DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   Wide Angle Adapter (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/47930-wide-angle-adapter.html)

Dave Largent April 6th, 2004 02:17 PM

You're right, they do look identical.

http://www.exco.it/pagine/cavision/video/dwc05x58.htm

So what problems did you have with the 0.5X Cavisions?
Was there really a wider angle of view than the
Tecpro S? Would you recommend I just stick
with the S and forget about the Z?

Bryan Beasleigh April 6th, 2004 07:01 PM

I do know that Cavision changed their source after Tom tested them.

Dave Largent April 6th, 2004 07:19 PM

How long ago was this change, Bryan?

It looks like the only distributor is the
Cavision company, atleast outside of Europe.
I'm gonna try to get a price on that lens.
Probably isn't cheap.

Bryan Beasleigh April 6th, 2004 08:04 PM

I asked them about the lens last may. The price list is on it's way, check your email.

Tom Hardwick April 6th, 2004 11:43 PM

At the Video Forum in London in February I was told that Cavision no longer had a distributer in the UK, but I must admit that I haven't done a search to find out if it's true. I would suggest that the Tecpro 0.5s might very well suit you Dave. Two other guys have bought the lens on my recommendation and both were very pleased. Mind you - you have to rather like barrel distortion, and I'm not one of those.

Cavision do make some good lens hoods though (as shown on the link you posted Dave). Strange thing is I found the deeper and more efficient hood made for their 0.65x converter worked well on the 0.5x and didn't vignette the image at all.

tom.

Dave Largent April 8th, 2004 04:36 PM

So here's what I know.
Cavision never sent me the requested price list, but
Bryan sent a copy. The price on the 0.5X wide is
$200. With a lens hood it's $250. With a lens hood
and a pouch it's $300.
I did receive a correspondance from someone at
Cavision. I had asked if the vignetting would be viewable on a TV. Here's what I got:

"We have not had any problems with vignetting
with 0.5X w.a. adapter with the PD150. Could you
elaborate on vignetting on a TV screen?"

So I've heard about three different stories about
the vignetting with the "Z". What is appealing to
me is that the Z "0.5X" supposedly gives a much wider
angle of view than the S "0.5X", with less distortion.

Tom Hardwick April 10th, 2004 03:22 PM

Dave - although there are production tolerances at work here - if a lens calls itself a 0.5x converter then it should be just that. Maybe we can accept a + /- tolerance of (say) 0.05x, so a 0.5x lens could in fact be a 0.45x or a 0.55x and still be legally sold under the 0.5x label.

But unless the manufacturer is lying, all 0.5x converters will give viewfinder pictures that look the same. The Z and the S will ''see as wide'' but one may distort more that the other.

tom.

Dave Largent May 7th, 2004 01:29 PM

Anyone know a way I could get this lens? I'm in the USA.

Bryan Beasleigh May 7th, 2004 04:14 PM

Dave
The person you've been talking with at cavision is Jason. He has very little experience in video . The Company owners don't speak english very well either. John Anthony used to work there but he's gone on to bigger and better things. He was well versed in all segments of the industry.

Bob Anderson May 9th, 2004 11:24 AM

I have the TecPro .5S lens here in the US. It does not vingette and is fully zoom through unless you put it on in addition to another filter between the lens and camera then it is slightly soft at the max zoomed in only. It most definately is not the same lens as the Cavision! It does not even look the same. Email me at AndysCam@aol.com if you are interested in obtaining one.

Dave Largent May 10th, 2004 12:40 PM

Well, I took the plunge and decided to go with the
0.5S.

Tom Hardwick May 11th, 2004 12:54 AM

I'm sure you'll like it Dave. For the money it's good and powerful and very sharp. Being a two element means there's less likelihood of internal flares, though it's still worth getting the Cavision LH-100P 3:4 lens hood for it, which fits a treat.

Unlike Bob (above) I've not seen the slight softness he refers to when using the Tecpro on top of my 58mm skylight filter. If you unscrew it to leave the powerful macro lens on your camera, be shure to shoot at pretty small apertures to bring the corners of the frame up to scratch.

tom.

Dave Largent May 11th, 2004 01:29 AM

So for you, Tom, it maintains sharpness on full zoom in?

Tom Hardwick May 11th, 2004 01:41 AM

Yes. Of course when fully zoomed in you're effectively shooting at a focal length of 36mm if you have the Tecpro in place. If you now remove the Tecpro and shoot at the same focal length (now in the middle of your 12x zoom's range) the pictures will be even better. Less distortion, chromatic aberation, flare and even greater sharpness. This is the same for all add-on lenses of course, and is not a criticism of the Tecpro alone.

tom.

Dave Largent May 11th, 2004 02:31 AM

How are the coatings on that S? Is the lens
prone to flare, or not too bad?