Softer film look at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old October 12th, 2003, 10:37 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Softer film look

I want to get a "softer film look" while shooting some scenes. I'm shooting mostly in auto but for this look could I just lower the shutter speed from 60 to 30? Is that how it would be done?

Also, is 60 the best shutter speed to use for "norma" filming? I noticed it goes up to 100 which doesn't seem to get a clearer picture. The picture looks like it gets a little darker so I have to up the exposure. Can someone help me with a bit of infor on shutter speed...

Thanks!
Brian Patterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2003, 11:27 AM   #2
Wrangler

Everyone has their own ideas on this, but here's what I do. First, I only shoot in manual mode because that lets me have the exposure control I want. When in doubt, err towards underexposing because once you burn in the highlights you can't correct it in post. Use the zebra patterns as a guide when shooting.

I also use a custom preset with the sharpness either at the minimum or one click above. Generally I turn the color level down anywhere from one click to the minimum, depending on what I'm trying to accomplish.

I almost always shoot at 1/60. 1/30 will give you a more "filmic" motion but you will sacrifice resolution in doing so. Do a search on "deinterlacing" here and you'll find extensive discussion. If I want that "film motion" effect then I do it in post using a little program call DVfilm Maker. This will give you a similar look to shooting at 1/30 sec but will preserve your resolution.

But it's really up to you. I think you should just experiment and see what you like. There are also a number of things you can do in post. In Final Cut Pro I make heavy use of the 3-way color corrector and also several of Joe's Filters. I especially like the diffuser which comes in this set.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2003, 12:53 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I have joe's filters. Which one works best for the film look? What are some of the settings that you have found useful?
Brian Patterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2003, 02:01 PM   #4
Outer Circle

A very nice softening filter to consider is the Zeiss Softar 1 or 2. You can buy them through Heliopan or B+W. They are very expensive so perhaps take your cam down to a shop that carries these and try them. I have these 2 in the 52mm thread size for my still cam. For my video cam (43mm size) I have a few Cokin softening filters which I also like. My favourites are Cokin's Sunsoft, 81A and 81B.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion