DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   PD150 Questions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/14586-pd150-questions.html)

Troy Christian July 5th, 2005 10:45 PM

Thank You David

I appreciate your response...

Saturnin Kondratiew July 13th, 2005 11:37 AM

sony pd150! counters not counting etc...

so few days ago i reset my camera...
now none of the counters seem to move and data code doesnt show up..
all i have is 00's and -----
help please
thanx

Mike Rehmus July 13th, 2005 12:22 PM

That should not happen. Try resetting it again.

Boyd Ostroff July 13th, 2005 12:44 PM

Interesting... the other day I accidently hit a wrong menu item on my Z1 and got the same sort of effect. I don't ever use those time code options myself (which I believe are the same on the 150) and don't understand them, but I had accidently chosen something like "TC PRESET" - I think. Going back to the menu and clearing the selection made everything OK again.

Pete Wilie July 14th, 2005 10:35 AM

I had something similar happen a while back. Try pressing the "TC/U-BIT" button inside of the LCD compartment.

James Connors August 2nd, 2005 10:35 AM

PD150 Odd Problem..

Some might remember the audio probs I had earlier in the year with my PD not recognising an input on one of the channels, something I put down to the camera falling out of a bag, then solved with a reset.

I think I've found the problem, and its a bug (I consider it a bug anyway..) in the PD and not related to it hitting the concrete...

1. If you goto playback mode and choose a single channel (ie either ch1 or ch2, not both which is the default)

2. Go into record mode, and monitor your inputs.. regardless of the manual setup on the cameras flick switches, both inputs will react to whichever input you chose for playback...

Might be fixed on the 170, but I've never heard anyone mention this on the 150 before, and I refuse to believe its an undocumented feature, because its already done with the ch1.ch2 switch if needed.....

Pat Sherman August 14th, 2005 07:24 AM

SAME DARN THING WITH ME! I was about to toss it in the garbage..It's like one the first PD-150's made.. So it had the audio bug anyways..

I got some good news though, I just bought a used PD-150 kit with 4 Century Optics Lenses, hard case, batterie(S), Bayonet Mount, Manfrotto tripod and fluid head.. I got a sweet deal, the lenses alone are more than I paid for everything..It's in good condition considering it's been used all over the world for a small film company..

So now I have 3 PD-150's I shouldn't have jumped the gun when I thought the one was broke.. Oh well..

Pat Sherman August 17th, 2005 08:08 AM

This may or may not tie into this same problem.. Early PD-150's have several problems one being the famous HISS problem when using manual gain the other is the sound not recording to the proper channels selected or none at all..

Well the simple fix for this is to do a hard reset on the camera and then all channels work as they should. I have one of the first PD-150 and about every 100 hours or so, it happens to me and I just do a hard reset and all is well again.

Shawn Alyasiri February 13th, 2006 05:27 PM

PD150 - single pixel out - any masking utilities in the camera?

Hi. I just noticed that one of my trusty PD150's has a single pixel out. A number of my bigger cameras have pixel masking utilities, where the camera automatically tries to fix the missing pixel(s) by blending, etc.

I'm curious if the PD150 has any similar abilities, hidden factory service menu's or other utilities (hidden or not) to minimize or eliminate the anomaly.

Hopefully there's something handy that can be done by the user.

Any advice?

Thanks much,
Shawn

Don Bloom February 13th, 2006 10:40 PM

none that I'm aware of or have ever seen in my 150s.
Sorry;-(
Don

Ben Furfie March 28th, 2006 11:20 AM

How Much For This PD150

I'm currently being offered a PD-150 PAL with usage times of:

Operation
100x10 Hrs

Drum Run
59x10Hrs

Tape Run
31x10Hrs

Threading
141x10hrs

Plus:

DSR-PD150P Serial Number – 1038966

Standard Lens Hood

Standard Lens Cap

Small Viewfinder Rubber Cap

ECM-NV1 Top Mic

Top Mic Foam

Large Rubber Eye Piece

Sony VCL-HG0758 x0.7 Wide Angle Conversion Lens

Front W/a Lens Cap

Rear W/a Lens Cap

AC-V700 F Series Battery Charger

Figure 8 Mains Lead

NP-F960 High Capacity Sony Batteries

HVL-20DW2 Battery Powered Top Light

Instruction Manual (English)

1550 Peli Case – Foamed out to fit the camera Perfectly!

How much do you recommend I pay at the most?

Tom Hardwick March 28th, 2006 12:47 PM

Does it come with any sort of guarantee, even for a few weeks? Have you had a close look at it, inspected the screw heads and the front element? I'd say it was in the £1500 ball park, because the accessories are valuable.

Remember you can get a brand-spanking new VX2k1 for less than £1600.

tom.

Neil McLean April 26th, 2006 06:31 AM

Camera to Compliment a PD150

Hello,

I'm looking for a camera that will cover a width of 45 feet (13m), from a distance of 25 feet (8m) away.

This camera will form part of a multicam shoot, with the other cameras being PD150s.

Previously I've used a PD150 and fitted a 0.3 partial zoom lens, but wasn't very happy with the results.

I done a multicam shoot with an Italian a few years ago and he used a Panny that had an extremely wide lens that came as standard on the camera. Unless I am mistaken, the Panny was in the same price-range as a PD150/PD170, though it might have been marginally cheaper. From what I recall, the Panny was a relatively new camera at the time.

Ideally I'd like a camera to compliment the PD150s that will form part of the multicam shoot.

My final output delivery will be DV, though this doesn't necessarily mean the camera has to be DV or DVCAM. I'd consider an HD camera if it was sufficient to cover 45 feet, from a distance of 25 feet away.

Whilst I appreciate you only get what you pay for, I don't have a mega budget to call upon, so I'd welcome any thoughts regarding the options open to me.

Neil

Mike Rehmus April 26th, 2006 09:52 AM

Neal,

Why not hire a Pro camera with the required WA prime lens? Much better optical quality and if you get a Sony 370/390, it will match fairly well with the 150's. You might have more problems getting a Panasonic to match up all that well.

I have a DSR-300 that I shoot as the prime camera with a PD-150 in a supporting role (for jobs that pay for the big stuff) and it works very well. Although I don't have a very WA prime lens for the 300 but I do have a Century WA adapter for its lens that works very well and has about a 5 inch front element.

Neil McLean April 27th, 2006 11:40 PM

Hi Mike

I actually typed a reply to your post a couple of days ago, but can only assume I forgot to submit it - DOH!

I'm beginning to think just hiring a camera might be the way to go.

Which ever route I decide, I'm now of the opinion the camera needs to be a Sony for a better match.

Many thanks and regards
Neil

Myron Iwankewich June 9th, 2006 06:59 AM

PD150 hard case

The people who made the hard case for my pd150 gave me a call and asked if I knew of any other PD150 owners who might be interested in their last two cases. I had my case custom made by these people. Using my measurements, they made a lot of five. They have two left. These are top grade cases made by a firm that builds cases for professional audio and video companies. These won't be suitable for the casual shooter, you wouldn't want to lug this around to the park! They're heavy. For the travelling pro only.

I promised them I would give it a try. They will let these go for $150 each. I paid $250. They are out of Toronto Canada. You can e-mail me if you would like more information or a picture.

Myron Iwankewich
iwankewich2001@rogers.com

David Aguilar June 13th, 2006 03:22 PM

purchasing a used PD150, hour meter?

Im looking to purchase a PD150 for a friend of mine, and found one for sale locally.

The hour meter reads...

Operation: 1570
Drum: 400
Tape Run: 560
Threading: 3610

are those hours good, fair, or bad?
guy is asking $1500 for it, is this a good price for it?
FYI the camera is 3-4 years old and comes with the standard accessories .

TIA

John Harmon June 14th, 2006 08:36 PM

That's a lot of hours, but less than were on mine when I got it in January. Mine had, to the best of my recollection, 1770 operation, 720 drum, and I forget the other two. I got the camera, wireless remote, three Sony "8-hour" batteries, a Sony twin-lamp light, deluxe charger with digital display, Canon wide-angle adapter, and memory stick reader, all in a custom hard case w/padding inside, for $1950 + shipping. I wasn't happy that the guy shipped the whole rig in just the naked case w/o packaging it at all, but it did arrive here in good condition.

The camera did work well despite a problem with the display, but it malfunctioned badly just under two weeks ago - it looks like a CCD chip went bad. I have sent it to Armato's Video in New York (they received it on Monday according to UPS), and I'm waiting to hear from them.

My advice is to test the camera as thoroughly as you can. If it works well, go ahead and buy it, but be ready to shell out a few hundred more for repairs in the future. The good news - these cameras are actually worth repairing.

Mike Rehmus June 14th, 2006 09:03 PM

I'm trying to figure out how one gets fewer drum hours than tape hours. The heads probably have one-half their life left but the numbers bother me.

Shawn Alyasiri July 26th, 2006 08:22 AM

PD150 - nothing but purple image

Hello.

I've got a couple of PD150's I use for B-roll. The newest of the two recently bombed out, occassionally showing a purple streak/blip/tear, total purple image, and then back to correct colors. It records that way on the tape, and passes that image to a firestore as well (so it's not just the LCD). I would turn it on/off and wouldn't see it do it again.

I turned it on a couple of days later, saw the same anomaly, then it went away. I tested it for an hour or two before a shoot last week and it was fine. Then at the job, it started doing it right away. I was fine, because I had a 2nd cam, and brought other backups.

However, now, it's purple all the time...

Anyone ever seen this happen? I don't expect that it's anything easy (ie: 'factory reset' - if that's even available), and would expect that Sony will have to look at it.

Does anyone have any good leads on where to send it (fair examination price, quick turnaround, etc)? It seems like the last time I called Sony (I had a spec of lint on the inside of the lens), they were charging a flat fee of $575 to fix these (or maybe just look at it). I ended up fixing that one myself.

This looks far more serious - perhaps a CCD going bad...

Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

Thanks again,
Shawn

Mike Rehmus July 26th, 2006 11:48 AM

Do a search on this forum and you will find that Sony has admitted a CCD problem that they will fix even if your camera is out of warranty.

Otherwise, Armato's in NYC is a much more affordable place if the repairs are minor. If they are major, Sony could be less expensive with their flat-rate repair policy for products under 7 years old that haven't been majorly abused.

John Harmon July 26th, 2006 09:28 PM

Looks like you lost the green chip, just like I lost the blue one (my image was green). Check with Sony to see if your serial # is among those affected. Armato's fixed mine for $295 + shipping; in my case there was nothing wrong with the CCD itself, it was a bad connector and some bad solder joints. Your cost may be less since I had other work done as well. Nice people to deal with and they stand behind their work.

Shawn Alyasiri July 27th, 2006 02:30 PM

Thanks fellas - I noticed the product notice from Sony shortly after posting this and sent it to them this morning. Hopefully no guff from them on it - I would guess it's out of warrantly (probably late '03/early '04) but has low hours and has lived a cozy life inside a portabrace bag.

I have another one that's even older - maybe 12-18 months... Hopefully that doesn't need attention either(?). It's been my failsafe for now... Got the Z1 warmed up in its place as well.

John Griffin January 17th, 2007 09:54 PM

Pd150

Well here is the deal, I may be starting a project on local cable airing fire safety topics and have come across a pd150 for sale from someone i know. All the footage that is shown on this channel has to be on sent back out to vhs tape after editing. I dont see them upgrading for some time. So will the 150 serve us well in the startup and what is a fair price for these with low hours.

Thanks
John

Boyd Ostroff January 18th, 2007 09:45 AM

Just browsing through the classified section here from the last 6 months, I see:

$1,250
$1,800
$2,000

All of these included a number of accessories, like the WA lens, extra batteries and chargers, etc.

If you're going to VHS tape you'll be fine. In fact, you might even argue that a PD-150 is overkill for that since the resolution of VHS is so low (something like 250 lines IIRC). But of course it's nice to have a camera like the PD-150 which offers good manual controls, pro audio and great low light performance; I'm sure you won't be disappointed. :-)

Brian Standing January 18th, 2007 03:31 PM

I'm still using my 7-year old PD-150 every day. Never, ever had a mechanical problem, still going strong and the video it churns out looks great -- especially in low light.

If you don't need HD, widescreen or 24p, there's no better small-format DV camera out there.

Snap it up!

John Griffin January 18th, 2007 04:01 PM

Great replies

Now another interesting find has come up, a GL2. Hum what to do?

Patrick Moreau January 22nd, 2007 08:58 PM

I've owned both. In my opinion, the GL2 doesn't come close to comparing to the PD150. Since you don't need the PD, if it is 30-40% cheaper, go for the GL2, otherwise I would take the better cam.

John Griffin January 22nd, 2007 10:37 PM

Thank You

Thanks to all for the responses.

John

Tom Hardwick February 10th, 2007 09:50 AM

I agree. The GL2 was never meant to be a PD competitor, it's just that Canon roped in sales because the two cameras looked vaguely the same. The PD range was built tough as nails, the GL was for Easter and birthdays.

The longer zoom of the GL looked a plus point, but Sony's much bigger chips (nearly double the surface area) meant far better dof control and much better low light performance.

tom.

Eric Westrom April 7th, 2007 01:28 PM

advice on buying a used pd150 or pd170

I'm looking to buy a used 150 or 170. I've been browsing ebay and want to know what to look for so that I don't end up throwing money away. How many hours are too many? Is there a good reseller there or elsewhere?
Thanks!

David Chia April 27th, 2007 03:28 AM

Feelers need for PD150

I was considering about buying a old pd150p camera for fun to use at home.

The hours on the camera is as such:
Operation: 186 X 10h
Drum Run: 125 X 10h
Tape Run: 46 X 10h
Threading: 336 X 10h

Do you think that the hours are too much?
The offer is about 750 euros. No warranty. Just camera, 1 battery, charger.

Gareth Dodd July 1st, 2007 02:39 PM

Pd150 wont zoom out

Hello all I have bought a Sony pd150 but for some reason The camera is locked in the zoom Position and when I press the zoom out button I can hear the camera trying to zoom out but with no luck the only thing that I have really done to the camera is tried a lens on it but that is all I have tried to press the reset button but with no Luck.I have searched the internet to se if any one has had the same problem and how much it would cost to repair this any help is much appreciated.

Thank you in advance

Stylianos Moschapidakis October 8th, 2007 04:33 PM

pd150: CD board assy?

Hello everyone,

Recently one of my pd150s exhibited the (acknowledged by Sony) "CCD Banding Issue";" the entire image produced was covered in its entirety by a green tint. I shipped the camera to Sony and just got it back. Among the comments found in the report of the repair is this: "Replaced CCD imager and CD board assy." What exactly is the CD board?

Thank you.

Russ Holland October 28th, 2007 01:45 PM

assy is usually an abreviation for Assembly.

Gawd knows why!

I only spotted this because I have a dvd player recently returned from repair and it said the fault was the 'drive unit assy' on the tech sheet and the engineer who brought it back to set it all back up again said the drive assembly.

This is the best I can come up with for you.

Stylianos Moschapidakis October 28th, 2007 05:51 PM

Russ - Thank you for replying. Yes, 'assy' is indeed short for assembly which I was able to figure out; however, I still don't know what the "CD Board" is. I was hoping that someone from this forum would know.

Boyd Ostroff October 29th, 2007 07:30 PM

Hi Stylianos. I can't link to individual pages on this site, but go here:

https://servicesplus.us.sony.biz/sony-parts.aspx

In the Parts Finder box enter this: dsrpd150 and click Search. Now pick your specific model from the list and click on it. Then click on the button to search all categories. It looks like this would be the CD-254 BOARD, COMPLETE part. Usually there's a drawing (exploded view) of the part, but that doesn't seem available here unfortunately.

But this might be of interest. Here's a VX-2000 (consumer cousin of the PD-150) being "dissected": http://www.camcorderservice.nl/indexvx2000.htm

Gareth Dodd November 29th, 2007 12:31 PM

Fixed

Hi people just to let you know I sent my camera away and the store said it would cost 370 pounds to fix i declined this price but when it got returned it was fixed I was so happy just thought i would let you know what happend

Gareth Dodd November 29th, 2007 12:54 PM

Sony pd150 youtube settings

Hello people I was wondering if any of you guys could advise me on setting up my Sony pd-150. for youtube I am in need to film better quality footage as my friends camcorder had better results. I would prefer to use wide screen for the shoots and unsure on what format to use dvcam mini dv sp/lp and so on we do use lighting and film out doors and in doors
my camera was second hand so not sure what it should be set to
if any one can advice me on any setting this would be very appreciated

Mike Rehmus November 29th, 2007 01:23 PM

If you haven't set up the camera at all, it might be a good idea to reset it to factory defaults. Look at the control panel in back of the LCD and you will see a small hole with the word Reset molded in the plastic. Use a paper clip to reset the camera and you are now back to square one.

In general, the camera will take great footage. You can deviate with manual settings if the camera doesn't do what you want. Any manipulation to feed the YouTube format requirements will very likely need to be done in a post process.

There is absolutely no difference betweeen DV & DVCAM in terms of image quality so use DV.