Vx-2100 acc. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old March 11th, 2004, 11:52 AM   #1
New Boot

Vx-2100 acc.

Hello all,

I recently purchased a VX-2100 and am deciding on some extra batteries, a UV filter and a tripod.

1. Which is a good Brand of UV filter?

2. I've read some posts on batteries, and a recent post on 'camcorderinfo.com' mentioned an aftermarket battery posted on the following link. Brand is 'Amstron'

http://www.atbatt.com/getItem.cfm?ItemID=188&AffID=20020115D5981Y090204

Has anyone here used this battery? The user on the other forum said he did use it on his VX-2100 and it works.

Also in general do aftermarket batteries wear out faster than sony? Or develop memory quickly?

3. The sony vct-870 rm tripod. How good is it?
Would you guys reccomend it?
I already have a bogen 3011 tripod for my film camera. Would i be better of buying a fluid head for this instead? The bogen is very heavy though.

Thanks
Sandeep Raichur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2004, 12:17 PM   #2
Regular Crew

+ i bought a b+w uv haze filter for my vx2100 and i love it.

+ i bought the sony np-f750 (brand new still in sealed blister pack) off of ebay from a guy in hong kong for $40 including shipping. he sent it right away and it was packed nice and clean registered mail. i think his ebay name is thebattery or something like that.

- i don't know much about which tripods are good so i can't help you there.

-greg
Greg Wolfinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2004, 12:19 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I don't know about the filter, but as for the tripod, look in the local photo shops. I found some great bargins at the local family shop.
Old March 12th, 2004, 12:09 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I've heard of a lot of problems with people using generic batteries in their vx2100's so I just took the plunge and bought a np-f750 full charge on it I think is over 400 min, i forgot but it is more than enough to last me.
Steve LaClair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2004, 02:33 PM   #5
Trustee

Batteries - I would buy Sony's. I cannot say one way or the other, but there have been issues in the cell phone world with 3rd party lithium batteries exploding and catching fire. SO, I would stick with the big Sony.

Tripods - hearsay is that the Sony tripods on their site are not so hot. I would consider a 3011 with a 501 Fluid Head. Yes, it will weigh about 10 lbs, but it will tilt and pan like silk. Even with that weight, I do have to finger the base at times to not tip. The weight only is bad carrying it. :) If you have a few hundred extra dollars laying around, you can get one of the composite ones that are really light. :)

I, and I am not an expert, use Tiffen and Crystal Optics filters.
George Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2004, 02:40 AM   #6
New Boot

What about good mics and whatnot?

Sandeep, I live in Washington also, if you ever want to get together and create something give me a email...
Jay Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2004, 01:07 AM   #7
Regular Crew

I have some generic batteries that work fine on my VX-2000. They definitely do not work with my VX-2100. The 2100 recognizes that they aren't Sony batteries and shuts down with a message that you must use Sony batteries. I wouldn't take a chance with a non-Sony battery unless you had a way to verify that it works beforehand.
Alan Christensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2004, 01:30 AM   #8
New Boot

I bought the VSO-F960 H Amstron from ATBATT.COM and it works just fine in my new VX2100. Lasts forever. It's around $60.
Forest Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2004, 06:51 PM   #9
Major Player

Why mess with an aftermarket battery when you can buy a new Sony on Ebay for about 1/2 price of new? I've bought several off there and never gotten a lemon.

For mics, the Sennheiser ME66 is probably the most popular for the VX. I have gone to the ME64 which is cadiod. The ME66 shotgun was too long for my style. But that's personal preference. Another good accessory is a Rycote softie wind sock for the VX's onboard mic. Cuts down on wind noise.

Enjoy,

Mark G
Old March 17th, 2004, 02:05 PM   #10
New Boot

mark

Is there a cheap substitute for the Rycote wind sock. It's $50.

It looks like a little piece of fur. Perhaps could get some at a fabric store and stich it myself.

Any thoughts from anybody?

thanks
Sandeep Raichur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2004, 06:19 PM   #11
Wrangler

I wouldn't consider anything other than a real Sony NPF-960. Considering that you will use it for years to come the price difference isn't such a big deal. And the 960's are really amazing in their stamina. I can get close to 8 hours on my VX-2000 with LCD screen on the whole time. Why would you settle for anything less?

Tripods - spend a little while reading through Support your local camera. This topic has been thoroughly covered many times.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2004, 09:52 PM   #12
Regular Crew

I've been debating on what to do with my battery situation. Has anyone bought, or used one from here?
http://stores.ebay.com/Camera-Accessories-Megastore_W0QQsspagenameZl2QQtZkm

Better yet check out my situation.
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?s=&threadid=27390
Ray Echevers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2004, 10:31 AM   #13
Inner Circle

I'm right with Mark and Boyd. The latter puts it so well:

''8 hours on my VX-2000 with LCD screen on the whole time. Why would you settle for anything less?''
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2004, 11:49 AM   #14
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Tom Hardwick : I'm right with Mark and Boyd. The latter puts it so well:

''8 hours on my VX-2000 with LCD screen on the whole time. Why would you settle for anything less?'' -->>>
I just don't know what I should do with this battery I already have.
Ray Echevers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2004, 12:22 PM   #15
Wrangler

Since you already own it, just use it and see what happens.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion