Just ordered one -- questions! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old June 28th, 2005, 10:10 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Just ordered one -- questions!

I put in an order today for a VX2100 -- should be in on Monday. I also got the 4 year service plan, an extra F570 battery, some sony mini dv tapes, and a 4-6 firewire cable... I've picked out a tripod that I want but now I'm stuck on filters -- I'm leaning towards a set of Tiffens on eBay and was wondering what you guys would recommend other than a UV and polarizing filter -- 1/2 of my shots will be indoors under fluorescent lights (office building) and the other 1/2 will be outside, in a small plane, or at the edge of a hangar with plenty of daylight.

Couple very stupid/newbie questions... how does the hood fit on with a filter? Also, what other basic accessories would you recommend for shooting a short campus tour and a couple of documentary-style videos?

I'm also considering a new directional mic and possibly a mini to xlr converter if needed??

Also, as far as a carrying case goes, I'm planning on using my Swiss Gear backpack to carry this and the basic accessories around... decent padding but I will add more just in case... no problems hauling a laptop around campus for a year. The gear's only going in my car to the site and back.

Ahhh let me know... too much stuff to think about right now!

Alex
Alex Barabas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2005, 11:05 PM   #2
New Boot

Alex,
A UV and a polarizing filter are probably all you will need.
I use a Tamrac 976 bag. It carries on one shoulder very nicely and stores the gear you would most often want to have with you. Lenses, batteries, charger, mic, cable, etc.
The VX2100 hood should open OK with a polarizing filter and UV filter installed. It will have difficulties with added lenses though. There are other hoods that can be purchased when you go with add-on lenses.
I use a Sennheiser MKE300 ($170) with a Beachtec DXA-4 ($170) as an easy to manage rig for general shooting. I mount the mic on a Minimount by Lightwave Audio ($165). If you use an external mic you should also have a good headset to monitor the sound. (Sony MDR 7506 $120) When and if you use a headset remember that the headset volume is controlled by the same buttons on the monitor that are used to control the volume of the little speaker on the monitor.
Old June 29th, 2005, 09:54 AM   #3
Inner Circle

I think I'd add a wide-angle converter to your kit Alex. Although the VX has a 12x zoom, it's all in the normal to telephoto range, and the cam cries out for a 0.5x converter. You can get zoom through versions and partial zoom through. I like the latter, but then I'm fussy. Get a hood for it too.

If you do buy filters, make sure they're properly multi-coated ones, as they end up being the front element of your camera.

The K6 /ME66 Senheisser mic is a goodie, and more in tune with the capabilities of the cam than the MKE300. You'll love a radio mic for the freedom it brings, but I'm spending your money a bit fast, aren't I?

toim.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2005, 10:32 AM   #4
New Boot

Alex,
Tom is correct. I use my camera a lot while backpacking and I find the MKE300 a lot more user friendly under those circumstances even though it is not as good a performer as the K6/ME66 combo.
Old June 29th, 2005, 01:44 PM   #5
Regular Crew

How's the Sony MDR-V700 for monitoring? I've already got a pair of them for DJ monitoring (just switched from some Sennheiser studio monitors that I used). They seal my ear very well and are damn accurate...
Old June 29th, 2005, 01:50 PM   #6
Trustee

I am very happy with and use the At815B and At835B mics, but you also may want to look at the new Rhode On Camera Video Mic

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation

it has gotten great reviews so far.
Michael Liebergot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2005, 01:59 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I'm bidding on a DXA-4 on ebay right now... I'll check all the mics and see if I can test a couple out from my school's production department. I've used a lot of Rode mics for vocal recording and have had nothing but good experiences with them. What about a mic and some sort of mount where I could use the same mic on a boom as well as on the camera?

As far as batteries go, I can get the F570 for $30 a pop so I will stick to those even though the 770 and 970 perform so much better. Since the camera doesn't come with an external charger and I will have 2 batteries to start off with, I'd like to look at a basic generic charger for the 330 and the 570 -- any experiences w/ them?

Last edited by Alex Barabas; June 29th, 2005 at 03:04 PM.
Old June 29th, 2005, 02:31 PM   #8
New Boot

Alex,
My measures are full ear cup and durability. The frequency range isn't such a big deal to me as my intent is to be sure that there is audio present and that it isn't cutting in and out, clipping, missing a channel, or full of unwanted background noise. The coil cord on the MDR7506 is nice also.

I use the Sony BC-V615. It works with 110V up to 220V 50-60Hz. So anywhere I travel it can be used. Be aware of the 220V feature when you buy a generic charger if you plan to ever be in a 220V country.
Old June 29th, 2005, 02:50 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Which wide angle lens do you guys use? I'm looking for the most bang for the buck -- I will def need one in the plane... but they're not paying me top-dollar either.
Old June 29th, 2005, 03:04 PM   #10
Wrangler

Chose as if you are going to live with the selection for a long time. Much longer than the job.

Century has my vote for quick on and off and rugged mount that doesn't stress the filter threads on the lens.
Old June 29th, 2005, 03:11 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Rehmus
Chose as if you are going to live with the selection for a long time. Much longer than the job.

Century has my vote for quick on and off and rugged mount that doesn't stress the filter threads on the lens.
How well do the filters mount to this lens?
Old June 29th, 2005, 03:15 PM   #12
New Boot

Alex,
I agree whole heartedly with Mike. Don't cut corners on anything with glass in it. The higher cost of good lenses is due to the purity of the glass and the precision of the grind. These two factors plus a good optical design will give a lens that you will use as a lens instead of a paperweight. Good lenses also have good mounts to match. The Century Optics 0.65X WA comes in screw-on or bayonet base. $399.99 at B&H Photo. A 0.5 WA lens is a little more aggressive and the Century Optics 0.55 does not have full zoom through. The 0.65 does. I would recommend the 0.65 for your first wide angle as it will not have any surprises for you.

A cheaper lower quality lens will make you sick with regret one day.

Added:

Century Optics sells a sun shade that fits on the 0.65 WA lens and it will accept an 82mm screw-on filter. Sun shade $160 - Tiffen 82mm Circular Polarizer $100

Last edited by Mike Condron; June 29th, 2005 at 03:40 PM.
Mike Condron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2005, 03:42 PM   #13
Regular Crew

What about the Sony .7x VCL-HG0758? Paperweight?

I'd probably want one with front threading for the filters, correct? You're right -- I don't want to get garbage... I'd rather not get one at all.

Does the VX2100 support both thread and bayonet?
Old June 29th, 2005, 03:50 PM   #14
New Boot

Alex,
The Sony does not have threads in front either. You don't want to put any filters between the camera and the wide angle so don't even think about it.
The Sony is somewhat cheaper than the Century but you may get what you don't pay for.

Here is a page from B&H:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...L-HG0758&Q=&O=

Yes, the VX2100 supports both 58mm threads and bayonet mount. The bayonet mount goes on the same way the lens hood does. You can't have the stock Sony hood and a bayonet mount lens installed at the same time.
Old June 29th, 2005, 04:30 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Ok... so no fluorescent filter even though I will be shooting inside under fluorescent lights? What about an ND filter?
Alex Barabas is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion