user manual for VX2100? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old January 21st, 2004, 11:00 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Thanks Jon for your tips. I really need to reconsider on DVX100A now.

Let me make sure of this first: Are you saying that for progressive scan video, "mistakes" will be amplified? Meaning, shooting progressive video needs more preparation and experience to get good video?

What in your opinion are the factors for you to choose shooting in progressive or interlace if you had the choice?
Old January 21st, 2004, 03:02 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Hi Jon, do you know where to find user manual of DVC80? The main thing I want to find out is the differences of picture adjustment parameters between DVC80 and VX2100.
Old January 22nd, 2004, 09:17 AM   #18
Major Player

K-

I wouldn't say that progressive video will "amplify" mistakes. Just that there are a few extra parameters to be aware of. I feel that all video needs great preparation and care. Not just progressive.

As a cinematographer it is my choice. And I haven't shot interlaced video in a very long time. If I had to shoot some type of ENG project, then interlaced video would make sense. BUT if given a choice, I would never shoot interlaced video.

I don't know where to find a users manual for the DVC80. I'm sure Panasonic would have one on their website though. They use to have the DVX manual available, so I don't see why you wouldn't be able to find it there.
Jon Fordham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2004, 12:40 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Besides a VX-2000 and a VX-2100, I have a Canon Optura Pi camcorder that shoots progressive scan video at 30fps. It is great for pulling high quality stills from video. We use it a lot in this mode to capture stills at precise instants in time, rather than attempting to capture the right moment with a still camera. The video shot in this mode is usable if there is minimal motion in the scene. However, if you try a rapid pan in this setting, you will get stuttering of the image that is quite noticeable (and very disconcerting). This stuttering is particularly evident in scenes where you are panning across objects with a lot of high contrast edges. If you are very careful with panning speed when shooting in progressive scan, and if there isn't a lot of movement in the scene itself, then you can get decent video and still retain the ability to extract high quality stills from the video. The VX-2XXX cams can also shoot progressive scan video, but only at 15 frames per second. This video is always unusable as video.

I wouldn't consider progressive scan video superior to interlaced video in all situations. For us, progressive scan is useful in some situations, but we always use normal interlaced video where we want the smoothest, nicest video (weddings, plays, ...).
Alan Christensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2004, 07:58 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Thanks Jon and Alan. Progressive seems challenging here! And for the same reason, ya, I'd agree with Alan that shooting progressive in certain situation (a hurrying marriage day etc.) may be quite a big risk.

Jon, I did find operating manual for DVX100 in Panasonic website but not for DVC80.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion