How would you explain this? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old October 13th, 2003, 12:24 PM   #1
Regular Crew

How would you explain this?

Yesterday I was doing (manual) White Balance when I noticed, what it first seemed to be, a tiny hair on the LCD monitor of my pd150. But when I looked at it again, I realized that that was not a tiny hair but actually the shadow of a tiny hair which is (more) visible when I point the camera at a bright surface. This absolutely ruined my mood because I take very good care of my equipment (and particularly my camera), plus the camera is only a few months old and has only about 15 hours of operation.

I don't think it's a dead pixel because there is nothing showing on the viewfinder. Could anyone explain to me what might have gone wrong? Also, given that the camera is still under warranty what is involved in sending the camera out to Sony to have the problem fixed?

Thank you.

Stylianos Moschapidakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2003, 08:13 PM   #2
Wrangler

1. Post a picture so we can see what you see. I assume that an image of the hair appears on the recorded video, right?

2. I don't know how the optical system could focus on a hair so that you could see it. Perhaps if it were between the lens and the optical block you would see a shadow.

I don't know about Sony service in Greece but in the US, we have a toll-free number to call when we need help. We can even talk with camera engineers about issues if necessary. (One of the advantages of the 150 over the 2000 if one has a problem or question) Contact Sony before you attempt to send the camera anywhere.
Old October 14th, 2003, 11:05 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Sounds to me as if there's a foreign body got between the LCD screen and the fluorescent light source - he says it's not visible in the V/F Mike, so I suspect it doesn't appear on film. As a guarantee fault I'd take the cam straight back to the shop.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2003, 01:21 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thank you guys both for your responses.

Mike, I actually live in Cambridge, MA and got my camera from B&H. I checked Sony's web site and found this toll-free number, 1-866-766-9272. Is this the same number you have?

As for posting pictures, the shadow does not appear on the footage.

Today I cleaned both the lens and the UV filter but no difference.

It seems to me that what Tom said might be the answer to this strange tiny shadow.

Any other thoughts?

Stylianos Moschapidakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2003, 01:27 PM   #5
Inner Circle

I'm sure it's a tiny sliver of plastic from the 4:3 aperture that's fallen into view. Maybe a sharp tap of the side-screen will dislodge it and make it fall out of view. If not I'd be tempted to take out the four small screws (that have moulded arrows beside them) and have a look inside. A quick puff and all could be made well.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2003, 01:36 PM   #6
Major Player

This needs probably a repair by Sony. But just for you to know: if the hair can be seen with a magnifier glas (Use the viewfinder magnifier optic, it's a good one) without the LCD being activated the hair will be between the LCD sandwich and the front protection sheet, if you don't see anything, it's behind the structure like Tom supposes.
Andre De Clercq is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion