PD170 vs VX2100 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old April 12th, 2004, 06:39 PM   #1
Tourist

PD170 vs VX2100

I will be purchasing my first 3-chip camera sometime in the next few days. I will be creating videos on DVD and VHS for distributin on customfilx.com.
I am debating between the pd 170 and vx2100.
From what I can gather the only real differences are:
xlr vs mini mike jack
dvcam-
a few hundred bucks
am I missing anything here?
All coments are appriciated.

Thanks
Jeff
Jeff Yentzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2004, 08:40 PM   #2
Regular Crew

The major functional difference is the audio. Not only does the 170 have XLR audio built in, but the audio channels can be configured separately with regard to source and audio setting. That allows you to use the on-camera mike along with a wireless mike. It also allows you to use AGC leveling on one channel and a manually set level on the other channel. The 2100 audio channels are "ganged" together from a control standpoint. Both are AGC, or both are manual. Once a plug is inserted into the audio mini-plug, the onboard stereo mike is disconnected and cannot be used in any way. Because of the ganging, you must use the manual mode if you are planning to record two different mikes onto the same channel (otherwise you will get some very weird stuff as the two channels modulate each other...). An external unit like the Beachtek is required to independently adjust the levels. My experience with the 2100 is that using a single wireless mike into both channels is very easy. Using two mikes with the Beachtek is a hassle. If you are planning to do a lot of work that requires you to record multiple audio channels at the same time, then I'd highly recommend the 170. If this is not a common thing for your application, then the 2100 would be fine.

I recently bought a 2100 to go with my 2000, as I needed a two camera setup. Because I am using two cameras, the need to record two independent channels into one camera has became less important. Although I still salivate over the 170, I realize that the difference in cost could get me a good ways to a third camera...

Others have also pointed out that the professional division supports the 170 and the consumer division supports the 2100. I have never had a problem with my cameras, so I can't comment on the value of this difference.
Alan Christensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2004, 11:05 AM   #3
Regular Crew

WA adapter

I addition to the audio features, another major difference is that the PD170 includes a wide angle adapter. The WA lens is a useful addition if not necessity for many shooting situations, and would cost about $200 and up if bought separately, depending on brand.
Allen Brodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2004, 12:12 PM   #4
Wrangler

$300 for the Sony WA adapter bought alone!
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2004, 02:39 AM   #5
Trustee

Professional support you can talk to a *person*.
Consumer you get a synthesized voice, with poor
"voice recognition".
An important field-use difference is that the
VX turns off every 5 minutes, which is very
annoying.
Dave Largent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2004, 08:40 AM   #6
Inner Circle

In the UK you get a three year fix-or-replace guarantee with DV CAM kit. Also the 170 has a much smoother aperture control ring, with quarter stop changes to the on-screen exposure. These are much less obvious than the VX2100's half stop increments. It's a good enough reason alone to go for the 170.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion