Here we go- accessories for the PD-170 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old March 16th, 2004, 02:07 PM   #1
Wrangler

Here we go- accessories for the PD-170

Well I'm making myself at home here on this forum now- awaiting my PD170 by thursday afternoon. Man I hope I don't regret trading my DVX.... anyway- how about PD-170 accessories:

1. Cases. I see B&H has a Sony Softcase for the PD170 with raincover but it's selling for $180. Does anyone own this- how good is it compared to something like a Kata case?

2. Batteries. Should I go aftermarket or stick with Sony brand. What's the largest capacity Sony battery and what's it's "actual" running time, and cost?

3. Filters. I need a UV filter- most definitly. Is it true not all UV filters are created equal. I've heard people rip on the Tiffen 58mm UV filters. Are there "higher-quality" UV filters available....and if so how/why are they 'better'?
What other filters would you suggest for creative shooting?

4. Wide angle adapter? Is it true the PD-170 now is packaged with the Sony Wide angle adapter and hood. How do you all like it? How does it compare to the Canon WD-58- any better, any worse?

5. Tapes. What media should I use. If I go DVcam do I only have the choices between the 30 minute and 40 minute Sony DVcam tapes. I see one comes with a memory chip and one doesn't- what exactly does this memory chip in the DVcam tape do?
I'm also picking up a VX2100- what tape brand do you suggest for that. I have a large quantity of Panasonic MQ tapes I ordered when I had my DVX. Are these tapes (dry lubricant) ok to use with the VX2100, or is the VX not as sensitive to tape brands as the DVX?

6 Audio. How is the stock mic on the PD-170. I have a Senn ME66- anyone use the PD-170 with the ME66? It was a little hot on the DVX so I assume it will be the same on the Sony. I might have to send it (k6 module) in for the "red dot mod" to tone it down a bit.
How about wireless- which wireless systems have you guys used with the PD-170?

Thanks in advance to any and all input!
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2004, 03:19 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Glen,
Congrats on the new cam. As a user of 2 150's I can only think you'll really enjoy the 170.

I won't address all of your questions as some of the equipment you're asking about specifically, I've not used. So here goes;

#2-I use mostly Lenmar aftermarket batteries with the quick charger and frankly I've not had any kind of problems at all. Run time will depend on many things just 2 of which are, LCD use and amount of zooming done but the Sony batteries should last you at least 4-6 hours I would think.

#4- There is nothing wrong with the Sony WA but it's an individual choice. I have the Century Optics and KenkoPro and frankly they both work quite well, so I don't know that I'd be too quick to change from the Sony lens. Most of your BETTER lens are fairly close in quality

#5-I never run anything but PanasonicPQ tapes which are DV tapes. I don't think anyone has ever really proven that DV is better or worse than DVCAM. Personally I don't want to worry about a 40 minute run time and since no one can definitively prove to me that one is better than another I'll continue to use the tapes I've been using.
The tapes you have will work fine in both the 170 and the 2100, just DO NOT change tape brands or types without first cleaning the heads. (if you do, follow the directions to the letter)

#6 I've never been a fan of the stock mic on the 150 so I do use an ME66. I don't have the fix to the module but I watch my audio carefully and most times at a wedding reception I use the MICATT setting and I've only had a problem on 1 occassion that couldn't be fixed. The DJ forgot he could run the volume at less than 10 all night.

As for wireless, I've been using 2 Azden 500UDR's for a couple of years and haven't had problems.

Perhaps I'm not as critical as some but I use these cameras to earn my living and I will say that if take reasonable care and remember that they are delicate electronic devices all should be fine. Enjoy your new camera, have fun with it and get to know it like the back of your hand.
GO FORTH and MAKE VIDEO!!!!!
Good Luck,
Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2004, 06:15 PM   #3
Wrangler

Re: Here we go- accessories for the PD-170

<<<-- Originally posted by Glen Elliott : Well I'm making myself at home here on this forum now- awaiting my PD170 by thursday afternoon. Man I hope I don't regret trading my DVX.... anyway- how about PD-170 accessories:

1. Cases. I see B&H has a Sony Softcase for the PD170 with raincover but it's selling for $180. Does anyone own this- how good is it compared to something like a Kata case?

The case is from Petrol. I have 2 150's that I bought with the case. I bought the case as part of a kit that also included a rain slicker (nice one) for about $200 more than the cost of the 150 by itself.

I like the case as it can carry my WA, filters, batteries, tape, larger than normal microphone on Sony's CAC-12 mount and the headphones. Sometimes I even can stuff in a vhs tape. Zipper outside pocket holds the camera manual, slip in pocket on the other side holds folders, etc.

Others report liking the PortaBrace quite a bit. Brian Beasely (sp?) has one I believe.

2. Batteries. Should I go aftermarket or stick with Sony brand. What's the largest capacity Sony battery and what's it's "actual" running time, and cost?

I stick with Sony. 4.5 hours with LCD panel. About $140 at B&H

3. Filters. I need a UV filter- most definitly. Is it true not all UV filters are created equal. I've heard people rip on the Tiffen 58mm UV filters. Are there "higher-quality" UV filters available....and if so how/why are they 'better'?
What other filters would you suggest for creative shooting?

I want the best I can buy in front of the lens. Right now, that seems to be the B+W. Multicoating, quality of the glass, quality of the grind on the glass, mounting ring material, quality of the work.

4. Wide angle adapter? Is it true the PD-170 now is packaged with the Sony Wide angle adapter and hood. How do you all like it? How does it compare to the Canon WD-58- any better, any worse?

No knowledge, I use the Century which I find a bit soft.

5. Tapes. What media should I use. If I go DVcam do I only have the choices between the 30 minute and 40 minute Sony DVcam tapes. I see one comes with a memory chip and one doesn't- what exactly does this memory chip in the DVcam tape do?

I don't run DVCam tape in mine. I run the least expensive Sony brand with absolutely no problems. I also run in DV mode, not DVCam so I get 60 minutes per tape. If you run in DVCam mode you will get 40 minutes per dv tape.

Unless you had some marginal tape you were using, DVCam will give no better picture quality. DVCam was designed to allow broadcast stations to continue with their linear editing style of workflow. DV works just fine in a NLE environment because you aren't shuttling the tape a lot and aren't into heavy reuse of tape.

I'm also picking up a VX2100- what tape brand do you suggest for that. I have a large quantity of Panasonic MQ tapes I ordered when I had my DVX. Are these tapes (dry lubricant) ok to use with the VX2100, or is the VX not as sensitive to tape brands as the DVX?

You may be OK with using the Panny's exclusively. I think that Sony knows best how to formulate tapes for their heads. So I stick with Sony.

6 Audio. How is the stock mic on the PD-170. I have a Senn ME66- anyone use the PD-170 with the ME66? It was a little hot on the DVX so I assume it will be the same on the Sony. I might have to send it (k6 module) in for the "red dot mod" to tone it down a bit.

You need a different mount for the 66 because it will show in the shot when you use the WA adapter. I use the CAC-12 from Sony since I had a couple.

How about wireless- which wireless systems have you guys used with the PD-170?

I use the Sennheiser UW100 system with great results. They are coming out with a replacement system that is smaller. Can usually find the current model for about $500 with lav and transmitter plus the plug-on transmitter and the receiver.

Thanks in advance to any and all input! -->>>

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion