DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   Which XLR Adaptor is Best with VX2100? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/25963-xlr-adaptor-best-vx2100.html)

Mason Productions December 7th, 2001 01:10 PM

xlr adaptor cable for pd 150

Can anyone tell me if I need dc filtering in my cable from the camera to the mini jack on my azden wireless pro reciever?

Can this even work? I was told that you can't have an unbalanced signal go to a balanced input. Can anyone enlighten me on this and does it have anything to do with a single mono xlr input that records on the left and right camcorder channels.

I'm not sure what kind of adaptor I need, any help would be appreciated

Thanks,

Doug

Chuck Eichmeyer February 21st, 2002 12:35 PM

xlr adapters

Anyone have any pros/cons or experience to help me decide which XLR adapter to purchase for my Sony VX2000. Studio 1 XLR-Pro or the Beachtek. I'v checked both web sites for major differences but I have no field experience to apply in making my decision. Any help will be appreciated.

Wayde Gardner February 21st, 2002 12:55 PM

Happy as a clam with my Beachtek (also on a VX2000)

Look on eBay as I picked up a clean and dependable unit for 65.00.

I've also heard praises for the Studio 1. Either unit is a winner.

smartydraaws February 22nd, 2002 11:04 AM

i think both are great... i got the studio 1... mostly because i called them and the guy who owns the company is REALLY helpful and is VERY honest... he answered all my questions (ie i am a beginner).

hope this helps,

william

Chuck Eichmeyer March 18th, 2002 12:24 PM

Hissing sound with the Studio 1 XLR Adapter

Can someone clear up the topic of the hum or hiss one gets using the XLR adapters and the VX2000 when using the power supply? I have read posts that this does not happen when using the battery. I've read other posts that it's a crap shoot if you will get a hum/hiss or not. I'm looking at mixing two mike systems with the Studio 1 but I can't afford to buy and find out later it only works with battery power and not with AC. Thanks

smartydraaws March 19th, 2002 11:27 AM

i have the studio 1 adapter and it works great with the battery... basically you have to buy the f960 battery... it lasts forever... i got mine from b&h for about 100 bucks...

i always get a hum with the ac power, but i think ac power is worthless anyway (unless you're charging your battery ;)

william

combatvideo March 21st, 2002 02:06 PM

Studio 1 XLR and VX2000

I use a Studio 1 XLR Pro adaptor, and I have absolutely no hiss problem. However, I have never had a hiss problem with my camera, which was manufactured in Jan 2002. I think the XLR Pro by studio 1 is great.

Aaron Koolen April 17th, 2002 05:19 AM

Is a VX2000 + XLR addon pretty much a PD150?

Hi all. Been thinking about what camera to get and was choosing between a PD150 and Xl1s until I thought about all the extras I'd need after that, but with no money left in the bank after the camera was bought ;) So I thought I'd get something a bit cheaper and am looking now at the XM1 (GL1) and possibly the VX2000. From what I understand there are only 3 real differences between the VX2000 and PD150 and they are

DVCAM on Pd150
XLR inputs standard on PD150
And on board mics slightly different.
- Oh, and colour..

The optics as I understand are identical. Now if I don't need the DVCAM should I just get a VX2000 and something like a Beechtek (sp?) XLR adapter and be sweet. (I assume the beechtek is cheaper that the difference in the cameras)

Cheers
Aaron "going mad deciding on a camera" Koolen

Adrian Douglas April 17th, 2002 06:52 AM

As far as I know, you're pretty much on the money.

The Beechtek will set you back about $400 in NZ. Considering the price difference between the PD and the VX is close to $2000 it would be a good way to go.

Chris Hurd April 17th, 2002 08:06 AM

I agree -- unless you absolutely need DVCAM, I think the VX2000 is the way to go... unless you can't stand the silver body color.

;-)

Don Donatello April 17th, 2002 10:35 AM

the BIG difference you have forgot is the PD150 has much BETTER audio electronic's. if you remember there was a HISS problem on the vx2000 and pd150. sony fixed the pd150 adn NOT the vx2000 because the 2000 is a consumer camera.

i have used the vx 2000 in AGC mode with a studio 1 XLR box and the audio was fine. HOWEVER in manual mode i found the audio NOT acceptable as there was too much hiss ....

marina*** April 17th, 2002 12:02 PM

After spending several days researching this very same question, here is what seems to be an important difference that many people point out (and I was able to prove it for myself, by comparing the VX2000 and PD150):
the audio recorded on a VX2000 often has a slight hissing sound. The hiss is more noticeable when you switch the audio gain into manual, but it is also there when in auto (some say it is less noticeable in auto). The hiss can be noticed only when using good quality headphones/speakers.

The PD150s originally had the same hiss problem, but Sony has fixed it since then, and apparently units with serial number roughly after 1003300 are free of the hiss problem (see http://www.dvinfo.net/vx2000.htm - Dan Ballmer's review of the PD150 ).

That said, it depends on how crucial audio quality is in your work. I used to have a VX2000 with a Beechtek adapter like the one you mentioned, and did not notice the hiss until I compared the audio with the one on PD150: the PD150 is so much "cleaner"-sounding, with no hiss. The hiss on the VX2000 is barely noticeable (although I wonder if that depends on the particular camera).

To me, the main advantage of the PD150 seems its superior audio quality, as well as ability to connect external mikes straight to the camera.

Other advantages worth considering are:
-ability to record both in DVCAM and miniDV (and DVCAM makes a difference especially if you are planning to edit linear, as miniDV does not lock audio and video tracks together);
-black&white viewfinder (and color LCD display);
-ability to set and record timecode;
-more manual controls (gain is separate from iris);
-ability to monitor/adjust audio levels separately for each channel (Note: as I understand, the on-board mike on a PD150 is not stereo, as opposed to a VX2000 - but you can record onto both channels with it);
-built-in wind protection (selectable in the menu for each audio channel).

There are probably other advantages as well.

All that said, I think the VX2000 is still a good camera, especially if your budget does not permit to get a PD150. Good luck with making a choice!

Lou Bruno April 17th, 2002 06:55 PM

Don't forget that you can also seperate the DB gain from the Iris with the PD-150. More camera control.

If audio and the DVCAM function is not a problem, go with the VX2000.

Now for my personal evaluation:

I find that both the DSR-250 and the PD150 suffer a peculiar problem which the VX2000 resolves as it relates to white balance.

That issue is the color viewfinder on the VX2000 being a godsend due to rapid color temperature variations

These conditions can even change from one side of a room to the next-depending on mixed lighting etc.. I never found WB changes as pronounced than with these camera's.
I can notice any color shift promptly and make the proper color adjustment or re-white balance.

Lou Bruno

Brad Simmons April 27th, 2002 10:40 AM

I have the beachtek and I couldn't be happier.

madeline May 9th, 2002 09:06 PM

This is off sony's site:

DCR-VX2000/E Audio Recording Information:

It has recently come to our attention that some purchasers of the Sony DCR-VX2000 camcorder have had questions about audio recording. We thought it might be helpful to clarify the use of the manual and automatic gain controls.

" The Sony DCR-VX2000/E camcorder features a newly developed AGC audio level control circuit, optimized to handle the large Dynamic Range of Digital Audio. Design emphasis was given to the task of achieving a significant improvement in Signal to Noise ratio, and to greatly enhance camera audio recording quality.

Manual Audio level adjustment does not utilize the new AGC circuit. Manual Audio control is primarily provided for extremely loud and limiting sound environments. The conventional Manual Audio Level is comparable to Signal to Noise ratio values commonly found in Sony's comparable consumer digital camcorders. A difference in Signal to Noise Ratio levels between Manual and AGC modes of operation is normal and expected in DCR-VX2000/E.

Evaluation of Audio Signal to Noise should not be performed using earphone / headphone output. The earphone / headphone amplifier circuit has been equalized to emphasize high frequencies and is intended to be of "monitoring" quality. Furthermore, the earphone / headphone audio may not accurately represent record level audio since the earphone / headphone level can be varied using the volume +/- buttons near the LCD screen. Audio Signal to Noise evaluation should more properly be performed by playing back recorded tapes on a studio VTR."

Dean Bull May 9th, 2002 10:03 PM

xlr adapter for vx-2000

Ok, I need an xlr adapter for using a good external mic, but is there a cheaper option than paying 170 bucks! What is out there?

Chris Hurd May 9th, 2002 10:41 PM

$170 is actually fairly inexpensive. I think the reasoning goes, if you can afford a good external mic, you should be able to afford an additional $170 for the adapter. Or something like that. Look at it this way, it's money you spend one time but the tool is something you use over and over again. It should pay for itself rather quickly. Hope this helps,

madeline May 11th, 2002 08:51 AM

I recently bought the Beachtek DXA-6 (for about $270) and it is working quite well with the VX-2000.

Dean Bull May 11th, 2002 03:18 PM

geez... I guess there is nothing cheaper. Mini mike it is! or something. Maybe I can borrow it from someone.

Thanks

madeline May 11th, 2002 03:42 PM

Here's one on ebay for currently $80. Hope that helps....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1351269778

Mike Rehmus May 21st, 2002 09:08 PM

XLR to mini converter

A friend of mine makes these for himself. He has posted the plans on his website, http://www.take2video.com/general.html

Almost exactly the same as a Beachtek or Studio 1.

If you are handy with a soldering iron, this will save you a lot of money.

hymnchoir May 22nd, 2002 10:00 PM

No Hum, Just Poor Quality Audio. Will XLR Fix It?

Over the past 2 years, I have used a Sony TRV-520 with the ECM-MS908C microphone to record acappella choirs in local churches. I was always satisfied with the audio, but wanted beter video. This is a hobby, no revenue generation involved, but I love this genre. So, I sprung for the VX2000, thinking the audio would be atleast as good. WRONG!

I am not noticing any hum per-se, but the audio quality is just poor- little bass response, over emphasised highs with a "transistor radio like" distortion.

I have recorded in ACG and in manual audio modes using the MS908C and the onboard mike with no acceptable resolution.

Question: Will using the Studio 1 or the Beachtek enable a "good" audio recording? To the level of the TRV-520

Thanks - Hymn Lover

Mike Rehmus May 23rd, 2002 10:43 AM

The VX-2000 is capable of fairly good sound.

Couple of places to look:

1. You have selected 16 bit audio, right?
2. You have turned off the Noise Reduction, right?

XLR is merely an electrical connector that can be used for balanced (or unbalanced) electrical connections. Other than providing a connection for balanced connections, it really doesn't enter into the sound quality picture except for noise reduction.

It does not influence the sound quality in any other significant manner.

I'm not familiar with the operational characteristics of the microphone but if it is an unbalanced design, you may not be able to drive long cables without some negative effects on sound quality. If it worked before, it may not work now because of some difference between the input circuits of the camcorders.

There is a great deal of similarity between the 2000 and my PD-150. I find that the 16 bit sound is quite good. Not supergood but adequate for most industrial and wedding videos.

hymnchoir May 23rd, 2002 08:48 PM

Mike, thanks for the reply...My camera definately has poor (brite, small bass) sound quality, especially in AGC mode. In my readings I found quite a few other folks that don't like the sound as well. Yes, the camera is set at 16 bit and I don't think the VX2000 has a noise reduction option (atleast I could not find it).

I was hoping the XLR option would be the fix I needed. But I think you confirmed my thoughts that an XLR adapter alone would not create better sound since it goes through the camera's audio circuit eventually. Understandably, the use of more "professional" equipment may provide improvements, but again I was "very satisfied" with the sound comming out of the 520 with the ms908C (a $120 Sony camera-mount mike).

The camera is still within the 90 day warranty, and Sony has offered to check it out for me. But, I am a little skeptical on sending it back to them. (not sure what is causing my fear).

Have any of you ever heard of "deffective" audio in the VX2000? Has anyone ever got a VX2000 audio fix from Sony? Thanks.

Hymn-Lover

Dean Bull May 25th, 2002 06:09 AM

Don't go to the sight. It's just a trick to get you to go to some ones business.

Mike Rehmus May 25th, 2002 01:12 PM

That is not true. The guy is a friend of mine and he does have a video business. But if you look for tech talk, you will find the diagrams for the XLR adapter. I admit it is hard to find.

Here is the specific URL http://www.take2video.com/tek.htm

Thanks for your personal vote of confidence

Bryan Beasleigh May 25th, 2002 02:33 PM

Yes the site is a good one and no one tried to sell me anything. I had to shorten the URL to http://www.take2video.com/
For some reason I was getting getting diverted to the host site.

I'll most likely bite the bullet and buy the Beach Tec. Being able to mount the unit directly to the camera, plug it in and leave it there is very important to me. I kinda like the recessed switches, hard to mistakenly switch one. Besides it's made in Toronto and that would be the loyal thing to do.

John Klein May 30th, 2002 01:50 AM

I know that on my xl1, it seems that the mics are opposed right and left to give good stereo. This, as opposed to forward facing mics. I was thinking of just making a little sound reflector to get the sound IN to the mic.

I wonder if that's how your's is, whereas the other cam, I think has a more forward facing mic.

Bass? The mics are designed to roll off on the bottom end to avoid cam noise ( and save $). I know this on all to well.

hymnchoir June 1st, 2002 09:06 AM

The VX2000 onboard mike and the MS908C have separate left and right capsules, however the MS908C also has a middle/center position.

Before sending my VX200 back to Sony, I am going to try another mike. Can you recommend a full frequency camera-mounted mike with a wide dispersion pattern?

Otherwise, I am thinking of the BBC Mod. Do you know how much (in $dollars) the BBC mod is?

mustardseed June 9th, 2002 03:51 AM

how about a small mixer?

there is a cheap alternative but it is not portable,
you can purchase a behringer eurorack mx802a mixer from either
b&h or rock and ryhthms (usually they stock this item) for $99usa

It has 8 channels four of which have XLR that have phantom power. you can then send the tape out or main out to the sony vx2000.

The only problem it is not portable, but if you are doing a wedding or some indoor event, studio and plan to maintain your equipment on a tripod it works great. plus it gives you much more control over the sound enviroment. Since you can control voices with the built in equalizer.

Mackie also makes a small mixer, it starts at $300

Bryan Beasleigh June 9th, 2002 11:07 AM

Regardless of what is used , a 90 degree molded plastic stereo mini jack is a must. One wrong move with a straight mini stereo plug and you have a $200-$250 service invoice. My Beach Tec is mounted perminently and I have the 90 degree mini plug wrapped with velcro tape to protect it.

If something is going to get damaged it'll be the Beach Tec. (Or at least i sincerely hope so)

Chris Tsamados August 2nd, 2002 11:10 AM

XLR to Mini Jack Convertor

I've recently had someone make me up an XLR to mini jack convertor (which is basically a mini jack to phono convertor with the phonos replaced by two XLR plugs) but unfortunatly I can't seem to get it to work with my VX2000 and Sure SM58 microphone. Strangely it works OK on a friends camcorder (Hi8 TRV67) and also my stereo.

I know theres nothing wrong with the mic socket on my VX2000 as when I use a different combination of leads and adaptors it works fine, although this way means I have to use two convertors and one lead and is very unwieldy.

What could be causing this?

Thanks
Chris

Mike Rehmus August 2nd, 2002 11:46 AM

Is the minijack stereo?

Probably so. But one can wire the balanced to unbalanced system so that the signal is shorted to ground or not connected at all. What is safe for the 58 could be damaging to an active source like a mixer. You need to open the connectors on both ends and let us know what is connected to what.

Specifically, what pins on the XLR connector are connected to what pins on the minijack.

I build these quite often for the local community college but I don't carry the wiring diagram around in my head. Alternately you can go out on google and find hook-up diagrams.

Chris Tsamados August 2nd, 2002 12:29 PM

Yes the Mini jack is stereo.

With regards the wiring: mini jack earth (unwrapped copper wire) is going to Pins i and 3. Min jack plug tip (red or white wrapped wire) is going to Pin 2.

It's the same wiring on both XLRs

Mike Rehmus August 2nd, 2002 05:19 PM

The stereo minijack has tip, ring, and sleeve connections. The tip and ring are the signal connections for the two stereo signals. The sleeve is the common and/or ground connection.

Pins 1 & 3 of the XLR should be connected to the sleeve of the minijack and pin 2 of the XLR should be connected either to the tip or ring on the minijack.

If you use one microphone only, you want pin 2 connected to both the tip and ring of the minijack. If you use two XLRs, one should be connected to the tip and the other to the ring of the minijack.

Have your tried connecting the SM58 to just one of the xlr connectors or both in turn? Just in case the 2000 is funny about only having one input driven at a time. Or one side or the other.

Do not connect a powered sound source to this adapter as it could burn out the output amplifiers.

Chris Tsamados August 3rd, 2002 03:23 AM

I have tried the mic on both XLRs with no success and i'm not using a powered sound source.

I'm only using one microphone with it, but I didn't realise it would have to be wired differently to use two. I've seen the technicians, at my old university, using the same configuration as mine with only one mic plugged in and its been fine. Although I did have a suspicion that the VX2000 might not like the connecter unless to mics were plugged in at once.

I considering taking a lead that I have (a mini jack to mini jack socket), cutting off the socket end and putting an XLR plug on the end. Hopefully the VX2000 will like this as theres not two XLRs for it to get confused about.

Mike Rehmus August 3rd, 2002 09:29 AM

The camera is not getting confused. But unless it requires that both sides be driven, I don't know what the problem is with it.

I can drive one side of my PD-150 or VX-1000 with no problem.

You have definitely looked at the connections at each of the 3 connectors and know they are wired pin 2 to minijack tip and 1 & 3 to the minijack sleeve, right?

The only other thing I can think of is to lift pin 1 at the XLR connection, the ground connection and see what happens. Or lift pin 3. Might try one way on each XLR connector.

I just need to get to my notes at school. When I make the adapters, I do not connect all three pins of the XLR to the minijack. Yet other people do all the time with no problem.

One other thought. I recently purchased minijack connectors that were faulty. The center connection (TIP) was riveted to the solder terminal at the back. The physical connection did not make electrical connection. I had to solder the terminal to the center pin to make them work. But before that, they did not work in any manner, unlike yours.

Chris Tsamados August 3rd, 2002 11:43 AM

I'm possitive that it's wired correctly as I've used it with a friends camcorder with no problems (though I could only get a response from one XLR) and i've also checked various wiring diagrams.
What do you mean by lifting the pins?

Mike Rehmus August 3rd, 2002 12:41 PM

Disconnecting the wire from the pin.

Bill Ravens August 3rd, 2002 04:22 PM

the problem with this kind of adapter, that doesn't use an inductive matching transformer, is that you suffer a loss in signal gain. Radio Shack sells the appropriate transformer for cheap.