Shoulder Mount Question + Steady Shot Anomoly at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old December 15th, 2003, 01:14 PM   #1
Wrangler

Shoulder Mount Question + Steady Shot Anomoly

Just back from Italy, and I've dumped my VX2000 video into the computer. This time, I took a tripod with me and, frankly, the difference between what I shot hand-held and what was done with the tripod is dramatic. The latter are home movies, whereas the former looks professional. It's not practical for me to drag the tripod everywhere, so I need to find an effective compromise. Is a shoulder mount the solution? I'd appreciate any input.

Incidently, I noticed another peculiarity of the VX2000. I usually shoot with an Optex .65 wide angle adapter in place. Because it rained a lot, I was used an Ewa raincape, which doesn't permit use of the adapter. I noticed that the VX2000's optical steady shot was a lot more effective without the wide angle adapter than with. I can't think of any reason why this should be so, but the difference was clearly visible -- with the camera on the widest setting, without the adapter, steady shot eliminated almost all visible shake. With the adapter, the image was steadier than without, but still quite shaky. Has anyone else noticed this?
Paul Tauger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2003, 07:20 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Hi Paul,
In answer to your question about a shoulder brace, I still use one occassionally with the 150, WA lens,shotgun mic,on cam light, and big battery for the cam. The reason I mention all this is because if you get it balanced right it can be very easy to get reasonably steady shots. Long shots,time wise can start to get a little shakey after a while because you can only hold your body still for so long, at least I'm that way. After a few minutes I get tired, so I've gone back to my Bogen monopod with the feet. This way I can set the camera down almost like a tripod and if I need to pan or tilt I just keep steady pressure on the monopod. I aso have a 3063 head on it so I have the ability to pan. I just did a wedding Saturday that I used it in that way and the footage looked good. I like the shoulder brace for moving around like when I'm doing a corporate thing and I have to move position and then shoot steady for say 5 minutes or so then move again.
Don't think I helped mch but I use different things for different things also depends on how I feel physically that day. As an old fart, I get tierd alot more quickly than you young guys so pretty soon I'll need to hire an operator and I'll "direct" ;-)

As for the WA lens thing going on, I have to ask if your using auto focus. If you are try it with out it on as the WA will sometimes go a little crazy on auto focus not knowing where to grab and it goes in and out of focus. IF you're not using auto focus, I can't help at all on that one.

Good Luck,
Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2003, 10:05 PM   #3
Wrangler

I do believe that a WA adapter can do bad things to OIS.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion