New to the VX2100 Have Questions & Report at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old September 10th, 2010, 07:44 PM   #1
Regular Crew

New to the VX2100 Have Questions & Report

Maybe one of the VX2100 veterans here can give me some insight and a jump start.
The report:
I just got a Demo condition VX2100 from Adorama. The only sign of use is on the hood. The rest is pristine.
It came with two stone dead Sony NP-F330 batteries and one Sony NP-F750 at 75% charged.
No memory card and a cable that has the RED, White & Yellow on one end and a stereo type plug on the other end. The book shows composites on both ends. Huh?
I'll call them ans see what happens.

The only operational defect is the menu select and push wheel is jumpy when navigating the menu. If I lightly touch it the highlight will jump to and from selections. ? Send it Back ? I manage to make it work but sheesh.

I am a DSLR manual settings shooter but new to this fun stuff.
I am wondering if the camera can be manually setup to match the AES Low Light setting?
Also, does anyone know the settings it uses. What shutter speed and gain and such? Does taking the Auto Shutter speed off effect the AES settings?

So far I really like it. But for the menu wheel and if I return it for an exchange (if they have one) what will the next one have out of shape, so I may keep it unless you guys see this is a sign of bad things to come. I did get a 2 yr MACK.

I got the camera because I am a private investigator and need to have a MiniDV format and better low light performance than my Panasonic PV-GS500. So far the VX2100 is blowing it away.
Old September 10th, 2010, 10:52 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I can't answer all your queries but the 330s being dead doesn't surprise me. As far as I'm concerned they are useless. I have 2 or 3 or them laying around and I don't think they've been charged in more than 5 years. I have never ever used them but you might try charging them and see what happens.

The menu wheel being jumpy is fairly common. On my 170 and 150 they were jumpy but they got fixed by Sony when I sent the cameras in for normal service a couple of years ago. The wheels do get very touchy over time.

Yep, the compostie cables should have red/white (audio) and yellow (video) on both ends. Of course a set of cables is pretty cheap if you really need them and they won't take care of it. Walmart, Target...stores like that have them on the shelf.

Definately turn the auto shutter off. Otherwise in the AUTO mode the camera will default to SHUTTER which can be problematic. Let the iris open by default then if necessary you can lower the shutter speed and or increase the gain. I've gone as high as 18 and while the image is grainy it is still acceptable depending of course what is taking place, fast action can fall apart at 18 so play around with it . I think you might find you don't need to go that high.

I'm not familar with the AES low light setup but by trying some differnt manual setups you should get pretty close. I would start at 1/60th shutter (auto shutter off) iris wide open, and set the gain to 12. Adjust from there. Start with gain to 15 then shutter to 15 then both if need be. Keep in mind that as you zoom in tighter the iris will ramp closed. I think the rear AUTO/MANUAL switch on the 2100 is like the 150/170. There should be a 3rd position. LOCKED. Move the switch all the way down and all of your exposure setting lock. Keep in mind that if anything, shutter, iris or gain is in auto the camera will default to that.

It sounds like the only thing really "wrong" is the jumpy wheel which as I said is a pretty common issue with VX and PD cameras so I would try to work out the cable thing with them and just play around with the camera to really learn what it can do.
HTHs
Old September 11th, 2010, 09:49 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks,

I did some searching here and found a thread about the wheel issue and it being solved with contact cleaner. I'll be trying that.

I will call Adorama and attempt to hold their feet to the fire about the memory card. We like to use the still shot feature to keep from having to fish through footage to show key points of a case or location.

I'll also mention the batteries and cord and maybe because I am in the 15 day return period they will cater to me. :-)
Old September 12th, 2010, 07:01 AM   #4
Sponsor: Adorama

Alan

I'm so sorry that you received dud batteries; that should not have happened at all. Please email me your order number: HelenO@adorama.com and I will have replacements sent out to you.

As to the memory card, I'll need to check whether that was meant to have been included in the package.

Once again my apologies, and I do look forward to hearing from you.

BTW our returns period has now increased to 30 days, so you are well within time!
Old September 12th, 2010, 09:45 AM   #5
Regular Crew

How nice, You have email.

Thanks

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion