Sony Vx2000 Nightmare - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old June 26th, 2002, 06:23 PM   #16
Go Cycle

Purchasing an expensive item from the internet does not always result in a savings.

This is why buying a huge purchase like a camera should be done locally from a dealer in your area. The dealer usually has more clout with his SALES REP. than low priced internet box houses.

Now, don't get me wrong. I order over the internet for things like tape,batteries and camera accessories BUT never would I purchase a large ticket item that requires immediate attention if a problem occurs.

Lou Bruno
Lou Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2002, 06:47 PM   #17
Wrangler

Everyone has a different level of trust, I guess.

I've bought 2 cameras from B&H with absolutely no problems. In fact, they are easier to buy from than my local dealer who rarely has what I want in stock and always wants list price. And his level of support isn't any better than B&H's. In fact, if I don't like something, he won't take it back as will B&H.

But I am careful from whom I purchase. And I know exactly what I want so I don't want nor need hand holding when I buy on-line.

When I do need help I'm happy to ask the dealer and then pay his price.
Old July 25th, 2002, 03:12 AM   #18
Outer Circle

I would take them to small claims court without hesitation. Just go prepared, with complete documentation (and keep your cool). Ranting is one thing, but (court) action will resolve the matter.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2002, 04:03 AM   #19
Air China Pilot

If court doesn't work I advise making a PUBLIC stink about it. Company's like Sony's have a brand to protect. Hit them where they hurt.
Keith Loh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2002, 06:04 PM   #20

Just read this thread (July 30). Based on blacksvn's nightmare, I wouldn't touch a Sony with a barge pole! That is one major reason I went with Canon--the XL1 Owners' Club. Recently, I had to send my XL1s to repair for a problem shortly after I bought it. Canon fixed it--no charge--and had back to me within 10 days (including shipping both directions) from the time I sent it. THAT is a valuable item to consider when purchasing anything, especially a camera!
Jay Gladwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2002, 09:28 PM   #21
Outer Circle

Yes, that's what I have to say about Canon too. They have very good support in the US/Canada.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2002, 10:21 PM   #22
ChorizoSmells

Canon also has great support here in Japan. I took in my xl-1 in on a wednesday afternoon and asked them to get it back to me asap, by the following tuesday they had put in a new drum assembly and I had it back that afternoon.

Not being in the same town as the repair center is scarry. When things like this happen, having to deal with this problem long distance can be tiring. I'm lucky to live 10 min. away from the Canon service center and 15 from the sony service center, if something like this happened I would stay at their customer service counter and not move or let anyone else get helped until they solved my problem. I agree with Brad, email and call them everyday and ask what is being done and don't lose your cool with them. Calling enough times they will all know about you and your problem and they will want to get your problem solved so they can get you out of their hair.

Going through a lawyer also seems like a good idea. I hope I don't go through this problem over here, getting a lawyer is impossible(way too expensive) plus even if I did win, I wouldn't collect anything, (people have had their kids killed in accidents and they collect maybe $2,000 and it takes years to make the companies pay up, if they ever pay at all) the legal system here sucks big time.

Make a big stink out of it, Sony will hate the bad press. Good luck.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion