Still camera lenses at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old April 7th, 2010, 11:42 AM   #1
Tourist

Still camera lenses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hardwick View Post
failing that What?? This must be the Holy Grail for all Mini DV film-makers. Go immediately (if not sooner) to:

Using the Sony TRV900

And bookmark it. You'll never need to ask a question here again - just use the excellent search engine.

I have a Kenko (with two ks) and like it very much, but it's not a zoom through.

tom.
Hi tom I have been checking endlessly on line for a solution for a possible adapter for my VX2000 with my Nikon lenses. Failing that a high quality tele converter and a wide angle converter would do. Any suggestions or links I could read about! thanks Randall
Randall Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2010, 02:03 PM   #2
Inner Circle

When you talk of using Nikon lenses on your VX2k you're meaning a 35mm lens adapter, yes? There's a ton of info on this site about these things.

Telephoto and wide-angle converters in the 58mm attachment thread you require are plentiful, and it's worth looking at Raynox, century, Canon, Sony and so on.

Generally, the more powerful the wide-angle the more barrel distortion you'll have to accept. The more powerful the tele converter the less you'll be able to zoom.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2010, 09:37 PM   #3
Wrangler

Moved the thread to a new start

This sticky thread has become something like a fly paper. Everything is being stuck to it.

Please start a new thread when you have a new subject and don't hijack an existing thread.

One of the problems facing users of still camera lenses is that the lenses, if they were designed for a film camera, take into account the fact that film does not lie flat. I think this may be why the HD cameras didn't start off using still camera lenses which you would think would be perfect for the job.

Fortunately, for most of our cameras, the sensor is quite small and can only use a small portion of the visual field...right where it is the best.

Be cautious in using the DLSR camera lenses that are made for the smaller sensors. They tend to be cheaper and are substantially poorer performers mechanically and with regard to flare, etc., than the more expensive full-frame lenses.

I speak with experience of using the relatively cheap zoom lens supplied with my Nikon D70 and the 60mm Micro-Nikkor when faced with scenes where light gets into the lens.

Also remember that a 35 mm lens is considered to be a 'normal' lens on one of the DF sensor cameras (not full-frame) So on an video camera with an even smaller sensor, it is going to act like a much longer lens.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion