Audio Circuits seems messed up at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old February 14th, 2005, 03:32 AM   #1
Major Player

[PD150] Channel Selector Gone Dead

hmph, my cam had a fall the other day but everything worked fine afterwards.... now the channel selector is stuck in ch1·ch2 no matter what i set it to... i don't use both channels religiously, but it is useful when i need to mix a mic with a desk feed or similar.

is it a common problem? i'm guessing its just a wire has come off, but don't really want to strip down that part of the unit myself, looks like its gonna have to go in for repair at my local place. hopefully won't charge too much, but is a complete inconvenience :( lets hope its nothing too complex, or i'll be shelling out a ton of cash for it i'm sure :(
James Connors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2005, 11:06 AM   #2
Wrangler

Never heard of a problem but if all that happened was the switch was damaged after a fall, I'd consider myself lucky.

While the camera is in the shop, I'd have the transport alignment checked too. However, if you've used it and it was misaligned, you may not be able to read tapes made in that condition after they correct the alignment.
Old February 16th, 2005, 01:08 PM   #3
Major Player

Audio Circuits seems messed up

Before I take my camera to the local procam shop, who'll hopefully not charge me too much, just wondering if I can get a diagnostic.

I presumed when I dropped my cam the other night (it fell out of my rucksack :( ) that all was well as it turned on/recorded etc ok, and there were no visible signs of damage. Alas the audio section at the top must've taken a hit as a few days later I noticed a problem.

The symptons MIGHT have changed, as I'm sure I couldn't get any reading on the second input before, and the ch1/ch1·ch2 switch didn't seem to do anything (as if it was stuck in ch1·ch2 mode) but I wrote down the various combinations of results I got tonight.

* When camera is set to CH1*

Input1 = nada.
Input2 = both channels respond to Input 2

* When Camera is set to CH1·CH2*

Input1 = both channels respond to Input 1
Input2 = nada

Turning AGC off I found that the gain control isn't working for channel 1. At the moment, I don't *need* 2 channels of audio, but sometimes its handy. I'll run everything in CH1 mode so I have proper gain on Input 2 and I can run as normal, but is this common? Does it sound expensive ? Hopefully my local place can sort it rather than need to send to a Sony dealer :(
Old February 16th, 2005, 01:46 PM   #4
Wrangler

Sometimes the best thing to do is to Reset the camera which resets all the menu settings. Then sit down with the manual and operate the audio input setup 'by-the-book' and see what happens.
Old February 16th, 2005, 02:05 PM   #5
Major Player

Sorry Mike, I totally forgot I posted the original thread on here! I'll dig out the manual now (PDF, its a second hand camera :) ) and work out the reset. I hoped there'd be one, unless its simply buried in the menus and I haven't noticed it yet :)
Old February 16th, 2005, 03:10 PM   #6
Wrangler

Rear of the switch set panel (near the back of the camera) that is exposed when you open the lcd panel . It's just a hole in the case with the word Reset molded in the same color.
Old February 16th, 2005, 03:41 PM   #7
Major Player

Mike, words cannot express my love ;) I was actually hoping there was a reset, but I have a really poor memory, and forgot to explore the possibility. Its amazing how pressing one tiny button can fix all your problems. Only tested with one mic, but it responded correctly, i'll test the gain control as well in a sec. Annoying I recorded so much footage this last week (about 10 DV tapes full) with a desk feed that was peaking at -25db and kept shouting at the sound guy to turn it up, when all along it was my fault. Doh!

And here's me attacking it with a screwdriver! :)
James Connors is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion