Audio AGC at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old September 5th, 2003, 11:05 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Audio AGC

As a newbie PD-50 user I am curious on how many PD-150 owners set the Audio AGC to "on" or do you use the manual mode? everything about this camera is awsome so far except the audio. It is very faint in playback even on 48k and the manual level bumped up about three quarters. Does putting it to 48k help to increase pickup or just quality?

At what db level in the manual mode do I want to aim for?

I read all the posts but didn't imagine that the audio pickup is so weak that it's pretty much useless unless you are seriously close to the mic

I have read alot of posts about the ME-66 but right now that is out of my price range having just purchased the camera a few days ago. Any other reasonably priced mics out there that do a better job than what came with my camera?
Dan Tolbertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2003, 12:08 PM   #2
Wrangler

The camera has quite good capability with regard to levels. Sounds like you are using the on-board microphone on-board. Try to get the microphone closer to the sound source. Even the supplied microphone does OK when you do.

I've found the best compromise microphone to be the unit that is supplied with the Sony DSR-300. Although I can mount a long shotgun on the camera, that does cause problems because of its length and sensitivity to overload.

The ME66 will work OK and give you more volume compared to the supplied microphone for the same near-camera location. That is not how the 66 (or any microphone) was designed to be used but it will work.

I keep one channel on auto and one channel at about 30-40% in manual. That way I rarely lose audio due to over ranging of the ADC and I also get the mouse whispers.

While the 150 audio isn't perfectly quiet, it is more than adequate for most audio for video needs. Most of the hiss people hear is coming from the headphone amp. Don't worry about it. Do a test and listen to the audio after it is transferred to your editing computer. Or if you editing computer audio is also noisy, listen to the audio in a direct dump to a headphone amp or power amp, listening to the audio with a good set of isolating headphones.

I think you will be pleased at the results.
Old September 6th, 2003, 01:36 PM   #3
Regular Crew

<<<-- I keep one channel on auto and one channel at about 30-40% in manual. That way I rarely lose audio due to over ranging of the ADC and I also get the mouse whispers -->>>

I assume you are using 2 mics or am I missing something? Am I correct that the only adjustment that matters would be settings to Mic 1 unless I added a second mic which would then be Mic 2
Old September 6th, 2003, 02:20 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Wow I feel really dumb. I am really green on the PD-150 so I guess I will coast on that excuse for a few more weeks.

After reading your post Mike, I decided to switch my setting to Ch.1/Ch.2 instead of just Ch 1.

Wow, what a difference that made - ha.
The next question is does that mean it is actually recording in stereo when you use the supplied mic and set it to Ch.1/Ch.2.
Just wondering because I am pretty sure I have read that the stock mic on these are mono.
Old September 6th, 2003, 02:56 PM   #5
Wrangler

The stock microphone is indeed mono. The 1/2 switch simply routes the signal to both channels. That way you can guard against low and high signal levels.

Most TV sound is truly monophonic anyway. Stereo and 5.1/6.1 sound fields are almost always artificially constructed in the sound design studio.

Unless dialog is truly off-screen, it is almost always monophonic and coming from the center speaker in a 5.1/6.1 setup.

5.1/6.1 is truly built for sound effects, not dialog. Dialog almost always comes in directly from front and center except as noted.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion