PD170 Newbie with Audio Concerns - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old July 11th, 2005, 09:46 AM   #16
Fred Retread

Steve, when you initially said you compared the two cams with AGC off, did that mean that you could turn off AGC in the 950 also and did so?
Old July 11th, 2005, 04:13 PM   #17
New Boot

You can turn the mic level to manual in the menu and adjust the level with the knob. I assumed that is turning AGC off. This function is basically the same as on the PD170.

I think you hit it when you said the consumer cams had hotter mics and picked up a little more ambience. The Azden worked O.K. I just have had allot of positive comments about the audio I have been getting on my 950 and wanted to keep that level on the PD170. I am planning to get a super cardioid better matched to the PD170. Now to figure out which one.

Thanks for everyones help. It is appreciated. I am a complete newbie on this stuff.
Steve Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2005, 08:36 AM   #18
Major Player

I use the ME66/K6 setup with ATT ON. It works flawlessy for the stuff I do.. Here's some features of it.. I do documentary style shooting so it works in the case excellent..

Combination of supercardioid at low frequencies and shotgun above 2000Hz
Excellent mic for on-camera or interview for ENG/EFP use
Will increase gain-before-feedback by using as a podium mic in sound reinforcement
Pat Sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2005, 04:09 PM   #19
New Boot

I ended up buying the ME66/K6 and it works great on the PD170. Thanks for the help.
Steve Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2005, 10:33 PM   #20
Wrangler

The problem with shotguns is that they sound like, well, shotguns. Nothing like a good studio or cardiod. If your needs are to record, say, bird song (bouts) then you will not like a shotgun in that application.

Rent a few cardiods (not studio microphones, they are too delicate I think) but something along the lines of a AT SM81C or the stereo equivalents. I'm not pushing the AT, it just happens to be the microphone I have for faithfully recording engine exhaust and gunshots. AT claims it is designed as an overhead choir and a cymbal microphone. Cymbals (I'm told) have one of the most aggressive sound envelopes in music and this microphone can handle that type of impulse waveforms with little distortion.

I find it works very well at rock concerts too.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion