"Muddy" still photos with PD-150 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old October 28th, 2002, 03:38 PM   #1
New Boot

"Muddy" still photos with PD-150

I am just trying out for the first time my Memory Stick Still Photo capability on my PD-150. I find that every shot I take has an uniformly "muddy" look when uploaded on to my PC that requires severe correction with Adobe Photoshop. The picture is quite different from what I see on my PD-150's LCD screen.

Has anyone else encountered this problem? Is there an adjustment I need to make. (I've already adjusted the gamma on my monitor. Images from other devices appear fine.)

Any solution/comment?
Kaushik Shridharani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2002, 11:49 PM   #2
Major Player

Have you set the quality of the memory stick photo in the menu??
Old October 29th, 2002, 07:48 AM   #3
New Boot

Thanks for inquiring.

Yes, it's set to Super Fine.

I should mention that my PC is actually a laptop with an LCD monitor. JPEG images grabbed from other PD-150s and posted on the net (for example, on the PD-150 Watchdog site) look fine on my laptop's screen.
Old October 29th, 2002, 08:56 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Have you adjusted your camera with the color bars to a monitor or tele to make sure you are getting the proper color?
Also how are you capturing the photo's?
KennJ
Old October 29th, 2002, 08:58 AM   #5
Regular Crew

One more thing

Also have you tried another memory stick in the cam to make sure it is not a problem with the memory stick you are useing?
Old October 29th, 2002, 11:44 AM   #6
Trustee

It wouldn't have anything to do with the memory stick. The memory holds the complete file and since it's zero's and ones it's either ok or unreadable.
Bryan Beasleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2002, 09:56 PM   #7
New Boot

I haven't tried a different memory stick. I don't think I'd be able to read anything at all if that were a problem. The image checks out when outputted directly from the camera (ie, through RCA) to a tele.

I'm just wondering whether the camera codes the saturation/ luminance data in such a way to ensure proper reformulation only on NTSC monitors (which tend to super-saturate). In other words, it's just not geared for computer monitors.

Question is: is anybody making any adjustments when they upload memory-stick images to their PC? If not, then perhaps I just have a problem with mine.
Old October 31st, 2002, 09:30 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Question is: is anybody making any adjustments when they upload memory-stick images to their PC? If not, then perhaps I just have a problem with mine.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No problems here. I get what I see with mine Never have any trouble with any of my computers.
Have you tried useing another computer as a test to see if the problem somehow lies with your computer?
KennJ
Old October 31st, 2002, 02:04 PM   #9
New Boot

no, that's the next thing to try out....thanks
Old October 31st, 2002, 02:21 PM   #10
Wrangler

I don't know if setup level has any effect on the pictures but you might experiment.
Old October 31st, 2002, 02:32 PM   #11
New Boot

I think changing setup modes (0 and 7.5) is only possible in video camera mode. is there a way to play with that in still camera mode?
Kaushik Shridharani is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion