Audio Adapters for VX2000 - advice please! - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old April 9th, 2004, 09:36 PM   #16
Trustee

Phantom power:
Mics require power, some use a battery , some use "phantom" and some will use either.

Phantom power is external power. Some cameras and most preamps and mixers supply phantom.

Mics like the Sennheiser ME66, the AT 897 and the rode NT3 use battery if there is no phantom (external power). If phantom power is available they will use it. Mics generally have better output and dynamic range with phantom.

Most really good mics require phantom power.

Pre Amplification.

Preamps raise the audio level of the signal coming from the microphone. This stronger signal has less reliance on the crappy onboard preamplifiers. My MixPre, the Sound Devices MP1 , the Beach Tek DXA-8 and most other preamps (mixers) have high quality components, much better than the on board (camera) pre amplifiers.
Since most of the work is done before the camera preamp gets ahold of the audio, it doesn't effect it that much.

When I mentioned that Beach tec allowed you to run with the on board preamp set to 20-25%, that's what i was talking about.

Audio questions would be better answered in the "Now hear This" forum.
Bryan Beasleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2004, 12:01 AM   #17
Wrangler

A pre-amp takes the low-voltage signal from a source like a microphone and amplifies it so it will be at the proper voltage levels to drive a line-level input. Line-level inputs, for example, are those red and white RCA connectors you find on the inputs of stereo amplifiers and television monitors. Your camera has a pair of line-level connectors which can either supply or accept line-level audio signals depending on how you are using your camera.

When the camera is used as a playback VCR, the line-level connectors supply the audio signal to another device like, for example, a television. This also holds true if you are using the camera in Camera mode. You can feed a television monitor with audio and video.

In VTR recording mode, the line-level connectors accept audio signals for recording along with the video when you record analog signals. (when you use the firewire connector for input and output, the audio signal is carried on the firewire cable along with the video.)

A microphone signal is of significantly lower voltage than line-level and your camera's microphone input, the 1/8" connector is connected to an internal pre-amp so that external microphones can be attached.

Both the Sennheiser and AT microphones are powered by an AA battery that you insert in the microphone handle ao you don't require Phantom power to use them although the AT, at least, can be powered by Phantom power if it is available.

Phantom power is a voltage that is applied to balanced microphone signal leads to provide operating power for the microphone. Because of the way microphones are normally wired, a microphone that doesn't need Phantom power doesn't even 'see' it. Hence the name, 'Phantom.'
Old April 10th, 2004, 12:08 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Thanks for the tutorial... now about "Now Hear This"...

Thanks for the info guys....

Yes, my original post back in February was in "Now Hear This". I figured I would post something here because the audio stuff I need is more geared towards a VX2000, and was seeking out the best equipment for it.

I am still open to any other suggestions.
Linda Schodowsky is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion