PD170 RF susceptibility? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old December 7th, 2004, 07:59 PM   #1
Major Player

PD170 RF susceptibility?

"RF susceptibility: Walkie and cel phone transmissions in the vicinity of the camera will cause the steadyshot mechanism to jump and the exposure to shift momentarily. Turning the steadyshot off lessens the problem but does not eliminate it."

This was reported as a PD150 quirk at www.alanbarker.com. Just wondering if anyone knows if this "quirk" was corrected in the 170.
Bob
Bob Harotunian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2004, 09:35 PM   #2
Wrangler

Still as bad as ever with regard to the OIS. I've never seen an image quality change except for the motion imparted by the OIS. Must be one heck of a strong RF field to change the image quality.

I wouldn't be surprised. I think Sony reduced the operating voltage of the on-board circuitry to lower power consumption and that plus the plethora of un-shielded flexible circuit cabling makes it significantly susceptible.
Old December 8th, 2004, 07:40 AM   #3
Major Player

So, if a cell phone goes off in the vicinity of a PD170 with OIS on, there will be some kind of image aberation??? Do you know what is meant by "in the vicinity"? A few feet, yards, in a church?
Thanks,
Bob
Bob Harotunian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2004, 07:52 AM   #4
Wrangler

It totally depends on the strength of the RF and the relatonship of the source to the camera.

I'm certain that the camera is more susceptable to interference from some locations on a sphere around the camera than others.

I don't notice normal cell phone activity bothers my 150 unless the phone is held next to the camera. Even then, with my normal cell phone, it is a random thing.

I have not experienced any interference issues except around police radios. I'm certain that most types of radios in the 1/2 watt and up power range and relatively close can cause OIS excursions in these cameras. A police car transmitter will bang my camera from 20 feet away.
Old December 18th, 2004, 01:56 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Here is a relative thread noting the same issues.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...threadid=35565
James Emory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2004, 05:38 AM   #6
Tourist

Reproducible mobile phone problems

I have had a PD150 and now own a PD170. Both cameras demonstrated interference with mobile phones in the vicinity, leading to not only OIS jumping but also significant audio interference. This occured even when the phone is "checking in" with the base-station, not just when a call is received.
In Australia we use the European GSM standard, which may make it worse than in the US, I don't know.
John Mag is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion