Final Cut Pro and VX2000 or PD150 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old June 4th, 2002, 10:43 AM   #1
mcglynnm1

Final Cut Pro and VX2000 or PD150

Hi

I am new to all this, with a new Mac that I use to edit my music using Protools. I am about to buy a camera - either one of the above, with the expressed purpose of creating a DVD of my group [we are a Celtic Choir called Anuna] after waiting years for someone else to do it.

I have just purchased the latest version of Final Cut Pro, and would hope to use the camera in conjunction with live sound for interviews with the group and some live and outdoor landscape footage. Is there anyone who may have done something similar and can advise on the type of camera?

I know that the PD150 has a built in XLR adapter, and have heard rumours about the hiss still audible on the VX2000; are these things that I should take into account, particularly as a musician?

Finally, which of these will be easiest to use in conjunction with my Mac and Final Cut?
Old June 4th, 2002, 10:50 AM   #2
mcglynnm1

My email address

Hi

The notice board appears not to be showing my email address - here it is
mcglynnm1@eircom.net
Old June 4th, 2002, 12:09 PM   #3
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Welcome!

In terms of compatibility with Final Cut Pro, either of these cameras will do fine since they both offer 1394 (Sony: "iLink" / Apple Firewire) interfaces.

The PD150 is the better camera, with specs rivaling the Canon XL1s. Since you are a musician I'd bet that the PD150's built-in XLR audio ports will be very handy -vs- buying an XLR adapter for the VX2000.

(Caveat: I do not personally own either camera.)

p.s. I am moving your post to our VX2000 forum where I think you'll get more input.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2002, 03:04 PM   #4
Major Player

michael
as a new owner of a VX-2000 i couldnt be much happier with my purchase. i too was considering both the 2000 and the 150 and opted for the 2000 basically cuz i still consider myself a novice and also for the $1000 or so i saved i was able to purchase more for the vx2000 such as a WA lens and extra batteries, hard case etc.i have had no problems with FCP and this camera and i would say to stick with sony if u r using FCP ! ive read where there could be some firewire problems with canon cameras and macs but i dont own a canon so if this is true or not i dont know.the pd150 is a better camera though both utilize the same chip set and lens etc. only diference is the 150 can record DVCAM which will get u totally locked audio .though ive never had a drift problem yet with the minidv vx2000. also being able to buy mini dv tapes at wal-mart or circuit city etc. aided in my decision to but the 2000 even though the 150 can record minidv but only in sp mode which is good for an hour.so if money is no object and u can easily acess dvcam(mini) tapes then buy the 150 but if u r on a budget(arent we all???) then u wont be let down with the 2000 this thing is amazing.the hiss problem really isnt noticeable to me but i stick with the auto gain mic setting plus i have been using a sony shotgun (cheap $70) which uses t he smart shoe on top for power etc. and everything is fine though i plan on getting a beachtec or similar and a pro mic of some sort later on.ala in all whatever decision you make you wont regret for these are some fine cameras!

matt s
Matt Stahley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2002, 04:06 PM   #5
Wrangler

You must already have some method for recording high-quality sound if you are using ProTools.

If you use the camera for interview and scenic capture and not to record the choir performance, then I would recommend the PDD-150. That is because of the flexibility of the XLR input. Good as the Beachteks and Studio 1 XLR adapters are (I do prefer the Studio 1 Unit), they just aren't the same as direct XLR input with 48 volt microphone power if you wish. And the 150 has better control of the audio levels IIRC.

The 150, good as it is, is not the vehicle for capturing high-quality music. But with your existing capture system (studio?) you can capture the music and then lay it down against the video in ProTools for absolute control and lip-sync.

Although I have a copy of FCP 2 for the students to use at our local Community College, I'm not certain if it allows you enough time resolution to lip-sync the sound.

The 150 audio is more than good enough for interview and narrative work.
Old June 5th, 2002, 04:17 PM   #6
Regular Crew

The trouble is usually no low end response with most mics and especially the ones on the camera. For general tv sound it's ok, but not if you like to listen via a hifi setup.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion