What camera bags are you using? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old February 3rd, 2005, 01:56 AM   #1
New Boot

What camera bags are you using?

Hey everyone,

I'll be getting a camera soon, and I am curious as to what sort of cases are popular on the board. I've found several nice ones made by Kata, Petrol and Porta Brace. Does anyone have a nice bag that they just love? I'm curious. I want a soft but stiff bag (i.e. not an aluminum or plastic case). Let me know what you're using...

mike
Miakutis Rushane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2005, 07:09 AM   #2
Major Player

I am using the Sony badged Petrol bag that came in a kit at B&H

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=308852&is=REG

The bag is very well made, and holds all the essential stuff.
Old February 3rd, 2005, 04:13 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Mine's a Petrol too. I looked at a lot of bags and this was by far the best value going. Bought it at the Video Forum in London last week.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2005, 04:45 PM   #4
Wrangler

I've got over 3 years of tough use on one of mine and it looks nearly as good as the 1 year old bag.

Holds a lot and protects the camera very well. The dual-track zipper setup where the entire top of the bag essentially lifts to the side is very enjoyable compared to my PortaBrace with the single zipper for my big camera.

If you get it with the camera as a kit, you used to get a fairly nice rain jacket as well. Don't know if they kept that accessory for the 170.
Old February 3rd, 2005, 04:53 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I have a Porta Brace CS-DV3. Expensive and heavy, but very well made.

I just added a Porta Brace PC-333 Medium production case. With this bag I can carry both the VX-2000 and the PD-170, as well as a bunch of other stuff. Not cheap either ($210-$220).

Mike.
Old February 3rd, 2005, 06:53 PM   #6
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Mike Rehmus :

If you get it with the camera as a kit, you used to get a fairly nice rain jacket as well. Don't know if they kept that accessory for the 170. -->>>

Yes you still get the rain jacket, still haven't figured out how it fits on my camera though :/
Old February 3rd, 2005, 07:33 PM   #7
New Boot

Have you guys used the Kata bag (something like cccc-3333, model number)? It looks pretty good. I'd like a medium-weight bag; something that can hold the camera, 2-3 batteries, lenses and filters, several tapes with maybe a tripod (strapped on, do people/bag manufacturers make something like that?). Nothing too serious, I imagine most bags do everything minus the tripod anyway.

Does anyone have a bag with a dedicated compartment that'll house pens/pencils, a note book or journal? I'd be interested in something like that as well.

Thanks again,

m.
Miakutis Rushane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2005, 05:51 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Bag or Case?

Hi Mike

Now that you are the proud owner of a PD150 and planning some heavy travel, you might want to consider a case as opposed to a bag. Yes it is heavier, but also more protective. A small bag might be an addition for day use.

I have my PD150 in a Pelican 1500 case and with a bit of time and a dense foam (forget the pluck it out foam, it is a pain) from a fabric store have cut out space for my camera, three batteries, 2X adapter, 5+ tapes and my Sony 828 digital and spare battery. It is heavier but all pieces are well separated and protected. If I wish to lower th load for a particular situation I remove the un-needed. Also space in the top for paper and pencil. As a precation with any case/bag, put your name etc inside where visible and also a hidden point , on the top under tha foam for instance.

Martin
Martin Archer-Shee is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion