Azden SGM 2x or 1x for VX-2000?? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old July 16th, 2002, 07:15 PM   #1
New Boot

Azden SGM 2x or 1x for VX-2000??

Im looking to buy a supercardoid microhpone for a small sum of money. Ive narrowed my choices to two Azden models, the SGM 1x and 2x. I dont need an XLR box, as I had a friend build one for me. Anyway...I want a directional microphone that I can mount on the camera and get good clear sound with. The SGM 1x isnt as long as the full length 2x (11.8 inches compared to 16 inches) I know both will give me good sound, and the 2x will be a bit more directional than the 1x, but will the 2x look ridiculously long mounted on my VX-2000? If I get the 2x, will I really use the Omni capsule that much? Any advice on this tough decision would be appreciated. Here is a link to some specs; http://www.azdencorp.com/shotgun.html
THanks.
Chris
pineapples10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2002, 11:11 AM   #2
Wrangler

I don't know anything about the Azden microphones. But I'd like to learn. So I have a few questions:

1. You want a supercard instead of a line-array microphone, right? The line-arrays are more directional at the expense of a few other operating parameters. Still, most people chose these types of microphone for on-camera work than any other. Some microphones that are line-array are the ME-66, The AT835B and their longer cousins. Why are you chosing a supercard?

2. Azden, while they may have good microphones in these products, are not known for the high-quality of their products. At least I think of them as purveyors of somewhat underperforming, inexpensive wireless microphone system. What leads you to select this brand?

Did you include the MKE-300 (Sennheiser) in your evaluation?

I am curious because Azden has certainly spent a lot of money promoting these microphones but I have yet to read a review of their performance in the real world.
Old July 17th, 2002, 01:34 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Hello,

What the difference between the mics? Supercardoid, Cardoid, line-array, etc. In case I need to purchase one in the future. Please enlighten me.

Just got my VX2000 a couple of weeks ago and just trying to learn more about this machine and it's accessories.

Thanks,
Ray Saavedra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2002, 03:16 PM   #4
Major Player

card/supercard /omni etc. are the pickup patterns for the mic with supercard (the tightest)beiing able to reject off axis sounds and focus more on what the mic is pointed at and then the pickup pattern becomes broader for the card and omni(both axis) and so on search microphone pickup patterns online and you should be able to find graphics depicting these patterns. ive been into audio engineering a lot longer than dv but i agree with mike and i would probably stick with the sennheiser or audio technica route when it comes to mics. both these companies have been proven and thier brand of mics are used daily in every audio situation worlwide not only do they offer exceptional audio quality(u get what u pay for!) but mics from these companies should last you forever.
Matt Stahley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2002, 12:32 AM   #5
Major Player

heres a link from lafcpug with some reviews of the azden/senn/AT

http://www.lafcpug.org/review_shotgun_mic.html
Matt Stahley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2002, 07:37 PM   #6
PlanetNEO

I have the 2x and use it with my VX2K. I've been very happy with the combination. Did have a little problem with the switch, which I fixed by spraying tuner cleaner in it. Other than that it's been a great mic. Goes through batteries fast, always keep AAA handy.

It is very directional, stray a little to the left or right and the volume drops right off.
Old August 2nd, 2002, 12:24 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I use the 1X on a boom with a GL2. I am quite happy with the sound. It's put up with a bit of abuse since April, and it doesn't seem to eat batteries. (I'm still on the first one, with about 45-60 hours of use.)

It is, however, too long to mount directly on the camera with the stock mount unless you can live in telephoto. The 2X would even be longer. If you want camera mount, you'll need an outrigger of some sort.
Michael Westphal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2002, 11:38 PM   #8
New Boot

I decided to be cheap, and have purchased the SGm 1x...and it works fine. I can mount it on my VX-2000, and it doesnt get in the shot. I had a friend of mine make an XLR-box for me (plans here www.take2video.com/tek.html) Ill post pictures of the box if anyone is interested. IT works well, and there is PLENTY of volume for ANYTHING......The SGM 1X is directional..but not too much...I can still frame a nice shot, and get good sound while the mic is mounted on the camera...thanks for the reccomendations and whatnot.
Chris
pineapples10 is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion