vx2000 traveling through airport at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old February 18th, 2005, 12:47 PM   #1
Tourist

vx2000 traveling through airport

Hi all,
I'm traveling to Orlando for a video shoot for the first time and wondered if anybody has experience with airport security. I'm concerned with my tapes and camcorder making it back through the x-ray equipment to post-production without any data loss. I know there is a counter set aside for special needs people and I wonder if I fall into that category.
I've also considered using fedex to send my tapes back to atlanta and meet me there.

thanks all,
Jeff
Jeffrey Mott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2005, 01:57 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Jeff,
From what I understand FedEx will xray your package (all packages) anyway.. so I don't really see that as an option.

FWIW. I have traveled quite a bit recently (did a shoot in orlando in December in fact). and I have never had a problem with a tape. I carry my camera and tapes with my as carry-on luggage.

matt rickman
Matt Rickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2005, 04:38 PM   #3
Wrangler

I take my 150/PC110, D-70 and tapes all over with no problems. They just want the camera out of the bag while it goes through the xray machine.
Old February 19th, 2005, 01:25 AM   #4
Regular Crew

great thread.

Soon will be doing some flying, is there a special carrying case you guys put your camera into so it's compact enough to get it onto the aircraft instead of in the cargo hold ?

Will be transporting a PD170.

As for the sticks and any other gear that can go into cargo how do you package it ?
Old February 19th, 2005, 09:30 AM   #5
Regular Crew

For my camera(s) I use either a Portabrace CS-DV2 (pretty snug fit for PD170) or a CS-DV3 (ideal for the PD170). For tripod(s) I have used a soft bag and also a hard bag and both were fine (the soft bags do get a little beat-up). I also have a portabrace case that the light kit goes in. Then I put this in a golf bag mummy case (with wheels) and I check this as well..

the hard tripod bag is something like this:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=5572&is=REG

hth
matt rickman
Matt Rickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2005, 10:28 AM   #6
Wrangler

Hi Jeffrey,

Welcome to DVinfo!

As far as xrays and magnetometers and TSA's greasy fingerprints, you don't have to worrry about it. Xrays won't harm hardware or tapes and magnetometers have far too low of a flux to put noise onto tapes -- after all, your ATM cards, computer disks, flash memory, iPods, and all that goes through just fine. But if you want to be especially safe, you can have small, high value items like a clear ziplock of DV tapes hand inspected...although they will probably still be xrayed anyway.

Just be careful to never allow your important or costy stuff to get separated from you; things go missing from checked bags all the time and then you'd be pretty much out of luck. Airlines and the TSA limit their liabity pretty well.

Here's a thread that brings up a number of good points about airline travel:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...&highlight=bag

Here's also the TSA's page regarding film:

http://www.tsa.gov/public/interapp/e...orial_1248.xml

There's a comment at the bottom of that page that "The screening equipment will not affect digital cameras and electronic image storage cards." And before the flaming starts (remember, folks, no politics here on DVinfo), note that they do give pretty clear instructions about handling emulsion film, which IS at risk.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2005, 10:41 AM   #7
Regular Crew

I've never had any problem with airport x-ray machines affecting video tape. In my opinion, you should keep the tapes with you at all times. Things can get lost in the mail, even when Fedex is handling it.

Whatever bag you choose for keeping your camera in the overhead compartment, it should be well very well padded. I'm always concerned about late arrivers who try to stuff an oversized suitcase into an overhead compartment that's nearly full.

A golf case offers excellent protection for a tripod. If you're looking for a less expensive or perhaps temporary alternative, I bought a large cardboard tube used as a mold for cement foundations, wrapped it in duct tape to make it more durable, made end caps out of styrofoam (from some leftover packing material)and put it inside of an inexpensive soft tripod bag. I've checked this in dozens of time and it's held up surprising well.
John Rakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2005, 09:35 PM   #8
Wrangler

I use the camera bag that Sony sells with the camera (for more $ of course) Never any problem and it is semi-rigid so it protects the camera very well.

Sticks either go in the suitcase or in a tripod case or a 6" ABS plastic pipe with one end glued shut with a standard ABS pipe cap and the other end has one of the screw-in plugs and the threaded collar (which is glued onto the tube. Cheap, a little heavy but very protective. Line with foam or just wrap the tripod and slide it in.

Or be brave and carry the tripod on-board. I've seen a few people do this with no problem.
Old February 22nd, 2005, 06:03 PM   #9
Tourist

Thanks all.

I appreciate all the responses, they helped tremendously.

jeff
Jeffrey Mott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2005, 08:35 AM   #10
Major Player

Ihave traveled to both Africa and to Tobago with different airlines this winter from the UK with a PD150 in Pro Bag for the 150/170 and a Miller solo Tri pod in carry case and have manged to get them on as hand luggage.
Mick Jenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2005, 10:10 AM   #11
Regular Crew

I have just come back from Orlando to the uk with my Vx2100, PC350 and 10 tapes with no real problems.
Things to watch out for- This is the only airport that I know that X-rays your carry ons on arrival as well as departure and they will require you to take all the gear out of its cases etc and put through the x-ray in a seperate tray to your bag so pray that you are around the other side to catch it when it goes freefall!
Paul Rickford is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion