Must have add-ons for pd170? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old June 28th, 2004, 02:11 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Must have add-ons for pd170?

I am looking to buy 2 pd170's for even videography. Most of my work will be with weddings. Any specific add-ons you feel are necessary?

I was thinking:

wireless mic system
filters?
tripod
extra batteries

What brands/models of the above stuff would you recommend?

Thanks!
Paul Maxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2004, 02:39 PM   #2
Wrangler

The NP-F960's are "must-haves" in my opinion. On my VX-2000 I get close to 8 hours with them.

Tripods? Best you can afford, but the good ones are upwards of $700. See the "support your local camera" forum for lots of discussion on that topic.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2004, 02:50 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Is there an off brand for the batteries that work just as well for less?
Old June 28th, 2004, 03:57 PM   #4
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Paul Maxe : Is there an off brand for the batteries that work just as well for less? -->>>
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=287815&is=REG

That's the one I got for my VX-2100, no problems.

Beware of the ebay Sony "original" batteries that are sent from china and cost about $45 bucks.
They are fakes, they might work, but they might damage your camera supposedly and supposedly might die soon too.

Check out my previous post.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?s=&threadid=27390
Ray Echevers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2004, 04:15 PM   #5
Wrangler

Personally I've never understood why anyone would take a chance on non-Sony batteries for the few bucks that it might save. When you consider how long you'll keep them the price difference will be pretty trivial. Caveat emptor. I have read that some 3rd part batteries don't work and you get a message from the camera saying they aren't infolithium, even though the same batteries were OK in the PD-150.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2004, 04:31 PM   #6
Regular Crew

the ebay batteries from hong kong i can assure are NOT fake. they are oem sony batteries, come in the sony blister pack, and are brand spankin new. i bought mine from ebay user with the handle "thebattery" or somethin like that. he was a great seller and i would recommend him to all.
Greg Wolfinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2004, 04:42 PM   #7
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Greg Wolfinger : the ebay batteries from hong kong i can assure are NOT fake. they are oem sony batteries, come in the sony blister pack, and are brand spankin new. i bought mine from ebay user with the handle "thebattery" or somethin like that. he was a great seller and i would recommend him to all. -->>>Why else would they come from Hong Kong?
Actually some other ebayers who saw that i bought one of the batteries, sent me emails and pictures comparing the fake and real ones. They are actually trying or did file a complaint to Ebay, complaining that these people are false advertising, claiming that they are OEM sony batteries, when in fact they are not. Some of the people who sell them even have on their accounts and auctions that they are situated in the USA and that they ship from the USA, when in fact they are shipped you the buyer directly from China.
Ray Echevers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2004, 07:11 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Must have add ons for pd 170

I have 2 pd 170s and do weddings also. I agree with the Sony battery thread. Buy the authentic ones. For the few bucks more you'll have piece of mind.

We use the Bogen 3046 legs with the 501 head. Works great and provides good support.

You'll definitely want diversity wireless UHF mics. I have the Sony UCF c1. I bought them from B&H for $499 with a $100 gift card, which brought the effective cost down to $399. They work very well. I've been very happy with them except for the flimsy camera mount. I need to work out some way to reinforce it. It tends to slide. It hasn's fallen off, but it does make me nervous.

I also bought the Frezzi micro fill light. It's expensive, but works great and allows you to control the amount of light because it has a dimmer on it.

Don't forget a good case and rain cover.

Overall I love the 170's, they are great cams!

Old June 29th, 2004, 06:21 AM   #9
Regular Crew

I think a good light can make the difference for me.I have Paglight C6 kit and I'm happy with it.
Ciao,Maurizio.
Maurizio Panella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2004, 12:38 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Re: Must have add ons for pd 170

<<<-- Originally posted by Tony Zubrowski : I have 2 pd 170s and do weddings also. I agree with the Sony battery thread. Buy the authentic ones. For the few bucks more you'll have piece of mind.

We use the Bogen 3046 legs with the 501 head. Works great and provides good support.

You'll definitely want diversity wireless UHF mics. I have the Sony UCF c1. I bought them from B&H for $499 with a $100 gift card, which brought the effective cost down to $399. They work very well. I've been very happy with them except for the flimsy camera mount. I need to work out some way to reinforce it. It tends to slide. It hasn's fallen off, but it does make me nervous.

I also bought the Frezzi micro fill light. It's expensive, but works great and allows you to control the amount of light because it has a dimmer on it.

Don't forget a good case and rain cover.

Overall I love the 170's, they are great cams! -->>>

Does that kit include 2 mics? Why the 501 head?
Old July 2nd, 2004, 07:27 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Sorry for the late reply, I've been out of town.

I use the 501 head because of cost. If I could afford a more expensive head I might upgrade, but the 501 works fine for me. The mic kit includes one lav mic, transmitter and receiver.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion