Sony 3 Chip Hd Cam at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old July 26th, 2004, 12:04 PM   #1
Major Player

Sony 3 Chip Hd Cam

DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY INFORMATION ON THE CAM THEY SHOWED PROTOTYPE OF A FEW MONTHS BACK!!!!!!! ANY RELEASE DATES? 24P!!!??? COST???
thanks
Greg Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2004, 12:14 PM   #2
Major Player

I checked this thread thinking you had some news.

Do a search on the forums, as far as I know there has been no official news since NAB.

From Chris's post at the top of this forum:
"Effective 08 November 2003, any post to the Digital Video Industry News forum MUST be backed up with a LINK from a CREDIBLE NEWS SOURCE."

-Luis
Luis Caffesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2004, 12:18 PM   #3
Major Player

sorry i dont have a link.
peace
Old July 26th, 2004, 12:24 PM   #4
Major Player

I'm sure someone knows something about it.
Old July 26th, 2004, 04:49 PM   #5
Wrangler

Why don't you give Sony HQ in Japan a phone call and see how it's going? They are probably the only ones who know. :)
Old July 26th, 2004, 04:54 PM   #6
Trustee

This and many other industries sometimes use a non working model of a concept. interest is measured and acted upon. The models are non functioning mockups of what they feel the customer would like to see.

I'm not saying that this is the case in this instance but i've seen it many times in my own field. They come up with a name and work a concept around it and then see if engineering can deliver once they see enough interest.
Old July 26th, 2004, 07:08 PM   #7
Wrangler

Re: Sony 3 Chip Hd Cam

<<<-- Originally posted by Greg Harris : DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY INFORMATION ON THE CAM THEY SHOWED PROTOTYPE OF A FEW MONTHS BACK!!!!!!! ANY RELEASE DATES? 24P!!!??? COST???
thanks -->>>

That wasn't a working camera. Rumor has it that one has been seen that might be working but it's mostly a report on smoke and mirrors. Not going to be here tomorrow is my guess. There is no broad support infrastructure for one if it were available.

Please don't use all caps as that is considered shouting :-)).
Old July 29th, 2004, 08:19 PM   #8
Contributor

Last thing I read about it was that it is supposed to be introduced for real in 2005. I'd guess that would be at NAB. If so, it would be only a year from the time they showed a mockup until the real thing. That's better than the 2 years that has happened on other items. One report said it might sell for $5,000 or maybe for $10,000. That's quite a range.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2004, 09:11 PM   #9
Wrangler

Unless they and other manufacturers release a support infrastructure for HD, it will be a curiosity except for those making movies.

Many of the edit system vendors have announced HD/HDV editing capability. But the monitors are still really expensive so the cost to move up will be significant.

And the least expensive HD-ready monitor for consumers is still over $600 isn't it?

BTW, DTI can carry HD but can component video through existing home theatres carry HD or do we need new units there too?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion