the multi coated filter that isn't at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old June 11th, 2004, 10:26 AM   #1
Inner Circle

the multi coated filter that isn't

Just a warning that www.7dayshop.com (who are generally pretty good and on the ball) have just sent me a ''multi coated Hama UV filter'' in a 58mm fitting. The bumpf alongside the picture on their web site clearly states that it is multi coated, yet the filter arrives and is uncoated plain glass, although it is ''Digital and High Resolution'' (sigh). We are in contact over this.

The protective UV (or skylight, or ND or polarizor) becomes your zoom lens' front element, and as such it is imperative that this front to the world is super multi coated. It's more important that this is multi coated than the front element of your zoom, funnily enough.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2004, 10:41 AM   #2
Major Player

Hi Tom,

Been thinking of getting a UV filter for the Techpro Wide angle
Always used one on my stills cameras, whether Nikon or Canon... usually the company's own make...

What do you reckon to be the best multi-coated filter?

Hoya?, Hama? or just stick with Nikon or Canon.....?
Have you experience with any of these?

cheers

Gareth
Gareth Watkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2004, 12:11 PM   #3
Inner Circle

I must admit to never bothering to filter my video wide-angle converters, though like you I always did so for my 35mm lenses.

When I've bought Hoya S-HMC filters I've always been very pleased with them, and anything that meets Nikon's and Canon's specifications (as I assume they're bought in for those companies) must be trustworthy too.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2004, 12:13 PM   #4
Major Player

I just purchased a B+W multi coated UV to replace a Tiffen. Im not a filter expert but I can say that the B+W is of much better quality. You can hardly even tell that there is glass in the ring its so clear compared to the tiffen.
Matt Stahley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2004, 12:20 PM   #5
Wrangler

I too find B+W to be very good. Tiffen and Hoya have gone down in quality (IMO) a bit from the 70's when I used to buy stacks of filters for still photography.
Old June 11th, 2004, 12:25 PM   #6
Major Player

Tom, how do you verify whether the filter is multicoated?
Andre De Clercq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2004, 10:31 PM   #7
Regular Crew

i too find the b+w filter to work great on my 2100. just buy it from b&h because they're trustworthy and it will say on the site multi coated (and that will be the truth).
Greg Wolfinger is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion