Please Help VX 2000 Tape drive noise at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old March 7th, 2004, 08:10 AM   #1
Tourist

Please Help VX 2000 Tape drive noise

Gents,

My VX 2000 all of a sudden started making a louder than usual noise comming from the tape drive or heads. It sounds like a motor winding up and causing a hum on all recordings..

Can anyone recomend a trusted repair center ?
I searched the forum for Sony repair center but did not find any contact numbers etc...

My camera is only 4 months old...hopefully will be covered under warrany....

Thanks
Leonardo Espinosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2004, 02:32 PM   #2
Wrangler

Assuming this happens with different tapes, not just one, you probably have a failing tape transport. Normally the tension arm is the culprit.

Sony normally warrants the labor for 90 days and parts for 1 year. You can contact them and ask if they will cover the repair but I doubt it. But worth the try of telling them that other owners have reported the same symptoms in nearly new cameras and you think they have a design problem.

Another option is to send the camera to Armatos in NYC. They do good work and don't charge any more than that required to effect the repair. A Sony flat-rate repair is likely to be more than $200.
Old March 8th, 2004, 02:43 PM   #3
Major Player

Had my out-of-warranty, self-damaged (don't ask) VX2000 sent to the Bristol, PA service center some time ago for repair. They did a nice job, and the camera works properly, but it ran me almost a thousand dollars; the only parts replaced were related to the tape transport mechanism. I still have the itemized list of replaced parts, and their associated costs, lying around here somewhere, I'll see if I can't dig it up.
Robert Martens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2004, 02:53 PM   #4
Go Cycle

It is your lower head drum assembly. Bristol PA also: 650 dollar repair.

Luckily, I had an extended warranty. The warranty paid for itself and then some.
Old March 9th, 2004, 12:49 PM   #5
Tourist

Thanks

I purchased an extended Warranty through Mack Camera...hopefully they will cover it.... Just need to figure out what to do about a second camera while they repair this one....
I guess it's time to invest in a 3rd Sony !

Any experience with Mack ?
Leonardo Espinosa is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion