VX2100 production halted? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old February 25th, 2004, 01:30 PM   #1
New Boot

VX2100 production halted?

when inquiring about purchasing mics and lenses from Zotz, a rep sent me an email asking me if I was aware that Sony had halted production on the VX2100 due to a design flaw. Can anyone verify this? and if so, what is the flaw?

Forest
Forest Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2004, 01:36 PM   #2
Major Player

Forest,

While Sony did halt production, I was under the impression they have started up again. Not sure but suggest you do a search on this board since it was discussed in depth. Problem related to noise in the audio when using the LCD.
Rob Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2004, 01:52 PM   #3
New Boot

Thanks, Rob. I asked for further info from Zotz and was told a contact in the industry told them there was an inherent audio problem in the original 1000, then again in the 2000 and now again in the 2100. Sony apparently has denied the problem in all three cameras, and yet they allowed the client that had the professional version, the PD100, PD150 and now the PD170, to return their cameras for the fix. They denied there was a problem with the consumer version.
It was a bad capacitor that is causing an unacceptable noise level when capturing audio. It has always been that way I was told.

That's great if it was fixed, since I just bought the cam last week.
Forest Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2004, 03:27 PM   #4
Major Player

WHAT a bunch of GARBAGE

I bought the VX2100 right in the first few days when it became available.

Not only it produce good clean sound, but it is even more quiet than my DSR-250 (full-size shoulder-mount way more expensive).

In fact I just finished editing a one-hour video using the two cameras yesterday, and I was commenting to my guys how the VX2100 was much quieter than the DSR-250. Both cameras were ran using the LCD.
Law Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2004, 04:05 PM   #5
Obstreperous Rex

I would take the word of an owner who's actually using the camcorder above everything else. Thanks, Tyler.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2004, 04:15 PM   #6
New Boot

I couldn't agree more. It's reassuring to know that no one seems to be having any problems with this supposed flaw, especially after I just spent several G's to buy it.
Forest Hayes is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion