Extended Warranty? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old November 5th, 2002, 11:17 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Extended Warranty?

I know that these Extended Warranty programs are usually a scam, but a 4-year extended for $199, on a $2,400 camera makes me feel a little more at ease. I guess my question is for those who have had a VX2000 for over a year, have you needed the extended warranty? Also, how expensive are the repairs, and do VX2ks have a history of wearing out after a year? What advice can you guys give me on this? Thanks.

Moore
Jason D. Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2002, 11:53 PM   #2
Wrangler

I cannot comment on the repair history of the 2000/150. My 150 broke within 3 weeks and Sony fixed it. I purchased the 2 year extended warranty from B&H which is from Mack.

In truth, I would have been better off to pay Armatos their very high lifetime service policy because I would have had a loaner camera while mine was being repaired. Armatos, as a part of their service policy also clean and align your camera every year.

But the warranty has to be evaluated based on the reputation of the issuing company and what you get for the $199. I'd guess for the price you will get not much more than a repair if it fails. Which may be OK. If you think of it as pure insurance, then maybe $50 per year is OK. But read the Terms and Conditions of the extended warranty very carefully.
Old November 6th, 2002, 12:21 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Armatos?

Hrm.. what exactly is Armatos? Sounds interesting...

Moore
Old November 6th, 2002, 12:52 PM   #4
Wrangler

Go to www.armatos.com and visit their web site. Good people from all reports. I've not purchased anything from them as yet. I should have bought the 150 from them instead of B&H but only because of my particular camera experience and need to use the camera during the 4 weeks it was out-of-my-shop.
Old November 7th, 2002, 02:21 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Hrmm... Armatos doesn't seem to carry VX2000 in their online store, looks like I'll have to call them to find a price.

Moore
Old November 7th, 2002, 01:58 PM   #6
Wrangler

It is a Pro store so they might not carry it. But I'd be surprised.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion