Price drop at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old November 22nd, 2004, 09:32 PM   #1
New Boot

Price drop

Does anybody know if the VX2100, PD170, VX2000, or PD150 will drop in price in the coming year? Around Jan or Feb? This is my first year looking for a camcorder and am not sure about the trends in pricing. Wanting to know if now is a good time to buy or wait for the new year?

Thanks!

Gabby
Gabrielle Talley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2004, 09:39 PM   #2
Wrangler

The new HDV camcorders from Sony may or may not replace those cameras. Big difference is that the new ones cost about $1K more than the previous model and they are nowhere near as good in low light.

I'd guess they won't drop in price but will simply disappear at some point.

But then Sony doesn't confide in any of us so it's all a guess.
Old November 23rd, 2004, 07:22 PM   #3
New Boot

Thanks, yeah, I've tried searching for the PD150 new on the web. There's only a small handful of stores that are selling it, but it's still $2500 or more! The VX2000 is maybe in one store but the VX2100 is about the same price right now. It's crazy. What do they do with the camcorders that they don't sell? You'd think they'd want something for them so they'd discount them. Anyway, thanks for your post!
Gabrielle Talley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2004, 08:50 PM   #4
Regular Crew

The PD170 has a $300 rebate from Sony going on until
the end of the year...
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2004, 01:25 PM   #5
New Boot

Rebate deadline

I just checked on the 170 rebate and it is good until March of next year according to the Sony website https://www.rebate-zone.com/CurrentRebates.asp . I even called Sony and they confirmed it. Not sure why BH has today as the last day of the rebate??

What's the deal?
Brian Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2005, 05:39 PM   #6
Major Player

Brian,

I think you should read this. I copied it from an email I sent to sony after the first of the year.

*****Thank you for contacting the Sony Rebate Fulfillment Center.

We are not promoting a rebate for a PD-170 product.

Thank You,
Jesse
Sony Rebate Fulfillment Center******

No more rebate.

John
John DeLuca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2005, 06:19 PM   #7
New Boot

REBATE and EVS plug

I have emails from Sony stating the 170 rebate goes through March 31, 2005 along with screenshots of the promotion screen showing the same date.

I ordered my 170 today....I waited because the operator (JESSE by the way) at Sony assured me on two telephone calls and two emails (emails were from Susan L. Baugus) that:

1. EVS was an eligible company to buy from to redeem my rebate

2. The rebate was continuing through 3.31.05

If they back out on me, I will be upset to say the least. My paper trail should be enough to force the issue. Even the guys at EVS said they were under the impression it was still going. BH took it off their site and that is what prompted me to get a written response from SONY prior to purchasing.

By the way...just a quick note to thank Tom at EVS for helping me with my order today. Those guys are super nice to deal with.
Brian Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2005, 06:29 PM   #8
New Boot

After that post, I called the Jesse I have been speaking with at Sony and she stated she had not sent any emails indicating the 170 rebate was no longer being offered. Must be a different Jesse.

She again indicated the rebate goes through 3/31/05 and stated a few people had called about it but she again assured me I'm OK with purchasing today.

HTH

KB
Brian Keith is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion