PD-150/170 timecode help questions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old November 25th, 2004, 12:40 PM   #1
Regular Crew

PD-150/170 timecode help questions

I have encountered something with these cameras that I don't quite understand. When the timecode is placed in record run, this just means that each additional recording is added to the last and the code is continued, right? I have noticed that if I roll the footage back to review a shot and recue it to record a couple of seconds before the actual place where it had originally stopped it does not start recording at that particular place as far as continuing the code.

Example: Start 00:00:00:00 End 00:01:10:22

Rolling back to 00:01:05:00 ready to record again, the new code displayed is the original 00:01:10:22 instead of 00:01:05:00. In other terms the code will skip from 00:01:04:29 to 00:01:10:22 resulting in a code break. Why is this? I have found that using regen will make the camera resume from wherever it is recued. But you better not forget to change that setting back to preset or all of your subsequent tapes will be affected as well.

With the XL-1, if you roll back footage and then hit record before the original stop point, it picks up where it left off.
James Emory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2004, 07:59 PM   #2
Major Player

I don't quite understand your dilemma, James. You said that the camera will act similar to the Canon by using "regen," so what's the problem?

Additionally, you can use "end search" to get you to the end of the last recorded section, where the code will continue from in "preset."

Where's the beef?

Wayne
Wayne Orr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2004, 09:51 PM   #3
Regular Crew

It only continues from where it should if you switch to regen. If you don't, you're screwed. If you don't know about this, as I didn't at first, and review footage several times throughout the tape and start to record again a few seconds before the last cut point, there will be several time code breaks. Then be sure to set regen back to preset or you're screwed again. Enough to frustrate a logger or an NLE trying to do automated EDL load.

I guess the definition of record run is that the code picks up where it left off no matter what the physical position of the tape is. I just like to know why things happen.

I would say that leaving plenty of pad at the end of the shot and using end search is the best way to be safe.

Old November 25th, 2004, 11:25 PM   #4
Major Player

Hey James, at least you understand what's going on, which puts you waaay ahead of most of the shooters. BTW, the PD150 is not all that different from professional cameras, which also have an end search function and "regen" modes. Congratulations!

Wayne
Old November 28th, 2004, 09:34 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Where is this "regen" button/menu setting?
Allen Brodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2004, 11:27 AM   #6
Major Player

"Regen" is to be found in the timecode menu (TC). It is either "regen" or "preset."

Here is a use for "regen." Let's say you have a shoot that will require multiple tapes. You would like to have consecutive timecode on each tape and not be fumbling around with the menu during the shoot to advance the TC to the next set of numbers.

Before the shoot, at your leisure, load a tape in the camera, and go to the timecode menu. Using the "preset" setting, number the first tape, 01.00.00.00. then record about thirty seconds to one minute of black, and stop record. Now, back up the tape a few seconds. Just arbitrary. Doesn't matter how much, you just want to be certain you are in a pre-recorded section.

Repeat the process with the next tape, labeling it 02:00:00:00. Continue this process until you have as many tapes as you think you will need. (Obviously, you will have to start over after 24)

After you have all your tapes with this pre-stripe on them, go back into the menu and change "preset" to "re-gen." The next time you load a tape and go into record mode, this will cause the camera to regenerate new timcode from where the record head is parked. It could be parked at 01:00:28:16, and that's where it will resume with the new timecode.

At the shoot, all you will have to do is swap tapes in the correct order. No buttons to fumble with or timecode settings to worry about. Just keep shooting, as long as you leave the TC setting in "regen."

Wayne "Of course it's only a theory" Orr
Old November 28th, 2004, 01:37 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I like that solution. I wish we had the time to do it. We have gone through as many as 15 tapes each for A and B camera over a two day period. This is run and gun and every time we reload we have to advance code and roll bars and tone. It doesn't take that much time, but when you're chasing daylight striping 10-15 tapes as you go all day on set it adds up.

Of course what you said about using tapes in the correct order is critical. I guess if you screwed up you could just change the labels. Another great feature of this method is if you want to go back and use a short end of a previous recorded tape, the code will pick up where it left off. One situation I had where this would have saved me was when I had recorded a few minutes on one camera and then had to switch to another because the first one had head issues. Well, I forgot to adjust the setting to regen on the new camera so the camera started over at zero after the inital 5 minutes of code. The loggers and editors will just love that. At least it was near the beginning. They love it even more when it happens several times throughout a tape as it did as I described above before I knew how regen worked.
Old November 29th, 2004, 12:27 PM   #8
Regular Crew

I did some figuring. For 30 tapes A+B and at about 40 seconds per tape to advance code, roll bars and tone, it would save about 20 minutes on set over the two day period to prestripe and use regen. When your chasing daylight, that's alot of time saved!
James Emory is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion