Is the VX2100 for me? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old June 17th, 2004, 03:40 AM   #1
New Boot

Is the VX2100 for me?

Good day all, this is my first post! Reading all the posts here regarding the VX2100 has been an overwhelming experience for me, but I'd still want some personal comments about purchasing a VX2100 for my personal and creative use.

Let me give a little background first to help you a bit. I'm taking up film and got into it because of my editing jobs when I was in my first year of college, and shifted courses just last year. The money that will be used in my purchase of the VX2100 solely comes from my extracurricular work as an avid editor (MTV Philippines videos, short films, a few features, and a handful of corporate videos) and will be used in my undergrad courses. After having worked so hard just to gather enough money to buy a decent cam, I'm a bit scared on spending on an investment that may leave me dissatisfied.

First: I love the DVX100/A. We've used these a few times on some projects, and I've grown to know the ins and outs of the camera. Love the optics too. But it's just too expensive for me. I've also used a variety of other cams such as the VX2k, XL1/s, and the GL2, but found the DVX100/A perfect for me.

Second: I'm also looking into the Panny DVC-80 and DVC-30. I've had no previous experience with them but some say the 80 is much like the DVX100 but without the 24p and CineGamma. I was interested, but there are currently no stocks here locally.

Third: The VX2100 that I've found here is at a compelling price point that will let me purchase other items that I need without leaving me bankrupt. Having used the VX2k before, I have no qualms about it. I've used Magic Bullet on footage from the VX2k a few times with exceptional results. This is the cam that I can afford and work with *right now*.

I know that this is a VX2k/VX2100-specific board, but I'd still like a few encouraging remarks about my decision. I want a fully manual camera that I will be able to use for my video projects on the way to my film thesis, and maybe earn a few bucks with it. I'll be purchasing it two days from now and I just can't seem to feel confident with my decision. This will be used on some short films, video projects, experimental films, documentaries, etc., so I just want to feel secure with my decision. And the 24p is not much of a factor now because I've already purchased the Magic Bullet Suite before for some projects, but I will miss the adjustable Gamma.

Will this camera fit my needs? Can you help in reassuring me?
Julian Quinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2004, 12:25 PM   #2
Major Player

I think many will agree that its the story you are telling with your film that makes the film not which camera you shot it on. You will find some interesting threads here of users who sold the Panny for the PD170 etc and their reasons this may help with your decision. Isnt the 24p really only useful if transferring to film??
Matt Stahley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2004, 12:28 PM   #3
Inner Circle

It sounds as if you're too much in love with the DVX to be truely happy with the VX2k1 Julian, but as you say, it compelling in that you're getting the optical performance of the PD170 at a lot less dollars. It sounds to me from your description that sound will be very important to you, and if it's not then it should be. The VX will be fine with XLR mics, but you'll need to spend more on a Beechtek and microphones and this will bump the price.

At least with the VX you'll only need a wide-angle converter - if you buy the DVX you'll need two - a tele and a wide. The VX beats the GL2 easy, and with no side-screen the XL1s is looking dated. The lesser Panasonics are just that, and the hewn-from-the-solid VX is wonderfully tough, reliable, tested, refined and dependable.

Thing is you'd be happy with any one of them. The big mistake is to under buy and you'll always wish you'd gone the extra mile. But if you get the DVX don't come running to us :-) complaining about the lack of info lithiums, the so-so OIS, the imposibility of getting differential focus and the much dearer (72mm fitting) accessories.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2004, 09:05 AM   #4
New Boot

Thanks for all your comments guys. Seems like I'm pushing through with my purchase tomorrow.

Anyway Tom, sound is not much of a problem in our productions as I already have access to a portable DAT recorder and various mics+boom that we've used before in some projects. I rarely use the on-cam mic as the one that comes with the camera suck. A lot. I think you'd agree with me on this.

However on the documentaries part, I might have to invest on a Beachtek XLR adapter. I'd still have to see if it is an immediate need.

Yes, I'll be sore for a short while thinking about this purchase, but I'm more than happy to have a camera that will fit my needs and not break the bank. As you said, the 72mm accessories are *way* overpriced, I can't help but remember the super wide angle lens I rented out once for the DVX... ouch.

And with the extra cash I've saved from the VX2k1 purchase I'll be able to get a Manfrotto fluid head and legs for a special price from my friend, a distributor. Yum! Not to mention an NP-F960 battery and some Tiffens. I'm very very happy.

And so my troubled mind has finally been quelled into silence.

I really appreciate the input you've all given. Thanks, and good day.
Julian Quinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2004, 09:51 AM   #5
Wrangler

I'm one of the ones who sold their DVX for a PD-170. Reasoning behind my change is the genre in which I shoot- wedding videography. I needed a camera that would fend well in low light receptions. After using it on a few gigs I'm 100% satisfied with my decision.

However, if your main intent is to shoot shorts I'd go with the DVX100. Magic bullet is no match for true 24p and cinegamma. Especially if your NLE can edit in native 24p format.

Go with the DVX100 and sell me your Magic Bullet. lol
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2004, 08:05 PM   #6
New Boot

How much would you like to get the bullet Glen? lol! I edit with Avid Xpress Pro and color grade there as well to combat the video look (images of me in a gunfight with waveforms and vectorscopes). I've handled 24p footage there before and it turned out really well, so I was gearing for the DVX. Of course I won't be getting the gamma of the DVX with the VX2k1, but at least now I can get MORE stuff that I am going to need because the VX2k1 is cheaper!

Locally, the price of the DVX is enough to get me another decent second hand car. Heck, the VX2k1 with accessories cost more than my current car! ('94 Nissan Sentra) Incredible exchange rates. Don't forget the tax.

Hmmm... what if I sell my hardware and software and get the DVX instead? lol. But then I won't be able to edit!

I wanna graduate soon and get some loot! ...Ehrm... that was the child in me talking. My age is starting to show. lol ;)
Julian Quinto is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion