Shooting for film at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old April 11th, 2005, 05:39 AM   #1
Trustee

Shooting for film

Next wednesday I will be shooting three shorts that will be blown to 35mm film.

My plan is to use two or three PD150/PD170 cameras for it.

Frame shape will be 16:9. Unfortunately I won't have 16:9 anamorphizers for the lenses. As I do not want to use the camera's internal 16:9 setting, because it will lose resolution, I plan to frame all video for widescreen anyway, doing the masking on the film during transfer.

I absolutely do not want anyone to screen these shorts, when shown on TV, in full screen.

The event will be some musicians playing Brazilian music, lit using some incandescent heads. There will be plenty of close-ups, which I think will disguise better the fact that I am not shooting in film.

If anyone has done any video to film transfer using PD150/170 recordings I would appreciate some advice or tips.

Thanks!

Carlos
Carlos E. Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2005, 11:46 AM   #2
Wrangler

I suggest you contact the people who will do the transfer from DV to film and get their suggestions. Some of their clients might be willing to talk with you.

Truth is, it might be cheaper to shoot 35 or 16 mm film in the first place.
Old April 11th, 2005, 12:52 PM   #3
Trustee

<<<-- Originally posted by Mike Rehmus : I suggest you contact the people who will do the transfer from DV to film and get their suggestions. Some of their clients might be willing to talk with you.

Truth is, it might be cheaper to shoot 35 or 16 mm film in the first place. -->>>

The suggestions I am looking for are specific to those camera models, and getting to talk to lab clients might not be so easy.

It might be cheaper shooting in 16mm, slightly, if I use just one camera. Film was my first choice. But then the number of camera setups I might end up doing would be a lot less than shooting with three cameras. The time window I have for this shoot is very short, as the place I will use and the musicians will be available for just one day. That was a decision I had to make.

A good mid option would be shooting in video for transfer to 16mm, but I could get not quality place over here that is doing such transfers.

The advantage is that I will end up with a 35mm copy that I will be able to send many places. 16mm copies are not such well accepted in festivals, for instance.

Carlos
Old April 11th, 2005, 03:19 PM   #4
Wrangler

Friends of mine that produced Genhis Blues shot in Hi-8, a very little 16mm and moved everything to VHS to send out preview copies to the festivals.

They were accepted at sundance and then had to find $50,000 to have it transferred to 35mm. Fortunately, they found a sponsor.

I understand the need for multiple cameras.
Old April 13th, 2005, 05:08 AM   #5
Trustee

Shooting guideline

Just in case anyone needs a good starting point for shooting for film with a PD150/170, here are some I could check about:

CUSTOM PRESET:

SET OFF
AUTO SHTR OFF
PROG SCAN OFF
D ZOOM OFF

LCD SCREEN:

1) Darken brightness
2) Attenuate color

WIDE MODE:

Off. Shoot in 4:3 mode

Use a semi-transparent tape to set 16:9 guidelines and add a matte during film transfer.

FORMAT:

DV SP

GAIN:

0 dB

SHUTTER:

1/60

DIGITAL ZOOM:

Off

WHITE BALANCE:

Indoor

FOCUS:

Manual

ND FILTER:

Off

AUDIO MODE:

Tell you later how my shooting and blow-up worked out.

Carlos
Old July 17th, 2006, 04:33 PM   #6
Regular Crew

´video!

Hi carlos! dou you have somithing to see?
Luis Ignacio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2006, 05:10 PM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis Ignacio
Hi carlos! dou you have somithing to see?
No really. That project is in stand-by mode, as I will have to shoot more stuff and do a different thing from what I was planning to.

It may not make it to 35mm, and instead become several shorts.

Carlos
Carlos E. Martinez is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion