PAL/NTSC battery/charger....any difference? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old August 6th, 2002, 09:54 AM   #1
Regular Crew

PAL/NTSC battery/charger....any difference?

I just bought a Sony VX1000E and i need some new batteries and maybe a second charger for it.
I was wondering if the VX1000 PAL/NTSC use the same types of batteries and chargers?
I have two batteries now which is/say NP-720 and NP-730.

Thanks for any directions and help....=)
Marius Svendsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2002, 11:09 AM   #2
Wrangler

The video signal format has nothing to do with batteries or chargers.

VX-1000 batteries will fit. I haven't tried a non-InfoLithium battery (old Sony, some new 3rd party batteries) to see if they work in a PD-150 (which should translate to a VX-2000.

OK, just went and tried a 3rd party battery and a non-InfoLithium battery from Sony. The camera will not work with either. So you are stuck with Sony batteries of that ilk. The camera states that it only works with InfoLithium batteries.

The chargers normally come with country-specific power cords and most chargers themselves are multi-country, 50-60 hz, 100 to 250 vac units or there abouts.

If the charger is supplied new with a cord that works in your country, it is a good sign that it will work with no problems. Always read the technical literature before you plug it in.
Old August 6th, 2002, 04:40 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Ok, because when i wa slooking for batteries for my VX1000 on ebay i saw that most of them was names NP-F720/NP-F730 and on my two batteries it just say NP-720/NP-730, thought maybe that was some different.

So overall, i will be ok with buying batteries for my VX1000E on ebay from america?
Old August 7th, 2002, 10:28 AM   #4
Wrangler

I don't think I would ever buy used batteries unless they came with some piece of hardware for which they were the power supply.

Even LiON batteries do 'wear out,' and some have relatively short lives.

The Sony model numbers that fit your camcorder can safely be purchased anywhere. I recommend you purchase them new, however.
Old August 7th, 2002, 02:35 PM   #5
Regular Crew

DV-Death the battereys being advertised on Ebay are third party batteries, (and are a lot cheaper then Sony own brand ones) I've got a magazine advertising them and as it's a reputable company I can't see there being a problem with them. Actually they probably will deliver to Norway there link is

http://www.keene.co.uk

if your interested.
Chris Tsamados is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2002, 04:35 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Awsome Chris, I'll check it out.
I thought they stopped selling batteries for the VX1000 since the camera got taken of production.
Old August 7th, 2002, 05:42 PM   #7
Wrangler

The problem I have with the one 3rd party battery we bought for a VX-1000 is that it doesn't fit right and it clearly doesn't have the life of the Sony batteries. Within a year, it is effectively dead. The brand name is Lenmar. The original Sony battery is in better shape.

My view is that many 3rd party products just are not as good as the original. If you said that one of the main-line battery manufacturers were selling Sony replacements, then I'd feel OK. But a lot of inexpensive camera gear comes off a rural production line in China and is made for the lowest possible price. You many times don't even get what you paid for.
Old August 9th, 2002, 06:46 PM   #8
Regular Crew

any difference betwen american and europen dv-tapes?
And does it damage ur camera (in my case a VX1000) to change dv-tapes alot, i mean change from differnt brands?
Old August 10th, 2002, 12:14 AM   #9
Wrangler

One word. YES.

swapping brands is asking your transport to commit suicide. Last I heard, that is about a $1300 repair bill as they just install an entirely new tape transport. Not covered under warranty either.

I'd not do it. Sony tapes are under $5 each in lots of 5.

www.taperesources.com and a lot of other Net suppliers.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion