sunshade/filter holder at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old July 16th, 2004, 07:07 PM   #1
Regular Crew

sunshade/filter holder

I have a pd-170 and I was checking out BH's sunshade/filter holder that holds two 4x4s by century optics. Will this fit my prime lens as well as my century optics attachments?

If I choose to get another camera down the road, can I use this sunshade/filter holder for that?

Thanks,

Michael
Michael Bendixen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2004, 07:35 PM   #2
Major Player

Actually I was just wondering if there is some huge matte box that can make my DSR-250, which has the same shade attachment mechanism as the VX2100/PD1700, look "impressive"?

:-)
Law Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2004, 08:14 PM   #3
Wrangler

You might look into the lens hoods and matteboxes from Cavision. I have no personal experience, but read generally good things about them and they are reaonably priced.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2004, 02:18 PM   #4
Trustee

I don't know why someone keeps pushing these matte box questions off into the separate camera forums. A matte box is NOT CAMERA SPECIFIC.

Any way here's a link to a post i did . It took several hours to research it and all of the opinion is from first hand experience with the pieces. I'm in the process of updating it . Thw cavision design keeps getting better as does the quality.

matte boxes, a guide to my gnu obsession
Old July 19th, 2004, 12:33 PM   #5
Regular Crew

It seems camera specific when I want to find a matte box/sunshade that will work particularily well with the PD-170. When you want to find out that information it seems best to go to the people you use the camera. Thanks for the comment though.

Michael
Old July 19th, 2004, 01:35 PM   #6
Wrangler

Michael, your post is entirely OK in terms of content and location.

Mike Rehmus
Forum Moderator
Old July 29th, 2004, 07:15 AM   #7
Major Player

Michael Bendixen

I'm assuming you're referring to the century sunshade. Well, i have one of those. You need a step-up ring to fit directly on the pd. This is sold separately. It fits directly onto a wide angle adaptor like the Canon WD58.
Kevin Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2004, 11:55 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Kevin,

Are you happy with this sunshade?
Old July 29th, 2004, 12:04 PM   #9
Major Player

Its a tight fit on the century 16x9 anarmophic adaptor (which i have) and this is a hassle esp. when you have to align the adaptor properly.

I would have liked a cover or cap for it - using a black foam-core board at the moment. Have 2 4x4filters that i use with it at times.

Don't know how compatible it will be if i upgrade to another camera in future. But for now it seems to do the trick.

Looks good too.
Old July 29th, 2004, 01:50 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Kevin,

This is slightly off topic, but how do you like the 16:9 lens? I've heard conflicting stories about it. Whats your view?
Old July 29th, 2004, 01:53 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Kevin,

I have the same question about using it with an upgrade camera. I'm looking into though. It would be nice to rig some type of custom french flags, I think you'd have to do some drilling though.

Thanks for the reply,

Michael
Old July 29th, 2004, 08:01 PM   #12
Major Player

Billy Dalrymple
Well, as you probably know the lens is not a full zoom-thru. Focus is an issue at the extreme ends.

If all you had was a pd1550 and another camera similar and you want to get better 16x9. Then it's a good additional tool if you can afford it. But, it's only best used if you have time to set up your shots and have a decent sized and good resolution viewing monitor. I would not reccomend it for run and gun shoots where shots may be unpredictable and time is not exactly in your control.

I was initially going to shoot my little flick with only the pd150 with the 16X9 adaptor but decided to rent the 570WS as A-Cam instead. My flick was shot docu-style run and gun and the tests we did warranted me being safe then sorry. There is a big difference in image resolution between shots from a native 16x9 cam and those from the adaptor. All in all, we probably used just 5% footage from the pd150/16x9 adaptor in the final edit.

But having said all that, i don't have the money to invest in a camera like the 570 so currently the 16x9 adaptor is the next best thing. I might upgrade to the XL2, which supposedly shoots great 16x9 natively, when it comes out next month and user feedback is good.
Old July 30th, 2004, 08:09 PM   #13
New Boot

"Actually I was just wondering if there is some huge matte box that can make my DSR-250, which has the same shade attachment mechanism as the VX2100/PD1700, look "impressive"?"

~~

im looking for the same:-) a nice big lens hood.

ive seen some on the cavision site but they look too big? which hood would i need to get for a DSR250?

i have a cavision wideangle lens with a lenshood and a really like the feel of that bigger hood. but i cant use it without the wide angle. could someone suggest a good plcae to just get a bigger lens hood for the 250

cheers
oh, and this is my first post , so hello:-) ...allthough ive been reading the topics for about a year:-)
Romesh Dodangoda is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion