DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   How would you explain this? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/15705-how-would-you-explain.html)

Stylianos Moschapidakis October 13th, 2003 12:24 PM

How would you explain this?

Yesterday I was doing (manual) White Balance when I noticed, what it first seemed to be, a tiny hair on the LCD monitor of my pd150. But when I looked at it again, I realized that that was not a tiny hair but actually the shadow of a tiny hair which is (more) visible when I point the camera at a bright surface. This absolutely ruined my mood because I take very good care of my equipment (and particularly my camera), plus the camera is only a few months old and has only about 15 hours of operation.

I don't think it's a dead pixel because there is nothing showing on the viewfinder. Could anyone explain to me what might have gone wrong? Also, given that the camera is still under warranty what is involved in sending the camera out to Sony to have the problem fixed?

Thank you.

Mike Rehmus October 13th, 2003 08:13 PM

1. Post a picture so we can see what you see. I assume that an image of the hair appears on the recorded video, right?

2. I don't know how the optical system could focus on a hair so that you could see it. Perhaps if it were between the lens and the optical block you would see a shadow.

I don't know about Sony service in Greece but in the US, we have a toll-free number to call when we need help. We can even talk with camera engineers about issues if necessary. (One of the advantages of the 150 over the 2000 if one has a problem or question) Contact Sony before you attempt to send the camera anywhere.

Tom Hardwick October 14th, 2003 11:05 AM

Sounds to me as if there's a foreign body got between the LCD screen and the fluorescent light source - he says it's not visible in the V/F Mike, so I suspect it doesn't appear on film. As a guarantee fault I'd take the cam straight back to the shop.

tom.

Stylianos Moschapidakis October 14th, 2003 01:21 PM

Thank you guys both for your responses.

Mike, I actually live in Cambridge, MA and got my camera from B&H. I checked Sony's web site and found this toll-free number, 1-866-766-9272. Is this the same number you have?

As for posting pictures, the shadow does not appear on the footage.

Today I cleaned both the lens and the UV filter but no difference.

It seems to me that what Tom said might be the answer to this strange tiny shadow.

Any other thoughts?

Tom Hardwick October 14th, 2003 01:27 PM

I'm sure it's a tiny sliver of plastic from the 4:3 aperture that's fallen into view. Maybe a sharp tap of the side-screen will dislodge it and make it fall out of view. If not I'd be tempted to take out the four small screws (that have moulded arrows beside them) and have a look inside. A quick puff and all could be made well.

tom.

Andre De Clercq October 14th, 2003 01:36 PM

This needs probably a repair by Sony. But just for you to know: if the hair can be seen with a magnifier glas (Use the viewfinder magnifier optic, it's a good one) without the LCD being activated the hair will be between the LCD sandwich and the front protection sheet, if you don't see anything, it's behind the structure like Tom supposes.