HELP! My PD-170 footage wont playback properly at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old February 10th, 2005, 02:27 PM   #1
Regular Crew

HELP! My PD-170 footage wont playback properly

I recently shot a wedding using a rented PD-170

The in video camera playback was just fine, but once I got home and tried to dump the footage into my computer using my cheap miniDV cam, the video was playing back slowly even though the counter was moving at a normal playback speed.

While shooting the video I noticed that my 60min tapes were finishing at the 45min mark, but I didn't think much of it at the time.

I'd rather not rent the camera again since my experience with the rental house was less than satisfying.
Old February 10th, 2005, 03:09 PM   #2
Major Player

Did you record in DVCAM format? What is the brand of the cheap camera you are using for playback? Some brands won't play back DVCAM properly (Most sonys will though)
Old February 10th, 2005, 03:12 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I'm using a Samsung SCD303 for playback.
Old February 10th, 2005, 03:28 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Your PD170 footage was shot in DVCAM mode, which is basically the same as DV, but the tape runs at a faster rate in the transport. Its supposed to be more robust (fewer dropouts).

Many DV cameras will play DVCAM even if they can't record it. Not sure if your camera can. MAybe you have to tell the camera that the tape is DVCAM.

Mike.
Old February 11th, 2005, 04:08 AM   #5
Inner Circle

If you pop back to the camera hire shop with the tape they'll no doubt be able to make you a MiniDV SP copy of your DVCAM original. The quality will be exactly the same. don't worry.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion