DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   Which XLR Adaptor is Best with VX2100? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/25963-xlr-adaptor-best-vx2100.html)

Frank Granovski April 9th, 2003 08:08 PM

This is a really old, Sony built-in pre-amp issue. The VX2000 and PD150 do not have the best audio. Sony even offered secret audio fixes, for a price, and it didn't do much to improve the problem. However, this problem has been blown out of proportion, and re-hashed to death. If you keep the gain down, the audio is much better. If you couple that with a Beachtek, or other XLR adaptor (for the VX) and a good mic, the audio will be further improved. One step further would be the "BBC fix." It entails changing some wires around in the cam, adding a Glenbox XLR adaptor, and a good mic---such as the Sennheiser ME66.

David Hurdon April 10th, 2003 05:16 AM

XLR Adaptor for VX2000- cable option

Here's an item from my desktop wish list you might want to check out:

 XLRH8/DV cable Adapts XLR to stereo mini, bridges audio over Left and Right camcorder channels to eliminate noise. Blocks any stray voltage at camcorder input. Note: Some miniDV camcorders may not require voltage blocking. However, most Sony's work best with this cable. http://www.equipmentemporium.com/audiofor.htm USD$50

Daniel Kendrick April 12th, 2003 12:42 AM

The story I heard was that Sony would fix the audio problem on the PD-150's for no cost, but either charged people or wouldn't fix it at all on the VX-2000 (I just don't remember which was the case). But as it was mentioned, manually lowering the mic gain makes everything work nicely (about 2-3 steps below the mid-level will keep you from red-lining in most situations).

Julianne Kilburn, CLVS April 12th, 2003 09:12 AM

I have both. First purchased the Beachtek. Had lots of noise, crackling, etc. when I used it. Finally purchased the XL Pro and love it! No more problems plus it has Ground 1 and Ground 2 so you can lose the noise most of the time!!

Bryan Beasleigh April 15th, 2003 11:25 PM

Remove the Beachtec top cover and scrape the black paint off of the covers inside lip and the top edge of the box. That problem was a simply someone doing too good a paint job. The box was not grounded to the cover due to the isulating qualities of the paint. Because of that small glitch the Beach was labelled crap by a whole herd of users. Had you called BeachTec they would have told you right away.

Frank Granovski April 16th, 2003 12:17 AM

Yeah, that's what my friend did too---scraped the paint a bit. The Beachtek works like a charm (and so does his 2 VX2000s).

Does anyone use the Glenbox here?

Julianne Kilburn, CLVS April 16th, 2003 08:52 AM

Bryan: Well, indeed I spoke with BeachTek a couple years ago 3 times and no one ever mentioned this. I got tired of spending hours and money on long distance calls to Canada. They never solved the problem so I went with another company which I'm happy with. It's great that other people did receive help and were able to make use of the unit. I will try this and see if it works so I can use it as a back up. I've been meaning to sell it to someone who could troubleshoot it but haven't gotten around to it.

Garret Ambrosio April 16th, 2003 11:36 AM

Wait, my Beachtek that I just recently purchased, mentioned scraping paint of the VX2000's Tripod mounting plate (where the screws mate with the plate), so I have to scrape the paint of the beachtek as well? Please clarify. I did exactly what the manual has stated and while using a AZDEN SGM-2X Shotgun Mic from the headphones I can hear a hiss, real quiet on the background but irritating enough. Is this the dreaded VX2K hiss or is this a grounding issue using the beachtek? Even with AGC on I get the hiss, manual it gets a littel better sinc eI can turn up the volume. The third possiblity is what Sony mentioned, do not give much regard to hisses from the headphones since it has something to do with the amplified circuits. I tried to monitor the playback and it was seemingly clean, and I get the same results from the VX9K through the headphones, but it seems to be clean when I play back using the RCA cables to the TV. I haven't tried to capture it digitally and check. Also the last possibility is that the Beachtek is crap. :)

John Steele April 17th, 2003 04:49 AM

Frank,

I've actually just got a glensound box for an unmodified VX2000. I didn't want my camera modified for warranty reason etc, I know on the glensound site it says there's no real point in using the glensound box with an unmodified VX2000 but I called them and they explained the web site is a bit out of date and there are good reasons to use the box with an unmodified camera. So basically with the glensound box you switch the camera to manual audio control, bring the level on the camera down a good bit then let the glensound box do the rest of the work. There are limiters in the box which means even when you're on manual audio level you get absolutely no distortion when the audio peaks. I've only had it a few days so am still playing around with it, but so far I'm very impressed with it. Even with the audio set to manual and getting a good volume shouting into the mic causes no clipping or distortion whatsoever. Once I've had a proper chance to play with it I'll post more thoughts.

John.

Charles French April 18th, 2003 10:37 AM

Is there anywhere to buy used xlr adapters for vx2k. Havent seen anything on ebay.

Bryan Beasleigh April 18th, 2003 01:58 PM

Garret
The new units should be ok. The hiss is most likely not caused by the Beach. Do you have your pots set for no attenuation (10)and the switch set to mic (not line)The camera audio input switch should be set for mic, the audio on manual and the gain set about 40%.

If you've got the gain cranked up you will get the dreaded hiss. If anything I have to attenuate to cut down and i don't get hiss.

Garret Ambrosio April 18th, 2003 07:03 PM

Bryan, thanks, but actually I scrape off the paint and dang it had like a thick tar-like black substance that was kind of hard to get rid off. It did sound much better, I compared the on board vs. the SGM2x both at Manual and AGC and at high gains, yes I noticed that I get the hiss, but the hiss from the headphones was present regardless whether or not it is on the external and the built-in. Only was to rid off it was to turn down the monitoring volume , but almost to a point where I can't hear the audio. Any suggestions?

Frank Granovski April 18th, 2003 08:00 PM

Thanks, John Steele, for your Glenbox feedback. Any further info would be appreciated.

Sukru Ilicak August 19th, 2003 04:08 PM

Please Help: VX2000 and Azden SGM-X2: just an xlr to 1/8 cable OK?

Greetings,

I need to connect a VX2000 to an Azden SGM-2X. Do I absolutely need a XLR BP Pro or a Beachtek? Will it be OK if I use a custom made XLR to 1/8 cable?

Mike Rehmus August 19th, 2003 05:40 PM

No you don't have to have an adapter. A straight cable may work well. If you get a humm in the sound, you may need to put a blocking capacitor in series with the signal lead to block the 3 VDC that the camera places on the line to power electret microphones.