DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   sunshade/filter holder (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/29113-sunshade-filter-holder.html)

Michael Bendixen July 16th, 2004 07:07 PM

sunshade/filter holder

I have a pd-170 and I was checking out BH's sunshade/filter holder that holds two 4x4s by century optics. Will this fit my prime lens as well as my century optics attachments?

If I choose to get another camera down the road, can I use this sunshade/filter holder for that?

Thanks,

Michael

Law Tyler July 16th, 2004 07:35 PM

Actually I was just wondering if there is some huge matte box that can make my DSR-250, which has the same shade attachment mechanism as the VX2100/PD1700, look "impressive"?

:-)

Boyd Ostroff July 16th, 2004 08:14 PM

You might look into the lens hoods and matteboxes from Cavision. I have no personal experience, but read generally good things about them and they are reaonably priced.

Bryan Beasleigh July 17th, 2004 02:18 PM

I don't know why someone keeps pushing these matte box questions off into the separate camera forums. A matte box is NOT CAMERA SPECIFIC.

Any way here's a link to a post i did . It took several hours to research it and all of the opinion is from first hand experience with the pieces. I'm in the process of updating it . Thw cavision design keeps getting better as does the quality.

matte boxes, a guide to my gnu obsession

Michael Bendixen July 19th, 2004 12:33 PM

It seems camera specific when I want to find a matte box/sunshade that will work particularily well with the PD-170. When you want to find out that information it seems best to go to the people you use the camera. Thanks for the comment though.

Michael

Mike Rehmus July 19th, 2004 01:35 PM

Michael, your post is entirely OK in terms of content and location.

Mike Rehmus
Forum Moderator

Kevin Lee July 29th, 2004 07:15 AM

Michael Bendixen

I'm assuming you're referring to the century sunshade. Well, i have one of those. You need a step-up ring to fit directly on the pd. This is sold separately. It fits directly onto a wide angle adaptor like the Canon WD58.

Michael Bendixen July 29th, 2004 11:55 AM

Kevin,

Are you happy with this sunshade?

Kevin Lee July 29th, 2004 12:04 PM

Its a tight fit on the century 16x9 anarmophic adaptor (which i have) and this is a hassle esp. when you have to align the adaptor properly.

I would have liked a cover or cap for it - using a black foam-core board at the moment. Have 2 4x4filters that i use with it at times.

Don't know how compatible it will be if i upgrade to another camera in future. But for now it seems to do the trick.

Looks good too.

Billy Dalrymple July 29th, 2004 01:50 PM

Kevin,

This is slightly off topic, but how do you like the 16:9 lens? I've heard conflicting stories about it. Whats your view?

Michael Bendixen July 29th, 2004 01:53 PM

Kevin,

I have the same question about using it with an upgrade camera. I'm looking into though. It would be nice to rig some type of custom french flags, I think you'd have to do some drilling though.

Thanks for the reply,

Michael

Kevin Lee July 29th, 2004 08:01 PM

Billy Dalrymple
Well, as you probably know the lens is not a full zoom-thru. Focus is an issue at the extreme ends.

If all you had was a pd1550 and another camera similar and you want to get better 16x9. Then it's a good additional tool if you can afford it. But, it's only best used if you have time to set up your shots and have a decent sized and good resolution viewing monitor. I would not reccomend it for run and gun shoots where shots may be unpredictable and time is not exactly in your control.

I was initially going to shoot my little flick with only the pd150 with the 16X9 adaptor but decided to rent the 570WS as A-Cam instead. My flick was shot docu-style run and gun and the tests we did warranted me being safe then sorry. There is a big difference in image resolution between shots from a native 16x9 cam and those from the adaptor. All in all, we probably used just 5% footage from the pd150/16x9 adaptor in the final edit.

But having said all that, i don't have the money to invest in a camera like the 570 so currently the 16x9 adaptor is the next best thing. I might upgrade to the XL2, which supposedly shoots great 16x9 natively, when it comes out next month and user feedback is good.

Romesh Dodangoda July 30th, 2004 08:09 PM

"Actually I was just wondering if there is some huge matte box that can make my DSR-250, which has the same shade attachment mechanism as the VX2100/PD1700, look "impressive"?"

~~

im looking for the same:-) a nice big lens hood.

ive seen some on the cavision site but they look too big? which hood would i need to get for a DSR250?

i have a cavision wideangle lens with a lenshood and a really like the feel of that bigger hood. but i cant use it without the wide angle. could someone suggest a good plcae to just get a bigger lens hood for the 250

cheers
oh, and this is my first post , so hello:-) ...allthough ive been reading the topics for about a year:-)