DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   PD150 Questions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/14586-pd150-questions.html)

Kevin Lee July 4th, 2004 07:44 PM

Haha. Oops
Yes, Of Course.

Brandon White July 29th, 2004 02:09 PM

Sony PD150 - Looking for tips and advice on lighting, iris, etc...

Hi. I have an upcoming shoot in which I will be using the PD150 for a film. I am looking for any advice from experienced users and/or DP's that can give me some tips to get the most out of this beauty. I'm looking for lighting tips, audio tips and anything else that might help me get the best image possible. I've seen some great films shot with this camera so I know it's possible.

Any help would be great. Thanks,
Brandon White
Another Green World Productions

Patrick King July 29th, 2004 02:22 PM

I thought Alan Barker's article was chock-full of practical info for PD150/170 documentary shoots. Some of which MAY apply to your film or just help with wrangling the camera.

http://www.alanbarker.com

Frederic Segard July 29th, 2004 02:47 PM

Try this site too:

http://www.urbanfox.tv/workbooks/sonypd150/index.htm

Joel Ruggiero October 7th, 2004 10:59 AM

Pd150? Help

Hey guys I am a little new to the pd150 and haven't learned all the ropes yet but I have ran into a little problem. I have recored a lot of fottage but never played it back. So I sat down to capture at hope and I noticed that the audio only recorded from the right side. I dont no if this is a setting some where I missed or possibly something wrong with my mic or the xlr. Any suggestion would help.

Boyd Ostroff October 7th, 2004 01:36 PM

The mike is monophonic but you can set the channel select switch to send it to both channels:

http://www.urbanfox.tv/workbooks/son...pd150sound.htm

Don Bloom October 7th, 2004 04:38 PM

when set to CH1/2 it records to bot channels (left and right)
when set to channel 2 only it will record to the right channel only.
The switch is on the left side of the camera.

Don B

Joel Ruggiero October 7th, 2004 08:42 PM

Thnk you guys so much!!!!

Lasse Bodoni October 9th, 2004 05:59 PM

Sony PD150 manuall focus

It's not more than 7° C outside now. After a few minitues I'm loosing the manuall focus in this temperature. It does no metter if I turn the focus ring to the right or to the left, it doesn't work. The auto focus still works well. Is it normal?

Mike Rehmus October 9th, 2004 06:11 PM

No, operating temperature for the camera is from 0 degrees Centrigrade to 40 degrees Centigrade

Lasse Bodoni October 9th, 2004 06:24 PM

Thank you.

Alex Filacchione October 12th, 2004 09:51 AM

2nd camera to PD150

Looks like I am going to be getting a PD150. For hte work that I want to do, my partner and I will mostlikely need a 2nd camera. Neither one of us has the money to put out for a 2nd PD150.

What are my options for a 2nd camera then?

We will mainly be filming indoors, but at times we will be filming in recording studio control rooms, which can be darkly lit, and they won't want any sort of a lighting rig in there (though an on camera light would be fine as long as it is diffused).

So, we need a 2nd camera, and the budget is real tight. We are definitely looking used. The optimal 2nd camera would be a VX2000, but that might be out of the price range of my partner. What are our alternatives?

We want to be able to basically match the "look" of the footage as closely as possible. After seeing screenshots of the VX1000 vs the VX2000, I don't know if a used VX1000 will give us a close enough look. It is more grainy, the WB is slightly different, etc. Maybe the VX1000 will work OK...

We will setup the cameras to match as closely as possible in the field, and then try to fix the rest in post if possible. I know that only so much can be done...

So what are my options other than the VX1000? I am thinking either a Canon GL1 or GL2, or a Sony PD100. Something around $1000 price range. I have not seen any used PD100s so I don't know what they are going for. Used GL1s for under $1000 are easy to find on eBay, and used GL2s for under $1000 can be had if you are patient enough...

Thoughts? Comments?

Thanks!

Alex F

Tom Hardwick October 12th, 2004 12:22 PM

As I was reading your post my mind was saying ''go get a PD100'' and there it was in your list. What about the TRV900? (forget the TRV950 because of its appalling low-light capability). The 900 won't allow XLRs, but will intercut well with the PD.

But you know it and I know it - what you really want is a VX2000. They're tough as nails and seem to suffer far fewer of the problem the first generation VX1000 had. The first ones are 4 years old now, and will be a better bet than the PD100, and a lot better than the dissapointing GL1.

tom.

Alex Filacchione October 12th, 2004 01:10 PM

Absolutely right, I would get a VX2000 if we had the extra cash. As it is, getting the used PD150 is going to tap me out for a while! My partner has even more limited funds.

I'll look into the TRV900 as well. Not worried about audio. We will probably either record the audio to the PD150, or run it by itself and synch it in the PC. We will have to experiment a bit and see what gets us the best balance of sound quality, synch, & ease of use/setup (setup being on the lower end of the list).

BTW, my understanding is that if you run audio into the PD150 and record using DVCam you get true SMPTE time code. Is that correct? Will the time code transfer out to the NLE?

If I go tapeless (direct to disk) will I still get the SMPTE?

Thanks,

Alex F

Mike Rehmus October 12th, 2004 03:09 PM

The transfer of timecode is entirely up to your NLE. Same thing for the disk approach (assuming it has SMPTE timecode)