SteadyShot -- Interesting if true - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old September 24th, 2002, 06:45 PM   #16
Regular Crew

The halo around a light sounds to me like the digital edge artifact. But it could be a type of lens flare.

It's been an interesting read so far.

With my 150, I once shot a an orchestra that used ultra reflective drums where the reflected light (pretty hot) shone the effect of a star filter. Very mild (small enhancement), but the light point looked like a star. I thought it looked very nice. Then again if it were too blaring, it would begin to look tired but for now, everyone's gonna dig it!
Old September 24th, 2002, 09:02 PM   #17
Warden

I'm working on some tests I've done concerning fireflies and the hallow effect i've obtained. Mike, what was the weather like when you shot your tests? Was it humid? We just had a little cold snap here, went into the lower 70's overnight and less humid the last two days. I reshot some tests with the halo (street lights). I think the halo is humidity related. Light refracting off moisture in the air. It is less noticeable in the footage I shot last night.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2002, 07:47 PM   #18
Regular Crew

The dancing firefly effect is not always apparent and I think it might be more to do with the 'type' of optical stabilisation.
The problem can be found in older Hi8 cams - my old TR2000 had this problem - I distinctly remember that by turning off the OIS the problem went away...
My knowledge of OIS systems is very limited but AFAIK, there are two types - one uses a moving or vibrating prism and the other uses a silicon lens that is moved or deformed to compensate for shake. IIRC, the silicon oil filled lens is perhaps the older type of OIS - my TR2000 had warnings in the manual about the possibilty of air bubbles showing on the lens after long, high altitude flights etc..
Graham Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2002, 10:21 PM   #19
Wrangler

Jeff, it was a dry night but Vallejo has SF bay on 2 sides but plenty of wind. I'd say it wasn't very humid for California. Under 50% (just a guess).
Old October 4th, 2002, 02:42 PM   #20
Major Player

The “mysteries” described in these posts are known and have been described and documented in the past and except halo, belong to the “lensflare” domain.
If we suppose “good “optics, halo or optical blooming (not to be confused with the CCD blooming effects) resulting from small and strong lightsources, is caused by diffraction.: The (intensity clipped) lightsource shows its “airy disks” just around the lightspot if the F-number is relatively low (large aperture). At higher F-numbers, the same diffraction phenoma generates the “star” (6 point stars when 6 blade diafragm is used).
Fireflies or pointsource ghostings are generated by surfaces (mostly) in the frontside of the optics path. Parallel flat sufaces are the best candidates for generation of fireflies. Hence fluid prism OIS is a problem candidate. Moving lens OIS concepts are more robust in this respect. Even perfectly coated surfaces (still reflecting .5% of the light) cannot resolve the problem. We should know that lightsouces often have a surface light intensity (nit) which can easely reach 10^5 times the (dark) scene intensity. If someone wants to verify the (dancing) fireflies, just keep the camera close (under about 45deg) to a white surface (in a dimmed room) and point a laserpointer under 45deg, into the cameralens and the wonderfull ghost are there.
Deeper reflections are possible too and depend on the conbined surface nonflatnesses of the internal optics . Shifting (internal) zoon parts have their influence too. Reflection raytracing (Zemax) can predict all this…
Besides the overalll flare effects, which tend to add extra (haze) on the whole scene, and thus reducing the contrast, the aperture form itself can occur in the picture as multiple color patches.(e.g. oblique shooting into the sun) This effect belongs to the internal reflection generated behind the aperture and close to the CCD (prism)
Andre De Clercq is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion