On PD170, DVCAM & DV SP Question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old June 21st, 2004, 11:27 PM   #1
John Carey

On PD170, DVCAM & DV SP Question

In the menu on the PD170, you can choose your format, DV SP and DVCAM. What would happen if you put a regular DV tape in and kept the format to DVcam?

John
Old June 22nd, 2004, 10:32 AM   #2
Inner Circle

What would happen? You'd record 40 minutes of DVCAM footage.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2004, 04:29 PM   #3
Wrangler

...and save a lot of money, as compared to those expensive DVCAM tapes. From what I've read this is what most people do when shooting in DVCAM mode. Works fine for me personally...
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2004, 06:17 PM   #4
John Carey

what differences are there

what differences are there when recording dvcam or dv sp on a regular DV tape besides the 60 vs 40 minutes?
Old June 22nd, 2004, 06:30 PM   #5
Wrangler

As I understand it, none. But the DVCAM tapes are manufactured to a higher standard. There's nothing specific that makes them suited to DVCAM. Do a search on this topic, it comes up frequently and you'll find lots of comments.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2004, 12:14 AM   #6
Inner Circle

What differences are there John? For all practical purposes, none whatsoever. There are however some pros and cons. The first pro is that if you won't be filming for over 40 mins then the DVCAM mode is more 'robust' in that more tape has been used to record exactly the same information. So if you hit a tiny crinkle in the tape for instance, the disruption to the picture and audio will occupy less time on screen than if you'd been in SP mode.

If you shoot DVCAM you must be able to replay it, so don't shoot it if you want to give the tapes to others who only have access to LP and SP.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2004, 06:08 PM   #7
Inner Circle

<<<-- Originally posted by Tom Hardwick : If you shoot DVCAM you must be able to replay it, so don't shoot it if you want to give the tapes to others who only have access to LP and SP.

tom. -->>>

Actually if you shoot DVCAM you can snicker when clients can't play them and then you offer to dub them to miniDV at $$$ per hour all the while telling them they got a great bargain because you shoot on pro format DVCAM rather than consumer miniDV. <grin>

Sony gibberish on why to use DVCAM over miniDV

"Why should I use DVCAM instead of Mini DV?

DVCAM vs. Mini DV / DV

- Tape Width and shrinkage specifications are held to tighter tolerances during manufacturing of DVCAM tape. This results in improved reliability with regard to Machine to machine compatibility (tracking) and for use in a wide range of environmental conditions.

- Dropout Ratio is decreased by up to 50%

- Protective locking album case for safe mobility and protection from adverse environmental conditions.

WHY SHOULD THE PROFESSIONAL USE DVCAM SERIES TAPE?

Because their reputation is in the media."

And now Sony has the super hightest DVCAM Digital Master

"It’s the only professional videotape with not one but two 100% active magnetic layers for 90% fewer errors than consumer DV tape. Because video error correction is so good , errors are sneaky. Even as the errors accumulate, you’ll think you’re fine. Your first sign of trouble can be a dropout that can break up the image on a one-on-one of a kind of take. So why risk it all? When it comes to your creative vision, demand DigitalMaster tape."

I like that "not one but two 100% active magnetic layers." Sounds like DoubleMint Gum or that drop of breath freshining Retsin in the middle or those processed foods with "natural flavors" listed in the ingredients.

Remember, "errors are sneaky."
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2004, 07:27 AM   #8
New Boot

is the quality better?

<<<-- Originally posted by Tom Hardwick : What would happen? You'd record 40 minutes of DVCAM footage. -->>>
Old June 26th, 2004, 01:54 PM   #9
Wrangler

<<<-- Originally posted by Shuf Shukur : is the quality better?

<<<-- Originally posted by Tom Hardwick : What would happen? You'd record 40 minutes of DVCAM footage. -->>> -->>>

No, it is exactly the same digital signal
Old June 26th, 2004, 06:15 PM   #10
Inner Circle

I do believe there are qualitative differences in the shell and the tape stock. Only over time and/or "rough" handling would DVCAM show fewer drop outs (not likely initially though). There's also less likely to be tracking errors. The digital recording itself is the same.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2004, 11:48 AM   #11
John Carey

Yes, But

Yes, But i was talking about using DVcam mode or DV SP mode to record on REGULAR DV TAPES. NOT DVCAM TAPES.

john
Old June 28th, 2004, 12:32 PM   #12
Wrangler

John, WE UNDERSTAND and the answers remain the same.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion