PD150 manual: DVCAM, not miniDV? PLEASE HELP! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old April 16th, 2002, 08:24 AM   #1
marina***

PD150 manual: DVCAM, not miniDV? PLEASE HELP!

In the PD150 manual, on p.17, there is the following paragraph:
"If you record in the DV format, the transition of a tape may not be smooth. We recommend that you use mini DVCAM cassettes and set REC MODE to DVCAM in the menu settings to obtain clear reliable pictures."

What does it mean, "the transition of a tape may not be smooth"? What do they mean by transition? And does this mean that if I use miniDV tapes in a PD150, the footage will not be "clear" and "reliable"?

I was assuming, until I read this paragraph, that PD150 works well with miniDV tapes. But now I am worried about using them!

Has anyone successfully used miniDV tapes in PD150? Have there been any problems with resulting picture quality?

Any information/suggestions/advice would be welcome!! We are about to use the PD150, and have already ordered the miniDV tapes, - should we use DVCAM tapes instead?

Thank you.

Marina.
Old April 16th, 2002, 11:38 PM   #2
Incomplete registration -- contact Admin

I have used one with mini-DV tapes and had no problems - I'm sure one of the 150 experts on board here - will be happy to articulate the advantages of
DV Cam.
kgertler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2002, 03:25 AM   #3
marina***

DVCAM mode for miniDV tapes?

Thanks for your reply. When you used miniDV tapes in PD150, did you set the PD150 to DVCAM mode? I have heard that this gives somewhat better results when using miniDV tapes.
Old April 17th, 2002, 07:09 AM   #4

They are referring to switching from mini-DV to DVCAM on the same tape. The transition between mini-DV to DVCAM or back results in some loss of image quality. It's gone as soon as the transition has passed by.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion