DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   Wide Angle Adapter (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/47930-wide-angle-adapter.html)

Peter Kulka April 24th, 2003 09:21 AM

Wignetting versus lens

This explain, why model VCL-0752 what is actually 52mm thread has wignetting and VCL-H0758 what is actually 58mm thread, has no wignetting if is used on VX2000, because VX2000 has 52mm lens and 58mm lens is bigger and of course is designed for larger lens. Probably the best solution for wignetting can be: Purchase always one step up larger lens and use adapter ring to bring it down to required size of threat.
What do you think? ( professionals).

Tom Hardwick April 24th, 2003 12:03 PM

The VX2k and the PD150 have a 58mm filter thread. The TRV900 has a 52mm thread and the 950 has a 37mm thread. It's not usually necessary to go the step down route and often this can be disadvantageous as it moves the wide-angle converter away from the camera's zoom and this in itself can vignette the image.

tom.

Garret Ambrosio April 24th, 2003 06:56 PM

The VX1K and the VX9K both have 52mm optical filter threads, so with these two cams my converter lens will not vignette?

Tom Hardwick April 25th, 2003 08:02 AM

You asking me Garret? We shall never know - but you will. Shoot one single frame to memory stick with the w/angle converter in place. Open the file in Photoshop (whatever). Is the picture vignetted? If not, all is well and all will be well with your movies, too.

tom.

Garret Ambrosio April 25th, 2003 12:06 PM

Thanks, I'll try that and post on it, that way we all can know.

Guest April 26th, 2003 06:14 PM

Humm... so maybe I should sell my Century Optics .65 WA? I paid about $400

Robert Bobson April 27th, 2003 08:41 AM

So whenever you attach the wide angle lens, you have to unscrew the UV filter from the standard lens in order to mount it?

And then you use the adapter without a UV filter?

Is that true when using the bayonette mount, too?

I have a mount for an old camera that lets you screw the 'base' of the adapter onto your existing lens, and then the wide angle lens "quick mounts" onto that. Is there anything like that for the PD150?

Thanks all.

Bryan Beasleigh April 27th, 2003 11:00 AM

Robert
The WA adapters mount to the 58mm filter threads or the bayonet mount on the outside of the lens barrel that holds the lens hood.

The optex and century bayonet adapters are a two piece assembly that includes both the threaded lens and the bayonet. It comes from the factory assembled and is not available separately.

If you left a filter threaded into the prime lens the bayonet mount wouldn't fit. The thought of mounting either a bayonet or threaded adapter over a filter makes me cringe. Even if it worked, that's not very much holding $400 worth of glass.

Wayne Orr April 27th, 2003 11:16 AM

Why sell your Century, Anne? And what would you buy? Don't believe the above poster who stated that the Canon is as good as the Sony for half the money. I have seen stills from the Canon, and it definitely loses focus at longer focal lengths. But the Canon is a good deal for the money.

The Century consistently receives high marks for quality, Mike Rhemus' situation notwithstanding. Plus, they are a company that stands behind their product. Hopefully Mike will let us know the outcome.

If I hadn't gotten a great deal on the Sony lens, I certainly would have gone for the Century.

Boyd Ostroff April 27th, 2003 05:18 PM

Also, if you consider using a WA adaptor screwed into a filter you should first do a test and look at the entire video frame. You may find some vignetting that doesn't show in your viewfinder. I know this was the case when I tried using one along with an ND filter on my PDX-10, and have read of similar problems on the PD-150.

Vadim Arshavsky June 7th, 2003 02:09 PM

wide lens hood for VCL-HG0758

Can anyone suggest a hood protecting the wide lens VCL-HG0758 from flaring? Thanks.

Tom Hardwick June 7th, 2003 02:51 PM

Depends what the outer (front) diameter of the lens is. I bought a good aspect ratio hood from www.cavision.com for my 0.5x Tecpro widre-angle converter, and it works a treat.

tom.

Bryan Beasleigh June 7th, 2003 07:47 PM

I think the Sony is 95mm, at any rate the cavision Wide Angle hood has a 100mm back mount. You would buy a 100 mm to 95mm slip ring for $5, the hood is $60 US. For $40 more they have a french flag that's as big as an elephants ear.
http://www.cavision.com/LensHood/LH100S.htm

Vadim Arshavsky June 8th, 2003 03:28 PM

Thanks, guys. I checked cavision. They claim their hood fits my lens. I found a similar hood at www.vjcentre.com. Don't know which of them is better. Should I take into account anything except the price?

Bryan Beasleigh June 8th, 2003 07:39 PM

The price is identical, it's whatever floats your boat. Either dealing with the UK or Canada.