Filming with PD 150 in apine snow conditions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old June 19th, 2005, 06:21 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Filming with PD 150 in apine snow conditions

Anyone had any experience with the PD150 in snow? I've got a gig filming a snow boarder and checked out a rain jacket but the guy at the store said I need a special jacket for cold conditions. Is the cold really an issue? Should I spend the extra two hundred bucks to get this jacket or would thr rain jacket be enough?
Daniel Stevenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2005, 10:48 AM   #2
New Boot

Daniel,
I would suppose that anywhere south of the arctic circle at this time of year will be in at least the 50's during the day. Covering the camera to protect it from sprayed slush is a good idea. Be really careful about taking the camera back indoors after a shoot. If the camera has been exposed to temps of around 50-60 degrees and is then exposed to indoor temps of 70+ degrees with perhaps high humidity then you may well get some condensation throughout the camera. Wrap it in newsprint and then in a plastic bag outdoors before bringing it indoors. Keep it wrapped up for and hour or two indoors before exposing it to the indoor environment. Going from a warm indoors to a cold outdoors isn't a problem, at least for the camera.
Old June 28th, 2005, 08:17 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Mike - that seems to be the similar to the advice I have been getting. Especially grateful for tips on bringing camera back inside - no-one has been that specific. People have said that it is a problem taking the camera from warm to cold conditions, they say condensation builds inside and that I should get the camera cold before I use it.

Anyway I'll believe both and get all bases covered!

Thanks again Mike.

Last edited by Daniel Stevenson; June 28th, 2005 at 09:11 PM.
Daniel Stevenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2005, 10:41 PM   #4
New Boot

Daniel,
Taking a warm camera to a cold outdoors will not cause condensation. Taking a cold camera into a warm indoors will cause condensation. Think a hot cup of coffee outside on a winter day. No condensation. Think an iced drink on a warm humid day. Lots of condensation.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion