DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   PD150 Questions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/14586-pd150-questions.html)

Chris Hurd September 5th, 2001 11:58 PM

Where to buy the VX2000, PD150 or DSR250

Howdy from Texas,

A question I get asked a lot is, "where is the best place to buy a (insert camera here)?" The answer is, the place which will give you an honest deal with great service, and not rip you off by suckering you in with ridiculously low prices and then pulling the old bait-and-switch.

I'm working with several of my sponsors on a DV Buyer's Guide to avoid rip-offs. For now, though, I recommend that you deal only through my sponsor, ProMax. Their prices are *realistic* and their reputation is among the best you'll find anywhere. Hope this helps,

toni2222 September 17th, 2001 03:45 PM

comparison

Help! In your opinion which is better the xls1 or vx2000 . I can't decide.

Chris Hurd September 17th, 2001 08:46 PM

Well, in my opinion, a true "comparison" between these two particular cameras is almost pointless, because they're so different from each other.

One is a handycam with a flip-out LCD screen and the other is a hybrid, modular design with interchangeable components.

The biggest difference, however, is the image; the video they record. One is "the Canon look" and the other is "the Sony look." Each has its own legion of devoted camp followers who swear by one or the other.

The way you choose between these two camcorders is to ask yourself: which particular form factor do you need (handycam or shoulder mount), and what kind of look do you want your video to have. Only hands-on and eyes-on experience will show you what you need to know, so test-drive each before you make a decision.

Regardless of what zealous fans of either the VX2000 or the XL1S will tell you, the simple truth is that neither is clearly better than the other. They are simply different from each other , in many ways. Only your particular shooting requirements and your critical eye can make this determination for you.

If at all possible, try before you buy. Hope this helps,

toni2222 October 19th, 2001 04:26 PM

vx2ooo or pd150

whats the notable differences between the vx2000 or the pd150 help

Chris Hurd October 19th, 2001 11:55 PM

See the page called "The Skinny" on the VX2000 Companion website at http://www.dvinfo.net/vx2000.htm -- the differences are all clearly spelled out in the chart on that page.

Primary differences: VX2000 records DV, has a built-in stereo microphone. PD150 records DVCAM, has XLR microphone inputs. VX2000 is silver, PD150 is black. Not much difference otherwise. Main difference is recording format. Again, see the chart on the page mentioned above for a full explanation. Hope this helps,

Bob Zimmerman December 1st, 2001 07:42 AM

Chris the XL1s shoots in DVCam doesn't it? Still trying to decide on the camera I'll buy really leaning this way.

danomano December 2nd, 2001 11:04 AM

pd100 question

XL1s records in the miniDV format
im looking for a camera to compliment my pc110 which i use with .3xultra
ive been looking at the vx2000 or the pd100 or pd150
i dont believe the pd100 has interval record function
does anyone know this and will a dvcam and a minidv tape mesh well

Wayde Gardner December 2nd, 2001 06:43 PM

VX2000 vs. pd150

Unless you really need to shoot a DVCam format, go with the VX2000. Same camera minus the XLR inputs and shoots only MiniDV.

The extra dollars go a long way for additional goodies like an XLR adapter, better mic, WA lens, batteries, case, etc. you get the idea. Never have understood why the 2k is considered "prosumer" and the 150 a preofessional model (guess just the format thing)

WG

Don Donatello December 7th, 2001 04:40 PM

vx2k pd 150

<Never have understood why the 2k is considered "prosumer" <and the 150 a preofessional model (guess just the format thing)

sony considers 150 professional ..that why they fixed the HISS on it and did NOTHING to the 2000 ... if you are shooting and you NEED good audio without HISS ..it's worth ? ...to me what it cost for pd150 ... ( using a separate audio recorder is a PAIN ) ...

the 150 has :
better audio : woth extra $$

REAL smpte time code : worth extra $$ to many

smpte color bars : worth $$ to many

dvcam : worth $$ to many ( not to me)

B&W viewfinder ..many prefer it over color ..

XLR inputs with phantom power : worth $$ to those that use pro mic's and mic's that need phantom power

..yes you can add some of the above to the vx 2000 and as you add the extra costs the price difference gets smaller ...
xlr box @200 .... smpte color bar generator @200 ..phantom power @165 ... MD recorder @200 or dat @700 ....

it all comes down to how much would you use/need the extra features that come with the pd 150 ... for me there is NO choice 150 wins ..but for others the 2000 wins ...

Ronnie Martin January 5th, 2002 04:35 PM

White Balance and the PD150

On a two camera shoot the PD150 is the second camera and the main camera DSR 500 is the main camera. Due to the shot and the inexperience of the shooter the PD 150 needs to be in auto focus and auto iris. However, in an attempt to match cameras
the white balance needs to be on manual.

Is there a way to use manual white balance and at the same time have auto focus and auto Iris ???

The 500 is used in more of the wide shots and the 150 more close up as a cutaway to hide camera moves of the 500. Although the 150 is no "match" for the 500 it really does a
remarkable job. It appears a bit more warm and not as sharp.

I think if I could get the manual white balance to work while shooting auto iris and auto focus I would have a better match.

Thanks
Ronnie Martin
Kato Video

Mike Butler January 9th, 2002 06:50 PM

Hmmmm....Handycam or shoulder mount?

I submit that the XL1 is neither.

OK, I love my XL but can't stand shooting portable without a shoulder pod because all the weight is forward.

I used to shoot an old Panasonic S-VHS box that weighed a whole lot more but felt OK because the weight was truly on your shoulder. That is why I would love to demo a JVC GY-DV500. If it performs to a level worth the cost, it will be a pleasure returning to a true "over-the-shoulder" form factor....and a real rack-focusable lens.

Meanwhile I continue to baffle corporate America with smoke and mirrors whilst shooting my XL on a heavily modified Vanguard shoulder pod or on my Bogen sticks and absurdly overbuilt Quickset dolly.

John Klein January 10th, 2002 12:55 AM

While I don't have that cam, if it's built the way it should be, and sony knows how, I'd say yes.

On my canon, there are three (manual) white balance presets beside the auto, daylight and tungsten. There is a full auto mode which won't allow overrides, but only one setting like that. I don't think you'll have any problem.

No problems with changing shooting and lens modes, etc. But I haven't tested the white balance with different presets in 0, +6, +12, +18, +30 gain settings. That is where I might believe the white balance could shift a bit as there is perhaps some color to the noise when gain is applied.

-=Lozar=- January 18th, 2002 06:03 PM

Use the small preset button options near the top of the cam.

Ozzie Alfonso February 3rd, 2002 12:47 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Chris Hurd : Primary differences: VX2000 records DV, has a built-in stereo microphone. PD150 records DVCAM, has XLR microphone inputs. VX2000 is silver, PD150 is black. Not much difference otherwise. Main difference is recording format. -->>>

Chris,

To me, besides the faster writing speed (and resulting video quality) of DVCAM, the big edge the PD150 has over most other cameras in the price range is programmable SMPTE time code. This may be of no importance to most but for commercial purposes it's a great feaure - one I wish the XL-1s had. Add tc and the XL-1s would be very near perfect. After all, the PD150 lacks interchangeable lenses.

Barbara Lowry April 4th, 2002 01:02 PM

P+S Technik Mini 35 Digital Adapter for PD150

The brand new P+S Technik Mini 35 Digital Adapter for the Sony PD150 will be shown for the first time at NAB in Las Vegas, April 8 through 11, Booth #L9557 (OpTex section of the Tiffen booth).

Come and see the demonstration.