PD170 Split Audio Input? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old December 26th, 2003, 06:50 PM   #1
Major Player

PD170 Split Audio Input?

You don't need a mixer for a DSR-250, with its split input ability -- one channel (left for example) recording the camera-mounted mic for ambiant sound, like applause, etc, and the right channel on a receiver getting the voice from a wireless lavalier mic of the host, or groom, or whoever, and then mix it in post as though they are 2 mono channels.

Question is, the PD-150 is supposed to be miniturized version of the DSR-250, so can it do the same thing? I presume PD-170 would be similar to PD-150.
Law Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2003, 08:54 PM   #2
Inner Circle

The 150/170 has 2 channels that can be seperated. I usually run CH1 with my shotgun and CH2 with my wireless when doing weddings or events.
Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2003, 10:15 PM   #3
Major Player

Great. By "shotgun", you mean the on-camera mic, right?

I mean, if both devices were off-camera, then any DV cam can do that, by getting a XLR converter that splits the stereo 1/8 into 2 XLR's.

But what I like about the DSR-250 is you can record one channel with the on-camera mic, and the other one via one of the XLR in the back. This way, I don't have to bring a shotgun mic support, plus the shotgun mic is properly "directional". Plus no messing with one more battery for the shotgun mic.

Thanks.
Old December 27th, 2003, 05:43 AM   #4
Inner Circle

The 150/170 has 2 XLRs that really don't care whats plgged into them and yes I do mean on camera mic although I've used it off camera on astand and/or boom. I've done talking head interviews with 2 shotguns,1 over each interviewee and each one run to a seperate channel on the camera-I've run a boom with a wireless, I've even run 2 wireless with no shotgun, each to a seperate channel. I've never had a problem.
Don
Old December 27th, 2003, 07:40 AM   #5
Major Player

Thanks Dan.

I should have re-looked at the audio situation carefully when I got a "professional" camera (like DSR-250 and PD-150), instead of continuing to spend several K's on now-useless mixers, wireless audio, shotgun mic, etc.

With this 2-channel setup and Vegas to split them into mono channels, I don't even need to hassle with a mixer on-site, and having to find somebody to be the soundman.

Just PD-170, plus one set of wireless with a lavalier and handheld, done!

(call me STUPID...)
Old December 27th, 2003, 08:38 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Don't throw the mixer out yet, sometimes it might be the way to audio nirvana ;-)

Don
Old December 27th, 2003, 11:06 AM   #7
Wrangler

Especially if you need to mic up a play or band and need it all to come to the camera via wireless. Easy way to collect all the inputs and output them to a single channel that can then be transmitted to your camera.
Old December 30th, 2003, 04:35 AM   #8
Trustee

Yep, Law, I went that way, too. Got a VX and
the lack of XLRs is always a hassle.
Did you check your 170 for that LCD door
buzz? I heard some guy in LA got an
NTSC 170 that has the problem.
Dave Largent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2003, 07:38 AM   #9
Major Player

Well, actually I gotten the VX2100 to back up my DSR-250 instead of PD-170. Should have gotten that though, now I am regrating.

I kept wondering the benefits of the PD-170 over VX2100, and how to justify the $1000 extra. Instinctively I like the XLR over the stereo 1/8 input, but still. And the in-video time-stamping feature was something I desired too, but have yet done any legal videography to again justify the $1000 extra.

The seperate on-camera mic was another plus, but again not quite enough.

Now that I realized the "standard" audio solution is one channel to the on-cam mic, and the other channel to the wireless lavalier, and mix in post, the $1000 extra is definitely justifiable. But I am stucked with the VX2100.

It will be my back up/second camera. I think I will just feed the lavalier to it, shoot from the other side unmanned to catch a direct shot of the groom.

So, for you people out there, unless you are a "amateur vacationeer type", get the PD-170 instead of VX2100!
Old December 30th, 2003, 02:16 PM   #10
Major Player

When they fix it.

Dave
Dave Campbell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion