DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   I just ordered a PD-170 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/20240-i-just-ordered-pd-170-a.html)

Manny Valencia January 22nd, 2004 09:53 PM

I just ordered a PD-170

I just ordered the Sony PD-170 from our proud sponsor B and H. I was surprised about the price being so competitive. I ordered the combo PD-150 and the Sony UHF wireless mic system.

I almost ordered from another website and walla! They called that what I ordered for $200 less, has no power supply, no nothing... It's not worth taking the risk....order cancelled and ordered immediately from B and H. It indeed shipped the next day, last Monday, and it is already at home today.

Now, the question of the day. Does it have the audio problem???
I will report back for those interested....

- Manny

Manny Valencia January 23rd, 2004 02:15 AM

The serial number is below 1212325 and indeed, it has the buzzing sound on the recorded video.

Otherwise, video picture is extremely sharp.

Boo hoo hoo!

I should have listened here on the newsgroup...

- Manny

Manny Valencia January 23rd, 2004 02:28 AM

I apologize. I accidentally plugged one audio channel to the composite video.

I am using a headphone and a stereo monitor and I tried opening and closing the LCD display but I could not hear the difference except, I guess it is normal for it that there is a hissing sound. Probably because the headset volume is really loud, and it must be normal for it's signal to noise ratio.

- Manny

Shawn Mielke January 23rd, 2004 06:47 AM

Mike, is it worth locking something at the top here that explicitly makes clear the audio problem (the global dvc website add., whatever)?
Too many lemmings jumping off the cliff around here...
Just a thought.

Shawn Mielke January 23rd, 2004 06:52 AM

Sorry if that last post was totally whacky. Been up much of the night updating softwares and doing homework. ;-p

Hans Kuipers January 23rd, 2004 12:37 PM

Manny : I think you bought it a bit to early looking at your serial number (see message below from http://www.global-dvc.org/)

Friday January 9, 2004

Latest users report on PD170 LCD hum problems:

NEW PD170 SERIE NUMBER
# 1212350 and up are good!
We prosume Sony found the problem and is shipping now a perfect PD170.
But has not officially confirmed if problems are solved yet,

Manny Valencia January 26th, 2004 11:25 AM

Hans,
I think the rumor about the serial number is wrong. I have a lower serial number and my PD-170 didn't have the audio problem as it was reported in the website.

I'm happy to report that my purchase from B and H is a good unit despite it is a lower serial number. I even received an e-mail from Steve at B and H that the NTSC units they have is good.

"As of this E-mail so far only the PAL system has this problem we have had no returns on the NTSC verson. No information from Sony on Serial numbers in NTSC.. ....", Steve at B and H Photo video tech support.

I think we have to let this rumor go away...

- Manny

Hans Kuipers January 26th, 2004 12:31 PM

Sony officially confirmed audio problem

Monday January 26, 2004

Today we finally received confirmation
that all possible audio problems with DSR-PD170 are officially solved. Mr Theo Vessies Sony Communication & PR Coordinator Business Solutions of Sony Benelux B.V. stated that from start some (but not all) PD170 did have audio problems with an opened LCD screen.

All new shipped PD170's starting Januari 20, 2004 with serie number 1213500 and up, will have a modification and according to this report have better signal/noise ratio than DSR-PD150. For buyers with this audioproblem in Holland with a Silversupport guarantee Sony will offer a free modification. For the rest of the world please contact your local Sony repaircenter.

For Dutch Buyers:
Gebruikers welke op dit moment het genoemde audioprobleem bij de DSR-PD170P constateren kunnen de unit via de Sony Silversupport garantievoorwaarden laten checken en modificeren. Productiemodellen vanaf serienummer 1213500 zijn reeds aangepast en vallen derhalve buiten de modificatie regeling. Praktisch komt het erop neer dat elke unit welke vanaf 20 januari 2004 vanuit de Sony voorraad geleverd is op dit punt is aangepast.

Hans Kuipers January 26th, 2004 12:34 PM

Audio problem (dutch readers)

Geachte heer van der ..........................,

In vervolg op onze eerdere correspondentie m.b.t. bovengenoemde camcorder,
laat ik u het navolgende weten:

Zoals u weet is er in de eerste productiemodellen van de DSR-PD170P mogelijk
een audioprobleem aanwezig. Naar aanleiding van de melding hiervan vanuit de
diverse gebruikers is er in de fabriek onderzoek gedaan naar de oorzaak en
mogelijke oplossing van dit fenomeen. Uit dit onderzoek is gebleken dat de
"ratel" in het audio bij geopend LCD scherm NIET BIJ ALLE UNITS aanwezig is!

Inmiddels is hiervoor een oplossing gevonden en de productie van de
DSR-PD170P is op dit punt aangepast.
Metingen hebben aangetoond dat de totale signaal / stoorafstand van het
audio beter is dan van zijn voorganger DSR-PD-150P.

Gebruikers welke op dit moment het genoemde audioprobleem bij de DSR-PD170P
constateren kunnen de unit via de Sony Silversupport garantievoorwaarden
laten checken en modificeren.

Productiemodellen vanaf serienummer 1213500 zijn reeds aangepast en vallen
derhalve buiten de modificatie regeling.
Praktisch komt het erop neer dat elke unit welke vanaf 20 januari 2004
vanuit de Sony voorraad geleverd is op dit punt is aangepast.

Ik hoop u hiermee voldoende te hebben geinformeerd, en zou het zeer op prijs
stellen als u deze informatie op uw website zou willen vermelden.

Met vriendelijke groet,

Theo Vessies
Communication & PR Coordinator
Business Solutions

Sony Nederland
Schipholweg 275
1171 PK Badhoevedorp, The Netherlands
A division of Sony Benelux B.V.

Paul Vlachos January 26th, 2004 12:49 PM

My B&H Camera Just Sent In

I usually take BBS-based complaints seriously, but with a grain of salt.

So, when I discovered this board after I bought my PD-170, I was alarmed about the buzz problems, but not panicky. I've been through stuff like this for years with alarmists on Macintosh and Nikon boards with lots of high level equipment.

So I did some testing. And then some more testing, just to make sure. Sure enough, when I opened the LCD, along with the high hiss, a low level buzz appeared. I sat with this for a few days, mulling it over. Would I have noticed or cared if I hadn't read about it here and at global-dvc? Would it make a real-world difference in my final product? It was, after all, low and only audible when the volume was turned up super high. Would anyone else notice?

This was late on Friday, and I decided to call Sony on Monday, this morning. I decided to put it to them and see what they said. I didn't anticipate much. With Apple, I once had to get a senior engineer on the phone, hold the phone to the machine, and let him hear a bad fan before they would ship me the new part.

Anyway, the woman at Sony Pro Services was super helpful. As soon as I mentioned the problem, she asked me to wait and put me on hold while she spoke with an engineer. She got back and told me I could send it back in and they would check it out under warranty. I mentioned that it seemed as though she knew what I was talking about and asked if it was a known issue. She said yes, told me the form to download and how to describe the problem. I just got back from FedEx.

Now I can only wait and hope they turn it around fast. I just had to reschedule three interviews and may have to shoot an event this weekend with a low level camera.

Still, I'm happy to have it fixed. And I don't blame Sony. It's easy, in hindsight, to blame and point the finger, but they generally try to do their best and they do a pretty good job of QC for such complex products. They were really helpful and I'll buy from them again.

Now, I just want my camera back.

Hans Kuipers January 26th, 2004 02:24 PM

I do not blame Sony !!! I am just happy they finally acknowledge the problem so I can be sure to bye a PD170 with no problems

Dave Largent January 26th, 2004 06:28 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Manny Valencia : Hans,

"As of this E-mail so far only the PAL system has this problem we have had no returns on the NTSC verson. No information from Sony on Serial numbers in NTSC.. ....", Steve at B and H Photo video tech support.

I think we have to let this rumor go away...

- Manny -->>>

Manny,

I received an NTSC model from B&H two weeks ago
that has this audio problem. I spoke with four
different people at B&H about this and made clear
to each one exactly what the problem was.
I tried to return mine but they wouldn't take
it back.
I know of a guy on another forum who got one from
B&H a month ago and his has the problem, too.
He was going to call B&H today to try to return
the cam; I told him where that was going to get
him.

So let me ask you: What do you think about Steve's
email now?

Paul Vlachos January 26th, 2004 06:33 PM

Yeah, and as I just posted above, my model, from B&H, also has the problem. I neglected to mention that it's a NTSC version.

Dave Largent January 26th, 2004 06:38 PM

That makes three from B&H.
Paul, where did you get this form. I'll be
needing one?
And who's paying the shipping? I had heard
Sony was going to be paying it.

Dave Largent January 26th, 2004 06:40 PM

Hans,
Do you have a link to that Sony news release?

Manny Valencia January 26th, 2004 06:59 PM

I'm sorry to hear about your problems. I hope Chris would bring this to the attention of B and H if they care about their reputation.

- Manny

Paul Vlachos January 26th, 2004 07:37 PM

Hi Dave.

Sony is paying overnight shipping. They gave me the FedEx number.

This is the form:

http://bssc.sel.sony.com/Professiona...peedrepair.pdf

If the URL is split when I post, just combine it. If you really have trouble, I can email you the PDF. I would recommend calling them, though, to get the FedEx number and to get a reference number.

I got mine at B&H. Don't know if you saw my post. They were a bit disingenuous when I asked them about it the other day, but I really can't complain about B&H. My only problem is that I live ten minutes from them. They're expensive neighbors.

Please let me know how it goes when you call Sony.

Take care.

Mike Rehmus January 26th, 2004 10:35 PM

The form is the standard Sony repair form and in no way is specific to this problem with 2100/170 cameras.

Call Sony, don't depend on rumors and word-of-mouth. Get your own information first-hand.

Paul Vlachos January 26th, 2004 11:14 PM

No one ever claimed this was a problem-specific form.

It's simply the one the woman told me to use when I described my problem to her.

By all means, each individual should call Sony.

Paul Vlachos January 29th, 2004 03:12 PM

Just an update. Sony told me it passed QC and was going to be shipped back either today or tomorrow. I'll post my impressions of the fix when I get it back.

Hans Kuipers January 29th, 2004 04:07 PM

@ dave : look at http://www.global-dvc.org/

Manny Valencia January 29th, 2004 08:51 PM

If my unit does not inhibit the audio problem, do I still need to send the unit for repair? Will an upgrade improve the signal to noise ration on the unit? Will an upgrade prevent future problems of having the audio problem?

Thanks...

- Manny

Paul Vlachos February 3rd, 2004 04:08 PM

Just got the camera back. Actually, an hour ago, but I had to let it come up to room temperature. Really well packed. The slip said "fixed low-level audio hum," which was what I'd put in my return form, as well as cleaning and adjusting, which I guess they do automatically.

It's perfect. The hum is gone and, perhaps this is wishful thinking on my part, but the hiss at full volume seems notably lower, as well.

Anyway, I wanted to report back. Turnaround time was 8 days from door to door.

Craig Seeman February 3rd, 2004 05:02 PM

Sony PD-170 and B&H

Just bought Sony PD 170 (NTSC) at B&H in person at store in NYC. I was very well treated.

I told sales person about the audio problems I've heard about the PD 170 and said I'd actually like to try the camera first.

They said if I do buy the camera I can try it out in the store. When I told them that some have posted "good" serial numbers, they took the time to get the serial number from the box. Didn't recognize the serial number becaue apparently the various web sites have only posted PAL numbers. Serial number is S0111104384.

The manager I spoke to was Zishe. I told him I had upcoming shoots and didn't have the time to send a defective camera back to Sony for modification. Zishe said they would allow me to exchange it on the spot if there's an audio problem.

I bought camera and went back to the manager's area. They took the camera out of the box and got headphones for me. Hooked everything up and open/closed/jiggled LCD. Not only did I not have any audio problems, I noticed the better signal to noise ratio compared to the PD-150 I had been using.

Shawn Mielke February 3rd, 2004 07:36 PM

Very glad to hear it. Thanks for posting, Paul and Craig.

Law Tyler February 6th, 2004 03:30 PM

Well Craig, B&H has always been very good. Although NY being NY, I hope your extra "consultation" with them did not prompt them to take out a later unit.

I say that because I should be getting a 170 here real soon, sure hope I don't have to hassle with send ing back to Sony.

Dave Largent February 7th, 2004 08:39 AM

Well, mine is back to Sony with "the problem".
Sony tried to get *me* to pay for shipping to boot!

Craig Seeman February 7th, 2004 09:27 AM

PD-170 and Sony

Dave,

Given the current thread, I suspect you bought yours before the "recall."

Before I went to B&H I called Sony. No apparent prevarication or denial on their part. They said that the bad units should all have been taken off the shelves (recalled) and that only newer units should be stocked (by B&H). They said I certainly should have the right to check the unit before leaving the store if they had the older units in their stock.

If Sony issues a "recall" to the retailers, one would hope the retailers would comply if they got replacement stock ASAP. I suspect this happened very late January which may have been after you made your purchase.

BTW B&H gave me 7 days after the sale to return the unit to them (rather than to Sony).

Dave Hagan February 10th, 2004 08:12 PM

FYI: B&H Still Selling the Defective PD170s as of 2/5/04

I ordered a PD170 on February 5, 2004.

About three or four days prior to my order, I called B&H to make sure that the audio issue with the PD170 was indeed fixed. I was assured from the sales guy that the older units were recalled, and they had new units from Sony without with the pull-out LCD viewfinder "buzz."

Wrong!

I got my PD170 today, and the first thing I tried when I took it out of the box was to check the audio with the pull-out viewfinder. It had the buzz. Needless to say, it will be going back for a refund. They wanted to know if I would like to exchange it for another, but I'm not going to risk it because I can't be assured that I won't get another defective PD170.

Right now I have a VX2100, and I wanted the PD170 for the built-in XLRs and the DVCAM recording. I even ordered a case lot of 10 DVCAM tapes. All of this is a bust!

So I am left with debating whether to send the tapes back too, along with a Porta Brace case, and getting the DVX100A, or keeping the VX2100 and adding the beachbox to it. Something I really didn't want to do. I'm not sold completely on the DVX100 (even the A revision). I am stuck between a rock and a hard place. I'm sick of the whole mess, quite honestly!

Paul Vlachos February 10th, 2004 08:27 PM

I believe that one vendor was mentioned earlier or in another thread who assured that they had the post problem models.

What do you do with your cameras, specifically the 2100?

Dave Hagan February 10th, 2004 09:14 PM

I planned on using the PD170 for documentary work and ads...something the VX2100 can do, but I wanted the safety of DVCAM and the XLR audio. :(

Paul Vlachos February 10th, 2004 09:20 PM

Dave,

You\'d probably be more than fine with the Beachtek; then you could just hold on a year or two for the inevitable "next great thing," camerawise.

Otherwise, just find someone with a camera above the serial number posted - contrary to an above post, my NTSC model seemed to be in the range of serial numbers that a poster said was different because they were PAL.

I\'m sure you can find a new one somewhere.

Allen Brodsky February 11th, 2004 11:43 AM

Dave,
Another option is to send your PC170 to Sony for warranty repair. According to other posts in this thread, the turnaround is quick.

Dave Largent February 11th, 2004 03:28 PM

Well I got my NTSC model at B&H that has the
audio buzz.
I contacted Sony pro about it. I was not notified
about any type of paperwork to include with the
cam, other than being told to send it in. I was
able to copy the standard repair form from a link that
someone else here posted. And, Sony tried to get
me to pay for shipping. When I complained about
this, I was put on hold for awhile and then given
a Fed Ex number.
It\'s been over a week since I sent the cam out
"Overnight Express" and I haven\'t heard any more
about it.

Mike Rehmus February 11th, 2004 04:36 PM

Ya gotta call them and stay on top of them. They have a habit of losing track of where they are at.

Joel Ruggiero February 11th, 2004 07:16 PM

ya sony pulled that crap on me a month ago. You just go to keep harrassing

Brandon Payte February 12th, 2004 09:01 PM

PD-170 from B&H

I received my PD170 from B&H today. It does not appear to have the audio hum problem. I tested it with the LCD open and recorded to tape. I also listened with headphones and compared it to my PD150.

For the guys who have had the audio hum problem... is it pretty loud and would I have noticed it as soon as I opened the LCD?

Dave Hagan February 12th, 2004 09:07 PM

Depends on the angle of the screen.

Joe Orlando February 12th, 2004 09:17 PM

i received a pd170 from B&H aroun jan23 and i had the hum problem.. I took a chance and made an exchange and received a newer model on 02-11-04 and the hum is gone the serial number starts with 1113--- but it works.The cool thing is i didn\'t say anything about shipping and received the invoice for the camera and B&H took $150.00 off the price of the camera.thats good business.

Paul Vlachos February 12th, 2004 09:49 PM

Brandon, it was not super loud with mine, but it was audible. It\'s not easy to distinguish noises at first over the hiss of full volume in headphones.

Mine appeared as soon as the lcd was opened a bit, at any angle. I\'d leave the volume up at full, then close the door. Put on the headphones with the camera on VCR, no mic attached - this is what worked for me, at least - then crack the door and listen. It was clearly audible on mine. Not loud, but audible. I hope this helps.