First Wedding Jitters at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old October 20th, 2003, 12:10 PM   #1
Major Player

First Wedding Jitters

Hello all,

Looking for a little advice on my first wedding.

Here is what I have so far.

I went to the rehersal to check things out and talk to the officiant. I got a nice little niche to set up my VX2000 to the right hand side of the alter out of the way, but with a good view of Bride and Groom from the front.

I set up this camera with a Studio one Pro adapter and a Mk66 Shotgun and Sennheiser wireless mic on the groom.

I set up a TRV38 camera for a wide angle shot from the rear to jump to during tape changes ect. Its about 3/4 way down twords the alter on the right. Standard mic for ambiant sound.

Hopefully the officiant will find out if I can plug in a Minidisc recorder into the house sound system. But they were unsure of where the key was or if it had an output.(so this option is not definate)

Wedding is at 2:00 in the afternoon on saturday. I am hopeful that you guys could point out anything I might try or tips/advice that could help me out with sound/position ect.

Thanks,

Steve
Steve Montoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2003, 01:21 PM   #2
Wrangler

ASk for a copy of the sound track so you don't have to worry about that. Then mix it in with the ambient during Post.

I'd put the MD recorder on the officiant because if you don't get the vows, you don't have much of a wedding video.

Always ask, BTW, if someone will stand up and read a poem or do something else that they didn't rehearse. 50% of the time, I get some level of surprise like that.

The worst one was when they didn't mention that the B&G would be walking away from the Officiant to deliver Roses to their mothers. And the Officiant kept talking as the Groom walked away with the microphone. Fortunately, as the Officiant refused to wear the MD recorder, I had stuck it out of sight behind a flower pot with my shotgun microphone. Within 6 feet of the wedding party. So I was covered.

Take spares for everything if you can. And lots of batteries.

Make immediate friends with the DJ as that person controls the Reception timing. You can be warned when the important bits are going to happen.
Old October 31st, 2003, 05:15 PM   #3
Major Player

Bring someone else to "man" the other camera. Even if they don't have experience, it's better than just setting up a stationary camera. Be prepared, you most likely won't be able to link into the churches sound system... GOOD LUCK!!!!
G. Lee Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2003, 05:17 PM   #4
Major Player

OH YEA, DONT LET THAT PHOTOGRAPHER PUSH YOU AROUND!!! YOU ARE JUST AS IMPORTANT AS HE/SHE IS! As a matter of fact piss him/her off a little, follow him/her through the photo shoot and video tape it, shoot stills and include it in your video.
G. Lee Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2003, 09:48 PM   #5
Major Player

Wedding went well !!

I appreciate the information, I think it went quite well.

I have already almost finished the editing and only have the last part of the reception to finish.

I did learn from a few mistakes I made this time so I can do better the next go around. I guess everyone gets better the more they do.

One thing that bummed me out was that my minidisc recorder that I had set up to record the vocals from the readers podium didnt record for some reason, I.E. Human error. But I had two good tracks that I got from my main camera and the secondary camera.

I do wish I had a second person manning the other camera, but even though it still came out pretty good for my first wedding.

I might post a link to a edited version If someone would give me some constructive criticism.

Thanks alot,

Steve
Steve Montoto is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion